Anybody CCW the CZ75 full size all steel pistol?

This is a discussion on Anybody CCW the CZ75 full size all steel pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering a 9mm. I really thoght about the Browning Hi-Power...but I favor DA and I like the improvements CZ has made since the 1935 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody CCW the CZ75 full size all steel pistol?

Anybody CCW the CZ75 full size all steel pistol?

I'm considering a 9mm. I really thoght about the Browning Hi-Power...but I favor DA and I like the improvements CZ has made since the 1935 final masterpiece. I like the all steel concept...no more plastic or lighter metal conglomerations for me. I also like the longer barrel which will give the 9mm a better chance to expand than the shorter barrels. I'm presently carrying a GP100 revolver so I'm not all that particular about weight. I actually prefer the idea of the larger, heavier pistol.

So...who carries the full size CZ75. Requesting feedback on your experiences...changes, such as grips, mag bumpers, etc.

2. Remove Ads

I have the CZ-75 PCR Compact, which is much easier to carry around than the full size CZ-75.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I have. Great gun; you won't ever regret owning it.
    It carries (for me, anyways) just the same as a 1911 (my favorite carry). It is thicker, being a double-stack, but since the 9mm is notably smaller diameter than the .45, the whole gun is not really noticably thicker than the 1911, and the same (perceived) weight. In fact, I have a couple holsters that fit both guns equally well (one I made, one I bought). Same tickness, same weight, same length (both full-sized, not compact), 16+1 Vs 7+1, Single-action-only Vs (true) DA/SA, 1 reload Vs 2 or 3 for more firepower, accurate far beyond my abilities, and never (NEVER!) had it fail to function perfectly (Pre-B; traded for it, already over 25 yrs old). Hard choice. It's what I took my CHL test with, and I always have it as a fail-proof back-up for any classes I take.
    Why do I still (mostly) carry my 1911 instead? If you can figure it out, please tell me.
    When I'm travelling, I do mostly carry the CZ and a couple mag's (with my PF9 for BUG); around town, I mostly carry my 1911 and a couple mags (or my PF9 if, by circumstance, I have to). With the 147gr 9mm SXT +P loads, I'm as comfortable and confident with 9mm as I am with .45acp. The all-steel CZ can take +P as a steady diet with impunity (probably even +P+ but I don't have any, and I don't care to try to find or afford them).

You won't regret it. With the weightof the all-steel model the recoil of the 9mm is tamed beyond description, another plus. My kids even love shooting it, it's so tame!

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

I carried a CZ85 for a while and didn't find it to be an issue. I stopped because the sights sucked on the gun I had and weren't easily replacable (older transitional model).

I've since started shooting an SP01 and I remembered how much I love the CZ platform, so I've ordered a new 85 Combat for carry.

When I carried my old one, it was in a UBG Canute (it was a strikerII back then). Very comfortable for all day carry, and quick presentation. For my new one, I've ordered a Kirkpatrick TXC as I plan to shoot it in IDPA occasionally and want a reinforced mouth for reholstering.

You can also get compact version that has a slightly shorter barrel and grip, but I never had any trouble concealing the full size CZ frame. I'd probably carry my SP01 if there was any leather available for it.

Joe

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    IF you can pack around a Gp100, you can carry on of these with ease.

My current winter carry gun. Nites and Lasergrip.
    IMHO, the 75B Stainless is the best of the standard 75B models.
    They did things right with this one!

Good luck with your eventual CZ purchase, WE would love to have you.

Just hop into my CZ-ZONE or the forum to look at pretty CZs:)

KEV
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

I do...well...I do now... I carry it IWB in a Leather Arsenal Surprise Special. Conceals like a 1911 or XD.... I'm planning to get a Crossbreed Supertuck for my XD, so the CZ will soon see other duty.

I've found the CZ to be a fine weapon. The only spiffy stuff on mine is a Hogue wrap-around grip. Now...for aftermarket quality mags...... I've heard that the Pro-Mag springs are weak, but that the Mec-Gar's are okay. Check the CZ forum for specific info.

Be safe,
    Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

I've got a IMI Baby Eagle in .40 cal (Copy of the CZ75) with a Kramer IWB holster. It's all steel and a great carry gun but I prefer my Sig Pro .40 with the polymer frame and a bit lighter. I usually carry it in a Crossbreed holster or a Smartcarry depending on the situation and my mood. The Baby Eagle has been turned into the house gun with a rail adapter and a M-6 flashlight/laser.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I do carry the full size 75B in a C-tac IWB, usually all weekend. A good holster & a sturdy belt and I do feel it but not uncomfortably. I've taken naps with it on.

It probably does help that I balance the weight with an extra mag, Letherman Surge and a PL7 flashlight on the other side.

And BTW the CZ 75 is not a descendant of Hi Power. IN fact there's a great article about just that here . Its a common misconception.

Thank you all for your replys...um, that SS version of the CZ75 does look awesome! I've finally come to the conclusion that I want an all steel full size weapon. No smaller, lighter, miniscule barrel, etc., for me at this point in life. I want a full size barrel...too many sacrifice a small barrel weapon that will not produce the velocity needed for a bullet to mushroom...nor will the muzzle flip on the light weapon proffer the needed follow up shots to actually stop a 300 lb aggressor hopped up on drugs. Hell...with all the gear I carried in the military (the Kevlar Helmet alone weighs 11 lbs) I imagine I can muster up the discipline/physical stamina needed to carry a full size pistol on a belt. If I go with OWB, I'll get one of Belt Man's reinforced belts with the stiffener.

I CCWed a fullsize CZ75 for a few years -- I found the Kramer canted belt scabbard to be an excellent OWB for heavy guns like the CZ.

I don't carry a CZ but I am known to carry my Browning Hi Power every once and a while.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Here are some shots of the old thing.
    Attached Images
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I've carried my CZ75B a couple of time but, my gosh, that thing is heavy! Heavier than a full sized 1911 and the grip is wider which makes it harder to conceal.

The other drawback that i have found for the CZ 75 is that the DA trigger reach is very long for me. Most of the time when I'm target shooting with it, I'm firing SA and the trigger is in the right place for me but a draw and fire is somewhat awkward for me to get a good reach to the trigger.

If I'm going to carry a 9mm, it's usually a Sig 228, definitely lighter in weight. However, most of the time I carry either a Sig 220 (45), or a compact 1911.

The CZ is a great gun, but for me, I've concluded that there are better CCW weapons.

Of course, for 9mm, the High Power is thinner and lighter weight. It makes for better CCW IMO.

Ken

I have a CZ75 that I've owned for over 20 years. Got it long before it was available in the US, and I carried it for a couple of years. However, I always wore a suit or jacket so it wasn't too difficult to conceal. The good things about the gun are that it is dead reliable and extremely accurate. Mine also has a SA trigger that is almost target gun quality. And at the time, the DA trigger was better than anything else around. But today it serves as one of my house guns. There are easier things to carry both in terms of weight and concealment. Today I would not choose it as a carry gun.

When I retired I decided to get rid of most of my hi-cap 9's. I sold the SIG's, Glocks, Star, Beretta, and S&W's and kept a couple of Brn. p-35's and the CZ75. That was a dozen years ago, and they are still the only hi-caps I have because there is nothing I like better in a full size 9mm.

Ok. I missed my flight this morning so I had a few hours to kill and decided to run some errands. Since my Sig was locked up in my suitcase, I decided to strap on the old CZ85 in it's UBG Canute holster.

Now, I've only had it on for a few hours, but it's perfectly comfortable. I don't feel that it's that much heavier than my GSR and it completely disappears under an untucked shirt. Now I really can't wait to get my new one!

ken45, if the long DA stroke bothers you (as it does me), don't forget that the CZs with manual safety are perfectly suited to Condition 1 carry - especially the B models with a firing pin safety. The CZ75SA in single action might be a good match for you too.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links