J Frame sights

J Frame sights

This is a discussion on J Frame sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; These look interesting as an aftermarket sight upgrade - D&L J Frame sights . They would be really useful if adapted for Big Dots....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J Frame sights

J Frame sights

These look interesting as an aftermarket sight upgrade - D&L J Frame sights. They would be really useful if adapted for Big Dots.

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I like them and they look great but the price is too much for me. I think I would just get a tritium front site instead.

EW3
    That is waaaay to much $$$, IMO. You could pick up a used 642 for the price of those sights!

For a J-frame that is going to be used at arms length type situations, it looks like overkill to me. The snubbie is a "belly gun", not a target pistol.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

That is waaaay to much $$$, IMO.
    +3. Those sights are ridiculously over-priced. Shame on D&L Sports asking for that much.

Senior Moderator
    Way too much for the sights.

Plus with my Jframe I almost point shoot with it.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I went to Wally World and picked up some testors paint for the front sight.

Administrator
    They do a doggone beautiful installation job.
    It is unfortunate that any time there are Man/Machine hours involved the price is going to be steep these days.

I'm sure the cost of the rear sight is not cheap either & you're paying for that also. (see below)

"The rear sight is machined from solid bar stock and inletted into the top and back straps of the revolver for a very low profile, no snag mounting position."

Might be a worthile addition (even at that price) if you have your mind made up that a S&W "J" is going to be your permanent Every Day Carry.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    They do a doggone beautiful installation job.
    It is unfortunate that any time there are Man/Machine hours involved the price is going to be steep these days.

I'm sure the cost of the rear sight is not cheap either & you're paying for that also. (see below)

"The rear sight is machined from solid bar stock and inletted into the top and back straps of the revolver for a very low profile, no snag mounting position."

Might be a worthile addition (even at that price) if you have your mind made up that a S&W "J" is going to be your permanent Every Day Carry.
    To me, its still a solution in search of a problem. I'd rather spend the money on some nice night sights on a semiauto like a Sig.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

kpw
    They look nice but 642s are $399 NIB at the shop I buy at. QKShooter, you have a point about work hours involved but we could turn out that rear sight in the hundreds per hour at work. As far as milling the revolvers, dozens per hour and keep the tolerances well under .0005". If you have the equipment, it's not a problem. It looks like a great setup and if they were reasonably priced, they sell a bunch of them.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I could see adding those to an all steel J frame if they'd get the night sights version down to $225 or less but as they're currently priced, I can't imagine them getting much business but judging by their web site, they probably could care less if they get many of these ordered.

Hell of a note when the sights cost more than the whole gun.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

+ C A T A L O G +

This SP101 has a Bowen J Frame sight that I looked at. He prefers to sell them installed, but he told me he would sell them as a "part", if aomeone had a trustworthy gunsmith to do the work.

I wanna say it was only like $60, or something... I think that included a blank for the front as well.

Call or email them, and please do not quote me on that cost... It was a while ago...

I do have a J frame, 2" model 60 that was done at the factory with the adjustable S&W sights. I bought it thirty years ago. At the time I wanted something small and versatile, accurate enough for small game with wadcutters and powerful enough for personal protection with hollowpoints. I spent a lot of time hiking and canoeing back country at that time and it was a good gun for my purposes. I wish I had gotten it with a three inch barrel but the two inch served well.

Today that M-60 is just another safe queen. I have far better choices for carry. I can't imagine what benefit would be derived from the D&L sights on a J frame carry gun.

Just thought it would be interesting for someone who likes to spend $ on add-ons. My money will go towards a Crimson Trace. Lasers are such a better sighting option for the J.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

high dollar sights??? i carry the j-frame off duty. it is a shoot and run gun, made for close in protection. in the real world, when "it hits the fan" you will not look at the sights and/or try to find the red dot. you will "point and shoot". so high dollar sights and/or lasers on a j-frame are made for the "rambo's" of the world. yes,,,they work well at the practive range, but the target is not shooting at you or your family.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links