Range Report- Colt Series 70 and Beretta Bobcat

This is a discussion on Range Report- Colt Series 70 and Beretta Bobcat within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up a new Baretta Bobcat .22LR on Saturday. I have been looking for a good deal on one and I think I finally found ...

Thread: Range Report- Colt Series 70 and Beretta Bobcat

Picked up a new Baretta Bobcat .22LR on Saturday. I have been looking for a good deal on one and I think I finally found it. It was $200 out the door from Gander Mountain in Lakeville, MN.

so, my Dad and I went to the local range to test it out. I also carried along my Colt series 70 ( I have owned the gun for about two months and this was my first chance to get to the range).

bobcat - I like the finish, the feel, the weight, and the grip of the little pocket carry .22 but I encountered a little problem at the range. The empty cartridges were not being automatically extracted as they should after a shot was fired. After being disapointed for a while, I attributed the problem to lack of lube. I had not cleaned or lubed the gun before going to the range. I simply took it out of the box and fired it. So, I went back to the shop were I purchased the gun, and they gladly lubed it and test fired it for me. After this was done, the gun worked without any thought of a failure. A good lesson learned...when you think there is a problem with the mechanical working of your gun, make sure it is lubed properly.

Colt - After putting about 200 rounds through this pistol, I find it hard to carry or even consider carrying anything else. It is a full size slide and frame 1911, of course, which makes it a little difficult to conceal, but what it lacks in comfort it more than makes up for in power, ease of use, and accuracy. My Dad ( a long time wheel gun advocate ) qualified with a similar pistol when he was in the service over 34 years ago. He had not picked one up since that time, and he really surprised me with the first magazine he emptied. He kept a group of 8 rounds within a 2 inch circle at 30 feet. I had similar luck. I was also very surprised at the lack of "kick" from this long barrel .45. I am used to .357's and .44 mags and this was a pleasant surprise.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Nice write-up! My friend had the same issues with his Bobcat in reverse. His was still caked with the compound used to protect the guns during shipping. He had to clean the daylights out of his Bobcat and then it too functioned flawlessly.

Get a good holster and belt and you won't have too much trouble concealing the Colt. I went through this struggle about a month ago and the members really helped me a lot. I bought a Blackhawk Serpa and a good stiff belt and have no problem concealing my 5" Gov't Rock Island or my Taurus PT1911. I can't go IWB as I am no longer my svelt self - I go OWB with any kind of jacket or long-tailed shirt (dark).
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Glad that everything worked out for you. Neat little .22 ~
    How did yer Dad feel shooting a 1911 again after all those years.
    He did pretty doggone good.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

You figured out the first trick of Bobcats - clean and well lubed!

They may tend to be a bit picky on ammo too. Mine and my DW's eat Winchester Silver, CCI Stinger and CCI MiniMags without hiccups.

Here's a picture of mine:

Sounds like you had a great day at the range with your dad and found a new EDC to boot!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I love the little Bobcat. I don't know how much I'll actually carry it cause I also own a p3at that goes everywhere with me. But, it is deffinitely fun to shoot, and they seem to built very well. It will be more of a "dress" pocket carry than an everyday carry.

All I could think after seeing my dad drop 8 rounds in that tight of a group was, "I never want to be on the business end of that gun!" He really enjoyed shooting it after all those years. I think I rekindled his love for automatics. Maybe he will want to trade me his SW nickel plated .44 mag for one of my automatics!

By the way - I have been getting more comfortable carrying the 1911 lately. I carry IWB cause I weight 150lbs soaking wet and I'm 5'9". It prints and even shows out of the bottom of my cover shirt too easily in an OWB. But, as with all of my carry guns, I will probably go through ten holsters before I find the ideal one for me.

thanks guys!
    I'm married to my Kahr.

it looks like i am not the only one with a bobcat. i got two and they both are different from each other on how they shoot. one will eat any and all ammo. the other does not. one does not like a fully loaded mag the other don't care. but they both like it clean and oiled. they are fun to shoot.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Sponsored Links