Springfield ss loaded champion

This is a discussion on Springfield ss loaded champion within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a new champion last wek and just got out to break it in. I fired 250 rounds without a problem one it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield ss loaded champion

Springfield ss loaded champion

I picked up a new champion last wek and just got out to break it in. I fired 250 rounds without a problem one it was loaded. I did have several times it did not go fully into battery when chambering the first round. I used the slingshot metod and the slide stop had the problem either way. I was a little worried before bringing it out as this gun locks up like a vault no play what so ever in any direction. But as a say it was trouble free. I think the first round issue will go away after a few hundered more rounds. The trigger was tight out of the box and seemed to loosen from about 6# to what feel more like 4.5# but this is only a guess. I think I may get this bobtailed for carry if it continues to proform the way it did today for another 1000 rounds or so. All an all a nice 1911 it is my first springfield but I have had or do have several Kimbers. I like the springfield better. Anyway let me know what all you think about Springfield 1911'sis it worthy of being a carry gun?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    My SA Champ did the same thing. It took about 100 rnds to break it in nicely. I find Hydrashocks did hang on the feed ramp when loading the first round, but under cycling during firing it never has jammed.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

New Member Array southlandcowboy's Avatar
    I've cycled about a thousand rounds through my Champion (so far), and I've never had a problem with it loading the first round. Course, I did switch the factory 7-round mags for Wilson Combat 8-rounders before I even shot it. This might help in your case.

Altho I'm no expert-- this was the first 1911 I bought--I think the Stainless Champion is a great carry gun. It's not too heavy, it fits the hand like a glove, and the 4" barrel clears the holster in a flash.
    Duke in Southern CA
    NRA Life Member/ UT CCW permit holder
    Springfield Champion 45 stainless
    Glock 22
    S&W 686 357 Magnum 7-shot
    "I support gun control. I use both hands."

I do believe that most feeding problems with ALL 1911's are mag related. If you have a problem with the feeding that is the first place to look.

SA builds quality firearms and the SS Champion is no exception. Cant beat their lifetime warranty either.

are you sure you were not limp wristing it ? have a gunsmith polish the feed ramp.......I had the same problem 15 yrs ago . make sure your thumb isn't hitting the slide release ????? you can't go wrong with a springfield IMO .

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Gave my 94 vintage Champion to my deputy friend who is an ex US Coast Guard Gunners Mate as it didn't like Winchester Silvertips or LSWC's. After he did a light polishing of the feed ramp and barrel throat it became a very hungry gun and has now fed everything I've put through it without any FTF's. I also use nothing but Wilson 8 rd. mags in both of my 1911's and highly recommend them. Try lubricating your pistol with Militec-1 MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil following their directions. I started using their product about 2 years ago and swear by it. Hope the Champ works out for you as mine has become my favorite CCW.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    Gave my 94 vintage Champion to my deputy friend who is an ex US Coast Guard Gunners Mate as it didn't like Winchester Silvertips or LSWC's. After he did a light polishing of the feed ramp and barrel throat it became a very hungry gun and has now fed everything I've put through it without any FTF's. I also use nothing but Wilson 8 rd. mags in both of my 1911's and highly recommend them. Try lubricating your pistol with Militec-1 MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil following their directions. I started using their product about 2 years ago and swear by it. Hope the Champ works out for you as mine has become my favorite CCW.
    I like Metalform magazines as well as Wilson. Metalform is a good company to deal with, they are fast, efficient, and courteous. Regards, Richard

Huh? I've had no problems with my Loaded Champ and use only the stock magazines.

VIP Member
    I'm surprised to hear the issue with the first round too. I have not had a single problem with my SS Loaded Champion. No biggie though, you can always have the chamber worked on to slick 'er up if you need to later. I use Wilson magazines.

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Thumper, Where did you get them cool grips from? I LIKE em!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Well 600 + RDS and problems getting worse too many to count. So I sent it off to springfield. I am however having trust that they will make it right. I'm having it bobtailed, the MSH and front stap serrated and a few other things done. So I really like the feel of this gun I just hope it will function perfectly so I can use it as my ccw.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    Thumper, Where did you get them cool grips from? I LIKE em!
    I bought them from this fella: 1911 Subdued Tactical STEALTH Punisher Skull Grips! - eBay (item 250221764050 end time Mar-09-08 16:45:59 PDT)

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Do you guys find them hard to carry? I was about to order a P7, then I started looking at 1911s again. I'm narrowing it down to the loaded champ or ultra compact. I cant decide if the champ is too big for me.

I looked at a kimber but it had an alloy frame, I like the springfield with the SS frame.

New Member Array southlandcowboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    Do you guys find them hard to carry? I was about to order a P7, then I started looking at 1911s again. I'm narrowing it down to the loaded champ or ultra compact. I cant decide if the champ is too big for me.

I looked at a kimber but it had an alloy frame, I like the springfield with the SS frame.
    I guess there are trade-offs in everything. Sure the SS champ's heavier than a similar sized alloy or polymer gun, but it sure is a beaut and, for me, it was just as much about how it fit and felt in the hand (which is great). Add to that the fact that the additional weight limits recoil and thus allows more accurate shot placement under pressure--and that tipped the balance for me.

Hope that helps.
    Duke in Southern CA
    NRA Life Member/ UT CCW permit holder
    Springfield Champion 45 stainless
    Glock 22
    S&W 686 357 Magnum 7-shot
    "I support gun control. I use both hands."

Thanks. I don't think the weight would be a problem, I was looking more at the 4" barrel and longer grip than the ultra-compact or micro compact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links