Shot Show 08 - New Mag for M&P?

This is a discussion on Shot Show 08 - New Mag for M&P? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have heard that a high cap mag for the .45 will be comming out, and wondered if anyone could update or throw up a ...

Thread: Shot Show 08 - New Mag for M&P?

Shot Show 08 - New Mag for M&P?

I have heard that a high cap mag for the .45 will be comming out, and wondered if anyone could update or throw up a link to what one looked like. I am wondering what the capacity is and if it is an extention, or reengineered in some fashion?

2. Remove Ads

Here are some pics of the high capacity mag in question. The capacity is 14 rounds, four more than the standard size. These pictures come thanks to ToddG over at MP-Pistol and 9x19 forums.

I wonder if it falls out of the gun while you are firing like the rest of them. Seems like a pretty standard feature on a large number of M&P's, and still not resolved. But hey, that's the fun of buying an M&P. You never really know if the mag is going to fall out, the striker is going to break, or the slide is going to lock back with rounds still in the mag.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    I wonder if it falls out of the gun while you are firing like the rest of them. Seems like a pretty standard feature on a large number of M&P's, and still not resolved. But hey, that's the fun of buying an M&P. You never really know if the mag is going to fall out, the striker is going to break, or the slide is going to lock back with rounds still in the mag.
    All guns go through a trial-by-fire if you will. I personally have two M&Ps and have had no problems with either. The fullsize has approximately 9,000 rounds through it and it has never hiccuped, even in multiple hands. My compact only has about 4,000 rounds through it and also has not erred. I have had no dropped mags, neither striker has broken, and the slides only lock back when mag empties or I manually lock them. I understand these are only two M&Ps out of how many. In all the cases I've seen where an M&P has faults, Smith & Wesson has taken care of the owner. As it has been said on here before, the M&P is initially experiencing what just about every gun has.

Now I am not defending the M&P because I am biased. I also own XDs. I bring them up because I see an XD as your avatar.

Back to the original post...

I have had an M&P .40 for over a year and have never had a single problem w/ it. It takes any ammo I run through it, the magazines have never fallen out, the slide only locks back when empty or I lock it back, it is more accurate than I am, and my friend likes shooting it so much, he may pick one up in the near future.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the Congress is in session."
    Mark Twain
    S&W M&P 40

Really?!?!

I've got 5000+ rounds through my M&P9 and 2000+ through my M&P 45 and have experienced neither of these issues. Can you give a link to folks discussing these issues? I'd like to read up on them.

I will say this: I spoke with Joe Bergeron (M&P product manager) at length about other M&P issues like extracting/ejecting malfunctions and QC issues; his response was that S&W did make some mistakes early on in the manufacturing process. The projected life for the toolheads was infinitely less than they had projected. This was leaving machining marks and burrs inside the guns that was causing most of the issues. He said that was fixed months ago and that there shouldn't be any more problems. He also told me that anyone having the slightest problems with their M&Ps should call Smith and they will fix the guns ASAP. I know this is true because two of my friends had issues and they got their guns out an back in two weeks.

I guess I am on of the lucky ones - I bought my M&P 9 last March and have only had one malfunction due to ammo. I bought my M&P 45 in July and have never had a malfunction. But we're still early on in both guns lives so I'll keep you posted.

I believe in the S&W M&P line and will be ordering my M&P9L (5 inch) in two weeks.
    Deputy Director of Training
    LMSDefense
    www.lmsdefense.com
    troyprice@lmsdefense.com

It is not the ability to master the extraordinary that makes a warrior special; what makes a warrior special is the ability to master the basics extraordinarily well. - (author unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Price View Post
    Really?!?!

I've got 5000+ rounds through my M&P9 and 2000+ through my M&P 45 and have experienced neither of these issues. Can you give a link to folks discussing these issues? I'd like to read up on them.

I will say this: I spoke with Joe Bergeron (M&P product manager) at length about other M&P issues like extracting/ejecting malfunctions and QC issues; his response was that S&W did make some mistakes early on in the manufacturing process. The projected life for the toolheads was infinitely less than they had projected. This was leaving machining marks and burrs inside the guns that was causing most of the issues. He said that was fixed months ago and that there shouldn't be any more problems. He also told me that anyone having the slightest problems with their M&Ps should call Smith and they will fix the guns ASAP. I know this is true because two of my friends had issues and they got their guns out an back in two weeks.

I guess I am on of the lucky ones - I bought my M&P 9 last March and have only had one malfunction due to ammo. I bought my M&P 45 in July and have never had a malfunction. But we're still early on in both guns lives so I'll keep you posted.

I believe in the S&W M&P line and will be ordering my M&P9L (5 inch) in two weeks.
    Here ya go:

MP-Pistol.com :: View Forum - M&P Pistol Tech Difficulties

I've owned 2 M&P 40 compacts, both were trouble. They would both lock back with rounds still in the mag, and my most recent one (serial #MPZxxx) wouldn't feed 170 grain Fiocchi ball ammo and had 2 light primer strikes out of the first 50 rounds.

I've never owned one of the full size ones, maybe they are less problematic? I know Limatunes posted about problems with her new M&P 9mm compact, I don't know if the issue with her pistol was resolved. I DO know that it's not just me.

The M&P is about the best feeling polymer pistol I've ever felt. Well, that is until I recently wrapped my mitts around a new Sig P250. But anyway, I wish they would pay some attention to quality control at S&W. The M&P feels SO much better than a Glock, they should be blowing Glock out of the water for LE contracts...but they are not.

I don't remember so many problems with the launch of the Glocks and XD's, or any Sigs either. Maybe some isolated things, but nothing like you see on the M-P Pistol board. I truly hope these pistols get better, and it's good to read of ones with no problems. I'd like to have an M&P compact 45, but I'll have to wait and see. No more beta testing for me!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I'm in the minority on the gun boards. I don't think the M&P is anything to write home about.

I participated in the T&E on the M&P 40, at my old agency. Poor fit and finish, lousy gritty trigger, poor accuracy. They went with new Glock 22's instead.

Yea, the M&P feels good in the hand, so do alot of other pistols. YMMV. Regards 18DAI.

Here ya go:

MP-Pistol.com :: View Forum - M&P Pistol Tech Difficulties

I've owned 2 M&P 40 compacts, both were trouble. They would both lock back with rounds still in the mag, and my most recent one (serial #MPZxxx) wouldn't feed 170 grain Fiocchi ball ammo and had 2 light primer strikes out of the first 50 rounds.

I've never owned one of the full size ones, maybe they are less problematic? I know Limatunes posted about problems with her new M&P 9mm compact, I don't know if the issue with her pistol was resolved. I DO know that it's not just me.

The M&P is about the best feeling polymer pistol I've ever felt. Well, that is until I recently wrapped my mitts around a new Sig P250. But anyway, I wish they would pay some attention to quality control at S&W. The M&P feels SO much better than a Glock, they should be blowing Glock out of the water for LE contracts...but they are not.

I don't remember so many problems with the launch of the Glocks and XD's, or any Sigs either. Maybe some isolated things, but nothing like you see on the M-P Pistol board. I truly hope these pistols get better, and it's good to read of ones with no problems. I'd like to have an M&P compact 45, but I'll have to wait and see. No more beta testing for me!
    I've said this on numerous forms. So I will just cut and paste it from a previous post.

"My man, be careful about what you gleen from the Internet, particularly forums. Remember this one thing when ever you read. People that don't have problems, don't write about it on the Internet. The only ones you hear from are the problems. Smith & Wesson has sold hundreds of thousands M&Ps, even if 5000 of them had problems, that still good odds. Trust me I've come across this same phenomenon on countless discussion forums on countless different subject matters. Look at it this way; every mechanical device has problems, at least you know S&W will take care of you."

And to let you know I've owned and carried a full size 9 for about a year with 0, and I MEAN 0 problems. Metro, I don't doubt you had problems with your 40's, but I'm sure that there are people that have purchased Hondas' and Lexus' that have had problems too. Does that make these makes unreliable and problematic? If you go to any forum on virtually any product, you will read about problems. It's the nature of the beast.

I've had two S&W pistols. One was a 22A Target that had a chunk break off the slide and also a .380 Sigma that jammed all the time. I know these aren't guns from the top of their line but it was enough to keep me from buying anymore of their weapons. I have that kind of luck though. Probably the only two out of the production run that had issues.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

No doubt some M&Ps have had issues, but that is beside the point. The original post was about the new high capacity .45 magazines and not the M&P's reliability.

Well that sucks, the magazine is an extention magazine... Not sure how I will like that.

The M&P feels SO much better than a Glock, they should be blowing Glock out of the water for LE contracts...but they are not.
    Its likely not so much the feel of the guns or the QC, its that Glock has so much inertia in the market its hard to displace them.

We are nearing the point where entire police departments have known nothing but Glocks from the oldest guy to the new recruit.

S&W, indeed anyone, who wishes to displace Glock from that kind of hold needs to do something better & cheaper or they will get the response of "That's very nice, but we would have to retrain all our guys, retrain the armorer and get new gear. Can your company give use the duty holsters, spare mags, training for the armorer for free and the guns at a unit price of $125 each so we can make the switch?"

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Glocks biggest selling point is their price point for large purchases. The 9mm are decent guns, the .40cals have had their issues as have the .45acp.

Funny that I have never heard anything bad about thier 10mm

Hopefully SW will make a 10mm version....

Links