Glock 23 vs Glock 19 - Page 2

Glock 23 vs Glock 19

This is a discussion on Glock 23 vs Glock 19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love both my 19 and 23. They are both 2nd generation. I shoot my 19 a little better because it has a 5.5 lb ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I love both my 19 and 23. They are both 2nd generation. I shoot my 19 a little better because it has a 5.5 lb trigger. My 23 has an 8lb trigger (dept regs). But I don't think that the recoil on the 23 is MUCH more than the 19.

I would never get rid of either of them. But if I absolutely had to choose I would go with the 23.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

When I puchased my used G23, it had one of the NY triggers (the gray one). My groups were lousy compared to my other two G22s. I replaced the NY spring with a factory spring and my groups improved dramatically.

Regarding .40S&W vs. 9mm, I went with the G23 because I already had the G22s. If I were starting from zero, I would opt for the 9mm due to cheaper ammo. It all about shot placement, right?

I bought the G19 specifically as a training gun, but because I like it so much, it now serves a dual role as training and carry. The 19 is a kitty-kat with 115 ball and works great to discipline yourself to the Glock trigger system.

For carry, I use Gold Dot 124grain or Winchester Ranger +P+. My G19 will not be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by STORMVET View Post
    This is what I'm talking about. After class, I was watching my CCW instructor shoot with his G17. He could put every round into a golf ball sized target one handed at 20 yards. I know he shoots a lot more than I do, but I can do that with my S&W Model 10 HB, but the recoil isn't there either. I expect that kind of accuracy in what ever I carry. Also, about the conversion barrel, how can a 9mm work in a 40, without also changing the slide and main spring. I can't see how the extractor would work at all and of course the 40 should have a heavier spring than the 9mm. Maybe someone that's been to the Glock armory class could help me with this.
    Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail
    Last edited by theghostrider; February 13th, 2008 at 01:10 PM.

I love my 23, although I have to be happy with 3-5 inch groups when I'm drawing quickly and firing. I figure it's an up close and personal gun. In terms of .40 cal, I think the Sig 229 is perfect for that round. It handles recoil much better than the 23.

kpw
    I like the 22 better than the 17, the 27 better than the 26 but I like the 19 better than the 23. I have NO idea why.

Also, about the conversion barrel, how can a 9mm work in a 40, without also changing the slide and main spring. I can't see how the extractor would work at all and of course the 40 should have a heavier spring than the 9mm. Maybe someone that's been to the Glock armory class could help me with this.
    Well, I can't say that I've been to the armoury class or anything but I did change my 35 to 9mm a while ago. I got the conversion barrel, new mags, the 9mm extractor, 9mm ejector and the 9mm spring loaded bearing. Those are the 5 differences between the 19 and 23. The extractor and bearing are really cheap and easy to replace, especially if you know how to take the top half apart. The ejector isn't expensive either, it is just a piece of sheet metal, but it requires you to take the receiver apart and that is a bit more involved. Oh, the 9mm conversion barrel is more of a bull barrel and is thicker than the regular ones so it fits the slide properly.

There are plenty of people out there who get their 23 to work with just the barrel and mag change. I was changing a competition gun so I went for the full change.

PS. I've since gotten the 34 so i can have both calibres.

I can't tell you about the G23 as I don't have one. For large bore I prefer a 1911 in .45acp and just never felt the need for a .40 S&W. However, my current edc is a G19 though and I really like this gun. Recoil is darned near nill, even with the lightweight polymer frame and the stock trigger is much nicer than I expected. The only thing I've changed is adding Tru-glo TFO nightsights.

If you're considering a G19 as a replacement or just an addition to your collection I highly recommend them - and I'm a diehard John Moses Browning man!
    Jack

Ok, I just ordered the Lonewolf conversion barrel for my G23! After reading some of your comments and others I have found online ( I actually found a discussion about the barrel with very positive comments) I ordered the barrel, two G19 factory mags and the 3.5 pound disconnect. I talked to a rep with Lonewolf, I asked him specifically about the extractor and he said that it will work. I will let all of you know how it goes.
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

Ok, I just ordered the Lonewolf conversion barrel for my G23! After reading some of your comments and others I have found online ( I actually found a discussion about the barrel with very positive comments) I ordered the barrel, two G19 factory mags and the 3.5 pound disconnect. I talked to a rep with Lonewolf, I asked him specifically about the extractor and he said that it will work. I will let all of you know how it goes.
    I recently purchased a Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel and some G19 mags for my G23. Although I have only tested it once, it fed everything I put in it including some hand loads with Rainier plated bullets. For laughs, I tried the .40 factory mag and it fed 9mms through that without a problem too! It is a lot nicer to shoot with 9mms than 40s, and seems just as accurate in my limited testing to date.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Stormvet,

You will also need a trigger housing that has a 9mm ejector.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I traded my 23 for a 19 cause the .40 was too snappy for me to shoot comfortably in the Glock and couldn't be happier. However I can shoot my Sig P229 and HK UPSc in .40 with no problems....it's all in the platform.

So far so good! Today I recieved my Lone Wolf 9mm barrel for my G23. I swapped it out, filled the mags and within ten minutes, I was ready to squeeze off the first round. I ran about 30 rounds through it and to my surprise, no problems. It seems that the 9mm is a much tamer round than the 40. After I finished, I installed the 3.5 pound connector, I will try it out tomorrow.
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

I love my G19 and looked very hard at the 23 but I like the way 9mm felt to me in a Glock as well as the shot placement was more consistant. Not to mention much cheaper ammo!!! Glad to see you liked the conversion!
    Glock Perfection
    "A right not used is a right lost" -Unknown

I have a 19, a 23 and a 32C.
    For everyday practice I prefer the 19. It's cheaper to shoot, recoil is minimal. To me, the 23's recoil is more than the 19 but not really enough to notice unless you are shooting 115 gr. in the 19 and 180's in the 23. I carry the 32C with me everyday. The recoil of the 32C is not all bad, the "concussion/muzzle blast" it produces is worse than the recoil. I like the ballistics of the .357 Sig. There is nothing wrong with the 9mm or the .40, I just prefer the .357. It all boils down to personal preference. Find somebody that has a weapon you are interested in and fire it. You might just end up owning one of each!
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links