Owning/Carrying different guns?

This is a discussion on Owning/Carrying different guns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a one gun type of guy. I have one semi-auto rifle. I have one bolt action rifle. I have one pistol. I want ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Owning/Carrying different guns?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

I am a one gun type of guy. I have one semi-auto rifle. I have one bolt action rifle. I have one pistol. I want more though.

I've been looking at and shooting a Kimber Pro Carry II. It's beautiful. It fits my hand so nicely. It shoots beautifully. I'm in love with it.

I carry a Sig P229R DAK. I've trained with it, I'm used to it, and I know it's tough as nails.

I'm also a big believer in practice how you play. Off the draw in a SD situation, grip, finger placement, trigger pull, and operating will differ from a 1911 to my Sig. I can operate many kinds of weapons (M9, M4, XM218, etc) without even thinking though.

Anyone think it would be a problem switching between SAO and DAO carry guns periodically? I love them both so much...I'm just not sure yet. I think I need convincing to blow hundreds of dollars more :p

I am a firm believer in carrying firearms that have the same manual of arms....I would NOT flip-flop between platforms for your EDC. In a stress situation muscle memory takes over, if you are used to a DA and happen to be carrying a 1911 when the SHTF you may waste precious seconds wondering why its not goin bang...oh yeah that pesky safety. Thats just my $0.02 worth....

Assistant Administrator
    I have two thoughts here - the first is that familiarization with every darned platform you can own or lay hands on is good. Over many years now it is fairly rare to pick up a piece and find I need to fumble - never know when another gun is gonna have to be quickly used.

However - I am strictly a one gun carrier ..... for the most part it is familiarity and in particular the manual of arms. My EDC 226 is rarely changed for anything else, altho if 228 or 220 substituted then at least the platform is consistent.

I reckon swapping in a major sense is not good - even tho I used to carry a BHP years ago - and love the gun. I will not now use it for carry because I don't feel SA compared with DA/SA is a good mix. One or the other but not switching.

If push ever comes to huge shove, then I feel it is essential to have that gun on board which you can use blindflod, field strip blindfold ........ the gun that is all but literally an extension of your arm and totally familiar to use under stress.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I started on Revolvers years ago.

I've also carried 1911's in the past. One night I failed to take the safety off on a 1911 when I really needed to in the most expeditious manner. To make a short story longer, the situation resolved without having to fire my weapon, but I can never get the forget the fact that I failed to take the safety off in a time of crisis.

Some may say that I need more training with the 1911. While training is good, and you can never have too much of it, that was not the issue here. I was well trained with the 1911 and had been carrying one for about ten years. The issue is, in a time of crisis we revert to a "Survival" mode. My survival mode, which is instinct, I believe, is to point gun at scary thing and make it go BANG!

I do not switch trigger mechanisms. Yes, I love 1911's and think they are sexy as all get out. However, I have too many revolvers and Double Action "bottomfeeders" to even consider a 1911, as I learned long ago the hard way. Most of you are aware that I like Revolvers. I carry a D.A.O. Autoloader for work. At home I have a Glock 19, Kahr PM9, Ruger GP100, S&W 442, S&W 22-4, S&W 686+ in my carry "stable". The thing all these have in common is, they are "Point and Shoot" type weapons.

OK, that's my $0.02 on the matter.

Biker

Good points. I EDC an M4 and M9 in Iraq, then switch to the M9 and XM218 when I fly, then when I'm stateside, EDC the 229. I can do the manual of arms and field strip all of the above in my sleep. I think I could probably manage as long as I'm not switching every day. I hate falling in love with 2 guns! I'll probably buy the 1911 even if I don't use it as a carry gun...I still love shooting it.

Well now, not much to say after that. P95Carry, pretty much nailed it.

I am also of the mind that two different semi-auto platforms is a bad idea for EDC. Even if you do train with them both, your muscle memory is going to favor one over the other and what happens if you happen to be carrying the one it doesn't and need it?

On the other hand, if I were to train with another platform, it would be a wheel gun, for no other reason than they are point and press. A lot of operators and many civilians carry a wheelie as a BUG and as such, also train with them to the level of expert proficiency.

Evenso, I still say pick your platform and be one with it.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I chose one style and stayed with it for the above mentioned reason. While I think it is prudent to be familiar with as many types of firearms as possible, I believe it is even more important to stick pistols that are compatible with the manual of arms you are most experienced with. I try to stay within the realm of pistols with a consistent trigger pull, a "push button" magazine release located under the trigger guard, and a frame mounted manual safety (if a safety is present at all). This limits me to 1911 style pistols, Hi Power copies (CZ's with a manual safety), all the dao's out there that meet my other criteria; Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, Kahrs, etc....

If I were to change styles, I would probably go with the H&K P7, USP with LEM trigger, and Walther P99 QA or PPS pistols, all with the same style of mag release. To do so would take months of diligent practice so I could be familiar with the different manual of arms on a sub-conscious level.

I also try to carry on the same part of my body, whether concealing or at the range. See what I'm getting at? I'm no expert, but I believe it's very important simplify any self defense practices whenever possible.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

They need to make DAO 1911 clones :p

edit...there are some out there...hmm....

edit again...that would ruin what i love about the 1911.

I'll buy one for range use/shtf, and just stick to my sig for carry.

Adrenaline

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Anyone think it would be a problem switching between SAO and DAO carry guns periodically?
    C9 H13 NO3: I'm sure you could handle both, but you'd have to stay calm and control your adrenaline.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

kpw
    I started carrying with revolvers and stayed with them for a while even though I was shooting a 1911 a lot at the time. When I did start carrying the 1911, I did not forget the safety when I needed it. It's part of my draw and still is, no matter what I'm carrying. I have a real hard time with slide mounted safties and if I had to carry a pistol with one, I could not be confident in my abillity to disengage it efficiently. I'm not all that crazy about DA/SA triggers either.

I've thought about that...incorporating a safety flick even on my guns with no safeties. The M9 I used had that stupid way up high slide mounted safety. If you pulled back while drawing, it would disengage the safety with the holster though.

VIP Member
    I can't add much to what's been said. I do have a couple different types of gun that I carry... 1911 and SIG DA/SA.

I don't switch between them very often and when I do, I spend a lot of time re-training and re-familiarizing myself (range time & dry fire time) with the new platform before I start carrying. That's probably why I don't switch too often!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Everytime I switch carry guns, I go out to the range and shoot 200 or so rounds in different formats. I carry bot revolvers and semi auto's and have never had a problem with remebering the basics even in a crises situation for which I have been in twice. Steve48

If you do switch platforms make certain they do have a close manual of arms. Example-I have a 1911 and a CZ75. Both can be carried cocked and locked and have similiar manual of arms.
    Other examples are USP and MP45.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Can't add too much to what has already been stated by folks whom's opinions I respect very much on this forum. I myself stick to carrying my SA Champion appx 80% of the time. When I'm not carrying it I will have one of three S&W's on me, all with the same mode of operation. I practice drawing, dry firing and shooting my 1911 weekly to to keep myself as sharp as my 49 year's will let me. I don't do this with the S&W's as often as I've owned numerous Smiths over the years (1974-present) and they're second nature to me. I've yet to draw and point down on someone so hopefully my training pays off if that day ever happens. I have seen numerous folks just practicing forget to swipe down the safety on my and other 1911's. Most were younger DA/SA trained type folks. I qualified on the 1911 in boot camp back in 78 and carried the 1911 as a duty sidearm till we swapped over to the M9's in the late 80's. After that I went out and bought my first SA 1911 and have shot the crap outta it ever since and carried it as a CCW. With that said I believe you should stick with either SA or DA/SA if you are carrying or using that weapon for self defence. JMO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links