Kimber Ultra CDP II vs. Springfield Micro-Compact

Kimber Ultra CDP II vs. Springfield Micro-Compact

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra CDP II vs. Springfield Micro-Compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking to purchase a small frame 1911 and its a toss up between the Kimber Ultra DCP II and the Springfield Loaded ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Ultra CDP II vs. Springfield Micro-Compact

Question Kimber Ultra CDP II vs. Springfield Micro-Compact

I have been looking to purchase a small frame 1911 and its a toss up between the Kimber Ultra DCP II and the Springfield Loaded Micro-Compact LTWT Bi-Tone.

Both look and feel pretty good.

The Springfield is cheaper and has a lifetime warranty. Not sure about the Kimber, heard some good and some bad.

Any words of wisdom from the group?

Thanks,

Jeff
    Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

I have two CDP II's...the Pro, and the Ultra...the Ultra has been my EDC for over two years...it's been 'PERFECTO'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have the Springfield Micro Compact Loaded model. It has not been without its challenges. I have an early model that I got used and cheap. I think it was going due to the feed problems. I tried new springs, mag-release, different ammo and ended using Wilson Combat magazines... with these it shoots fine. NO issues since with hundreds down the tube. It is nice to carry and I just ordered an IWB from Brigade to extend the season with it. I have heard many good things about the kimber and in fact was going to buy one, but could not justify the extra $400-$500...

Here is mine with the Wilson Combat magazines, tactical mag release, magwell, and a K&D holster...

If your not packin' your slackin'

Its better to have and not need than to need and not have, keep it safe but keep it loaded!

USN : Desert Storm

Bender ---- I have a Kimber 'Ultra CDP II' that's a year old.

Go to my Post yesterday, titled 'Broken Kimber', to read of my problem and the responses I received. You'll see some Pros and Cons about Kimber. Frankly --- I love the little pistol and intend to give it a 2nd chance!! Good Luck with your choice!

Regards
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Prvt. Toter View Post
    Here is mine with the Wilson Combat magazines, tactical mag release, magwell, and a K&D holster...

Nice set up... I see you have the one with the rails.
    Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    Go to my Post yesterday, titled 'Broken Kimber', to read of my problem and the responses I received. You'll see some Pros and Cons about Kimber. Frankly --- I love the little pistol and intend to give it a 2nd chance!! Good Luck with your choice!

Regards
    Thanks Desperado,

Good read. I was at a gun show today and almost bought a Kimber Ultra CDP II. I really liked the bobbed edges and it really felt good in my hand. I am glad I decided to go home and think about it.

I don't like the idea of paying over a grand for a gun and then have to purchase a third party magazine to keep everything feeding right.

I guess I should with the Springfield if for nothing else but the life time warranty.

Anybody got anything to add... good or bad about the Springfield or Kimber?

Thanks...

Bought Kimber UC CDP II new, still have it. Bought Springfield Loaded Micro used, promptly sold it. I may have gotten a lemon passed on, but it would not feed anything, even with Wilson and Cobra mags. Shot these side-by-side with same ammo and mags. Kimber ran flawlessly, Springer sucked big time. Here are my two, now one! I think either would be fine, but I think the Kimber is the better, even without the FTF problems of the Micro.

Bender,

Yes, I have the light as well. Springfield sells this as a package deal. The light is really nice, very bright, but will most likely never be used. I will eventially send the springer back to the maker for a once over on it, but for now I am happy with it... I still fondle the CDPII's at the local shops every time I get the chance...

A better approach might have been to just get the 3.5 inch barrel... there are a lot less reports of issues with those, and the barrell length is not usually the issue in concealment anyways..

Good luck...
    If your not packin' your slackin'

Its better to have and not need than to need and not have, keep it safe but keep it loaded!

USN : Desert Storm

JD
    Administrator
    All I'm going to say is this, I've had (not counting Lima's two) two Kimber custom shop CDPs, and one Springfield, I no longer have my Kimbers, I still have my Springfield.

Difficult choices for us to make!! So many really good pistols to choose from!!! All of us have had different experiences with each choice!! 30 years ago, who would have dreamed that a 1911 gun could go down to 3 inches and still have the capacity of 7 + 1 ---- or, extend the mag and have as many rounds as you want!!!?? Certainly not me!!!
    I'm a dyed in the wool Colt guy and my Kimber Ultra CDPII has disappointed me with its 'durablilty'. I will give it another chance, and hope that it will become a 'winner' like so many Kimber owners brag about! I sure like the 'melted' concept for a carry gun!! Have never found another that rivals its ease of carry in a 1911!!
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

No experience with Springfield, but i do want the EMP 9mm.

My Kimber Ultra CDP II has performed flawlessly and i carry it daily in a Kangaroo holster under my dress shirt.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Quote Originally Posted by Dihappy View Post
    No experience with Springfield, but i do want the EMP 9mm.

My Kimber Ultra CDP II has performed flawlessly and i carry it daily in a Kangaroo holster under my dress shirt.
    I like the Springfield EMP as well but I want to stick to the .45. I see that the EMP is coming out in a .40 S&W. That should be a sweet gun.

I have been reading some good things about the Colt Defender. Maybe I'll go back to the gun show today and check them out. Anybody using a Colt?

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    My everyday carry piece is the SA Micro Compact Loaded. Never a problem of any sort and it eats anything I feed it without a hiccup. Lifetime warranty on the thing, what more could a guy want?

My experience with the Kimbers I have had/have has not been so stellar. Give the Kimber folks a call and you will be asked how many times have you fired it? What ever your answer, be it 10 times or 1000 you will be told it isnt broken in yet. IMHO they are stalling for time until the 1 year warranty runs out.

I am well aware that Kimber has made some very nice guns in the past, but am of the opinion that their quality control has flown the coop in the last few years, starting with that POS with the external extractor.

My EDC is a Kimber Ultra CDP II. I bought it new and now have about 2000 rounds through it. It's been absolutely reliable, is quite accurate and comfortable to shoot. Even more comfortable for carrying since I put on the slimline Alumagrips. I carry IWB in a Tucker Answer at about 4 o'clock. SD ammo is Winchester Ranger SXT 230gr.

Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Having owned a Kimber Ultra CDP II, and currently owning a Pro and an Ultra Aegis II, I'd jump on the CDP II and not look back! Dennis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links