Glock 23 vs Glock 19

This is a discussion on Glock 23 vs Glock 19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a G23 that I like a lot, however I am not satisfied with how well I shoot it. I am considering a trade ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 23 vs Glock 19

Glock 23 vs Glock 19

I have a G23 that I like a lot, however I am not satisfied with how well I shoot it. I am considering a trade for a G19. I want to hear from some members that have made this trade off to hear what you have to say. I like the power of the G23 but if I can't tighten my groups up, what good is it? Yes I have considered a lighter trigger and I may still try that before I trade but what do you think?
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

2. Remove Ads

I have a 23 and I still carry my G19 24/7. I do not like the .40 cal bullet.

I don't know if its true but I have heard that you can put a 9mm barrel in,if so then you would have the best of both worlds. sj

Are you sure it's the recoil of the gun that is causing the problem? Could be the gun just doesn't fit you, in which case you would have the same problem with the G19, but on a smaller scale.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    I don't know if its true but I have heard that you can put a 9mm barrel in,if so then you would have the best of both worlds. sj
    You can run 9mm and .357 Sig in the G23 with the proper barrel. a Lone Wolf barrel to convert the G23 to run 9mm will cost $115. Then you'll have two guns for one.

Own both

I have owned both a G19 and a G23 for about 10 years, and have shot them both a fair amount. I don't think that one is more accurate than the other, if you were to clamp them in a Ransom Rest and take the shooter out of the equation. So if a given shooter has a problem with the G23, it is probably his reaction to the stronger recoil of the .40 compared to the 9mm, and the possibility of flinching or jerking the trigger on the G23 in anticipation.

The G23 is not an easy gun to shoot because it is fairly light in weight and has a sharp recoil. I have two other .40 guns, a Sig P229 and a H&K USP 40c, and I believe that I can shoot both of them somewhat more accurately than the G23. I would suggest trying a G19 as a rental gun at the range, if possible, and alternate shooting it with your G23 to see if you like it better. If you feel more confident with the G19 I believe you should switch.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mslaughtertx View Post
    I have a 23 and I still carry my G19 24/7. I do not like the .40 cal bullet.
    I'm not a fan of the .40 either. I was issued a G23. This was traded for a G22 as I had to have a bigger gun for use with some other gear. With that being said, I carry the G19 all of the time! It has much better manners and I can hit a 10" x 10" plate at 100 yrds consistently. The high performance 9mm ammo is still easier to shoot well with than the .40 in the Glock platforms and the ballistics are about the same.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Imo try the 3.5# trigger connector. It's like 10 bucks and easy to install. That helped me some. It's hard to get to where you can shoot the G23 really well because the .40 has rather snappy recoil. Especially in a handgun as compact and light as the G23. However, I feel that once you put in your dues, it shoots rather great. I've thought about trading to the G19, but at this point, I'm sticking where I'm at. Part of the reason is the flexibility of the .40 round with reloading.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Just like saying 9mm vs .40S&W.... Buy both... they are a lot of fun together

Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

The Forty Caliber Flinch

I struggled with what I termed the "Forty Caliber Flinch".

I couldn't get a .40 to group for me at all.

It took a lot of going back to fundamentals to cure me of it.

Grip. Trigger control. Sight picture.

It's less likely to be an inaccurate handgun than an inaccurate shooter.

If you want the least expensive solution get a conversion barrel, get a few 9mm magazines and work on your trigger control.

Yes. The .40 is not an easy round to master, but not impossible by any means. It is a more effective round for self defense out of the same barrel length when compared to the 9mm.

You can convert DOWN to 9mm but not UP to .40.

Once you get past your own Forty Caliber Flinch you'll want that 23 for the better punch.

Well, I understand and had the same post about a year ago in reverse. I had the 19 & loved it but wanted all the punch and knock down I could get- so I was thinking G23. I wound up buying a used one to be a project gun.

Long story short (too late.)
    I now own both. The recoil doesnt bother me & 80 times out of 80 I hae a tighter group with the .40
    Glocks are solid and relyable but even so- the 9mm I bought is just loose. Since the time I bought a G29 and I'm more accurate with it too. So it may be a "flinch" or it may just be that particular gun.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

It has much better manners and I can hit a 10" x 10" plate at 100 yrds consistently. The high performance 9mm ammo is still easier to shoot well with than the .40 in the Glock platforms and the ballistics are about the same.[/QUOTE]

This is what I'm talking about. After class, I was watching my CCW instructor shoot with his G17. He could put every round into a golf ball sized target one handed at 20 yards. I know he shoots a lot more than I do, but I can do that with my S&W Model 10 HB, but the recoil isn't there either. I expect that kind of accuracy in what ever I carry. Also, about the conversion barrel, how can a 9mm work in a 40, without also changing the slide and main spring. I can't see how the extractor would work at all and of course the 40 should have a heavier spring than the 9mm. Maybe someone that's been to the Glock armory class could help me with this.
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

could be the stronger recoil of the .40 and the possibility of flinching or jerking the trigger on the G23 in anticipation. the G19 is lighter in the recoil, so it is easier to shoot.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

It's up to you

I got a G23 a while back ......... loved everything about it EXCEPT that I wasn't "squaring up my groups. A LEO/SRT buddy helped me strighten out myself. A little of "getting back to basics" and some outright changing a few other things. The Glock was new to me but I already had lots of experience with the 'snappy' little .40 round.

I liked my G23 so much I bought another one
    It takes some effort......."perfect practice makes perfect"
    Ultimatly, if you don't trust your skills with a firearm, sell it or trade it for what you do like/trust. I suggest get a little help with your shooting to see if changing something your doing helps before giving up on the Glock.

OR PM me and I'll help ya get it off your hands.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Besides the CCW class have you had any other training? I'd bet a day or two in an advanced and/or tactical course with a good instructor will change things for the better. I know it did me even after shooting for years. I got busy with training after getting my CHL in 2005 after it's passge and have to say that dedicated training has improved all aspects of my shooting abilities ten fold.

ETA - I'd also suggest practicing circle drills to. If you do not know what a circle drill is basically it's standing in front of and aiming about 1 foot from your target with a quarter size circle shooting 3-5 rds and trying to keep the shots within that circle as close to center as you can. after 3-5 rds step back a foot and do it again until you have put all rds inside the circle, then step back another foot and so on until you reach your desired distance. Work on breathing and triger control. Obviously that quarter size circle with get very small very quickly as you start stepping back several feet but it's a great drill that really helps you zero in on what you are shooting at.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I have both. I shot back to back, the 19 with +p self defense rounds (winchester ranger 124 grain +p hollowpoint) and the 40 (winchester ranger 180 grain hollowpoint). And to tell you the truth, the only way I could explain the differencei in recoil is the 9mm was like banging a hollow aluminum baseball bat against an immovable object and the 40 was like banging a wood baseball bat off an immovable object. Now shooting the winchester white box 9mm against the 40 I can feel more of a difference in recoil.

My wife has the 19. I still carry the 23 right now because I cannot find the winchester ranger 124Grain +P that I like for 9mm. As soon as I do that (or verify other sd ammo) I will be carrying the 9mm.

If you are questioning your abilities with the 40, get the 9. The bigger rounds with "potentially better ballistics" don't mean anything if they are not hitting your intended target.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links