Kimber RCP 2 vs. New Colt Agent

This is a discussion on Kimber RCP 2 vs. New Colt Agent within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which one has better..................................? 1). Reliability. 2). Accuracy (practical, not Camp Perry). 3). Sights (you be the judge--the Gutter vs. the Trench?). 4). Pros & ...

Thread: Kimber RCP 2 vs. New Colt Agent

Kimber RCP 2 vs. New Colt Agent

Which one has better..................................?

1). Reliability.
    2). Accuracy (practical, not Camp Perry).
    3). Sights (you be the judge--the Gutter vs. the Trench?).
    4). Pros & Cons on Colt's series 80 firing pin safety vs. Kimbers
    (is it not a copy of a pre-WW2 Colt safety system?).

I have handled a RCP 2 before and just from the pictures that I've seen of the New Agent, The RCP has a great 'melt job' vs. 'none' on the Colt.

Any other insights would be great.
    (Telephone Booth Gun...Yes operator, please hold on, I'll get some change...).

2. Remove Ads

I was at that precise crossroad a few months ago. I had such positive and fun experiences with my two 3" 1911s over four years that I wanted to get a barebones version like the RCP. After a long period reading about the model, and lots of window shopping online (scarce as they seemed to be) they showed up late last year in Bud's online inventory. Then, while I was breaking-open my piggy bank and looking for lost treasure under sofa cushions to shore-up the funds, I stopped by the Paris store one day and found one in the display case. They put it back for me till the next day, but when I returned, a Colt New Agent was there too. Anyhow, I looked at them both for a while. I surprised myself, after all that seed-time, and left with the Colt. Sometimes you just fall in love...and it was a couple hundred$$ less.

As for the info you actually asked for, I can only say that my New Agent is great. I fired 200 rounds before cleaning it with no hint of a malfunction--with lots of rapid fire too. I found I do pretty well with the grove. I'm certain, tho, that I would have liked the RCP two too!

I can't give any technical eval of the safeties. All I know is that I have a Kimber Ultra CarryII and commander size series 70 1911 too, and they all work the same way for me.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I would prefer the Colt. Too many reliability issues with the Kimbers I have owned.

Dehorning or "melt job"

Quote Originally Posted by dustoff451 View Post
    I have handled a RCP 2 before and just from the pictures that I've seen of the New Agent, The RCP has a great 'melt job' vs. 'none' on the Colt.
    I can attest to the lack of a melt job on the Colt. I have a Defender, which is similar to the New Agent. It came with some of the sharpest edges on the slide I have seen on a semiauto. It bothered me enough to pay a gunsmith $50 to dehorn it on his milling machine.

Other than that, my Colt has run reliably and I would give it good marks on that score.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Thanks guys,

I've owned only one Kimber- Stainless Classic that would not feed hardball 100 percent.

Sent it back and they 'fixed' it but the die was cast and I sold it and bought a Colt Govt. series 80.

Funny thing, after I bought the stainless Kimber I stared to heard stories about the same reliability problems that I had with mine.

I want the Colt but I hate to send gun out to have 'stuff done' to them that should be STANDARD.

Colt, are you listening? We will pay more- do it 'right'.

Just handled a Kimber RCP II at El Paso Gun Exchange (if anyone is interested). It feels very similar to my Colt New Agent. The New Agent is slimmer than the RCP but that is probably due to the RCP being a .45 and my Colt being a 9mm. I don't know if the New Agent in .45 is as slim as the 9mm version, but I would think not. Both the Kimber and the Colt have the "gutter/trench" sight which I happen to like. Both are approximately the same weight. Only real difference I can see (not having fired the Kimber) is that one says "Colt" and the other says "Kimber." The Kimber also being a few hundred more than the Colt. Get the brand you trust more. For me, that was Colt. The Kimber did look like a fine weapon, though.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaiahM33 View Post
    Just handled a Kimber RCP II at El Paso Gun Exchange (if anyone is interested). It feels very similar to my Colt New Agent. The New Agent is slimmer than the RCP but that is probably due to the RCP being a .45 and my Colt being a 9mm. I don't know if the New Agent in .45 is as slim as the 9mm version, but I would think not. Both the Kimber and the Colt have the "gutter/trench" sight which I happen to like. Both are approximately the same weight. Only real difference I can see (not having fired the Kimber) is that one says "Colt" and the other says "Kimber." The Kimber also being a few hundred more than the Colt. Get the brand you trust more. For me, that was Colt. The Kimber did look like a fine weapon, though.
    The New Agent in .45 and 9mm are the same in size, Colt uses the same receivers and slides for both pistols.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Good to know! If I ever see one in .45, I'll be sure to snatch it up! Only the 9mm version is available in old El Paso.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Links