Wheel gun question

Wheel gun question

This is a discussion on Wheel gun question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been been hear for a while reading about revolvers. I see a lot of you guys favor S&W, and Ruger. But what do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wheel gun question

I have been been hear for a while reading about revolvers. I see a lot of you guys favor S&W, and Ruger. But what do you all think about charter Arms, from what i have seen S&W and Ruger about 2 time the cost of a Charter Arms. So what is the dill with Charter Arms? I it a bad MFG? Or what??

thanks for all your input

johnny

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Never owned but one Charter Arms revolver, but it was a pretty decent gun. Front sight fell off after a couple of years, still a decent gun for the money. Quality control might not be as good as some others, but the little gun was accurate enough for cefensive work and reliable as your mother.

In my opinion there are about 5 different levels of handguns; with the upper end 5 being a truly custom one of a kind handgun that was developed for the individual owners.

In this same thinking, I would give a 3 or average to say an S&W 38 special.

Reason S&W 38s are very reliable, know for smoothness of operation, and quality workmanship. For these same reasons I would give the Charter Arms a 2.

Will it work as your mouse gun? Certainly, I carry a Kel-Tec second generation P3AT just about everyday, and at best, I would give it a 2. If your wanting to buy a handgun to practice at the range with? Then in my opinion, the Charter Arms 38 would not be a good choice.

Hope this helps.

I have never owned one but I would take a chance on the .22 magnum and the .44 special.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Just insert "Charter Arms" where you see The word Taurus.

Why I don't work on Taurus revolvers | Revolvers, Gunsmithing, Personal opinions | GRANT CUNNINGHAM

I favor S&W or Ruger, but a Charter Arms will get the job done. It is a gun that I would leave "stock" except for perhaps the stocks, and even then I would hesitate to spend much money.

Some of us have a little "extra" money and can afford to "tinker" with something to try and bring out the true mechanical ability of a gun.

Take care and stay safe, Biker

I have a CA Undercover.

in .38 spl. I like it. I dont love it. I had a SW J-frame that i sold and have been kicking myself around over since then. I would buy this gun again but not at the price I paid. Using the above poster's scale I would give it a 2.5. Decent finish, decent action. Fairly accurate for a short revo. I like it for the range, and I do a fair amount of teaching, so this makes a good transition from a .22 revo and a .22 auto before going to larger calibers. All in all.............2.5 for carry and I like it even more just to shoot. Fun little gun.

Added: Forgot to add......there is a little bit of end cylinder shake and quite a bit of swingarm (right word?) movement too. Not to hijack the thread but if anyone knows how to take the swingarm shake out could you please let me know?
    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    --Thomas Paine December 19, 1776

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
    --Abraham Lincoln

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/13226.htm

Charter

I have an old .44spl and an old .38. I gather the old ones are of better quality than the new ones. The new ones are made by MKS, the folks who gave the shooting world the Hi Points. The finish is much rougher and the manufacturing seems to be cheaper on the new ones.

Never owned one, but the Lady next door does. I took her to the range and had the opertunity to fiire the .38 Undercover. It went bang everytime but emitted a huge flame from the cylinder gap. If you are considering the Charter for a CCW, I would rather bet my life on a Smith J frame. You can probably find a nice used J frame in mint condition for the price of a new Charter arms. Just my 2 cents
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have an old 44 spl Charter House that I bought reasonable.It goes bang everytime I pull the trigger but I certainly wouldn't put it in the same catergory as S&W OR Ruger.

Wow. And there I was thinking that it was not all that bad. Good thing I was hear to ask ya'll's opinion on Charter Arms before I bought one. Because I do like a clean and well put together weapon. Thanks Guys for all of your Input.

Johnny

Life's too short...
    to buy a mid-grade handgun for self-defense. We are blessed with too many EXCELLENT choices in new (or used) top quality CCW handguns to consider that vitally important decision a place to be frugal. Cancel your Premium Cable TV package for a month or two & save the $150-200. Add that to what a Charter Arms revolver would cost you anyway...and buy a S&W/Ruger that you don't have to ask (or worry) about.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Charter Arms

I owned a Bulldog .44 in the 70's. It was a very good gun.
    I now regret selling it.

It amazes me to note how many who have never owned a
    certain firearm feel free to denigrate it.

If you like revolvers, Charter makes a good one!

The Second Amendment is NOT about hunting!

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I've got three of the older Charter bulldogs in 44 special, two of which are unfired in the original boxes. I don't know about their 38's but I like the 44 special and carry one quite abit. They are light and easy to conceal. Mine are very tight and the quality of fit and finish is great. OMO!!
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

don't back away from them... they make a good gun. they go bang when you pull the trigger. might not be the best looking/build horse on the block, but she will get you home.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Revolvers - Colt then Ruger then S&W or Colt then S&W then Ruger

Ruger and S&W remain on my do not buy list due to 1994 - AWB, 10rd mag's, etc

Small Revolver - Colt Detective Special 38 cal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links