Defensive Carry banner

Magazine Disconnect

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  allenruger 
#1 ·
What are some handguns that have this feature. I had been looking at the XD, but found out it does not have this. It may not be much, but it is a feature that after some research, I think I would like to have (kinda the last ditch effort if ever needed). Do any of you know of any pistols similar to the XD that have this feature? What are some other features you guys/gals have found that you like/dislike? I did not like the idea of an external safety, but hey, that's just me.

Thanks,
bm

#2 ·
Similar to the XD? S&W's M&P line are sold with them as a standard item; you can get them without, but I believe those are for LEOs only.

Not-so-similar to the XD: the Browning High Power and S&W "classic" semi-autos have them as well.

I don't mind a mag disconnect safety and I like external safeties for their weapon retention/safety qualities.

#9 ·
S&W M&P you can buy with or without... No LEO difference. My MP40 compact does not have one or a "lock" and I'm not a LEO.

My S&W 6946 does but does not worry me at all. It has always been a 100% reliable. :urlaub2:

#3 ·
I think the Browning High Power has a magazine disconnect safety. There was a thread pretty recently about this - it was a poll. Hope this helps.

I personally prefer the ablility to fire my guns when I need to - whether there is a magazine inserted or not. Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

Austin

#7 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll check that thread. I have heard some of the ups and downs of having one. I can see where having it would allow you to drop the magazine if you were to lose your weapon. I also understand that you may not have the ability to drop the magazine, and having an external safety that your foe is unfamiliar with could prevent them from being able to fire the weapon. It's a toss up on which way to go with this one. The hope is that I never lose control of my weapon, but you have to be prepared for the worst right?!

#8 ·
Ruger likes mag disconnects. I assume (though I am not certain) that the SR-9 would have one.

#12 ·
Thanks guys. I read through the old thread and I'm not sure which way to go now. I'm gonna check out the M&P and see what I think. It was on my short list of guns that I liked, so maybe I'll revisit it. I think I had myself convinced that it would be a useful funtion, but after reading through the old thread I'm not so sure. As was mentioned a few times, it would be practical for LEO's who routinely come into close contact with individuals who know they are armed. I will not find myself in a similar situation, and will have the advantage of a concealed firearm. Tangle made a good case for a magazine disconnect. I will be taking all these points of view into consideraton.
Thanks,

bm

#13 ·
barracudamagoo,
Keep in mind, the scenarios presented claiming the mag connect would prevent you from firing the last round, are hypothetical. I challenged every one to find a real incident report where the mag disconnect had a negative impact. You notice no one could.

But Massod Ayoob alone reported a number of incidents where the mag disconnect saved lives in various SD situations. He claimed in the same article, he could not find and was not aware of a single incident where a mag disconnect had a negative impact in a SD situation.

#14 ·
This has been what I have been thinking about. Also the more I looked at the XD (my first choice) the less I liked the grip safety and trigger safety. It just seems like to much to have to worry about going wrong. Granted, semi's have moving parts already, so what should one or two more matter; with the XD it just seemed like too much. I'd rather have a single thumb safety or the like.
I guess the basis of my question is, in a scenario where I am about to lose possesion of my pistol, is it more likely that I would be able to drop the magazine and render it useless, or would an external safety provide enough confusion to my assailant allowing me to escape. I don't like the idea of not having any sort of back-up in that type of scenario.

#15 ·
...I guess the basis of my question is, in a scenario where I am about to lose possesion of my pistol, is it more likely that I would be able to drop the magazine and render it useless, or would an external safety provide enough confusion to my assailant allowing me to escape. I don't like the idea of not having any sort of back-up in that type of scenario.
According to studies and reports, Masod has found that both of those mechanisms have saved lives. Some cases involved 1911s with thumb safeties and some involved a magazine disconnect.

I currently and often carry a Sig that has neither and I'm fine with or without a mag disconnect. What I like about the mag disconnect is not the 'tactical' considerations, but pure convenience and extra flexibility it provides. If the gun has a mag disconnect, I can remove the mag and the gun is inert. I can then place it in a glovebox etc. and it is still inert even with the round in the chamber. When I come back all I have to do is holster an inert gun, a insert the magazine, and drive off.

There are certainly other viable options for storing a gun in a vehicle, but the mag disconnect minimizes load/unload issues and prevents someone from stealing the gun from the vehicle and having a loaded gun. It's just convinence to me, but I also appreciate the tactical option, although I don't really plan on using it.

#17 ·
I've read Masod for years in several publications. I suspect the article(s) would have been in American Handgunner or Combat Handguns. I no longer have the magazines. It's one of those things you kinda go, hmmm...., make a mental note to remember it, and ditch the source.

Wish I could be of more help.

#18 ·
You have been plenty of help. I've been very happy with the volume and quality of responses on this site. I've been to a few others, and there just doesn't seem to be the same quality of replies. I will be going to the gun shop tomorrow to check out the M&P, and a few others. S&W is made in the good 'ol USA too, so for me, this is a selling point as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.