Glock vs Kahr - G19 vs P9 vs CW9

This is a discussion on Glock vs Kahr - G19 vs P9 vs CW9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everybody, This is my 1st post and i need a lil help with a major decision for my concealment. I'm debating between a glock ...

Thread: Glock vs Kahr - G19 vs P9 vs CW9

Hey everybody,
    This is my 1st post and i need a lil help with a major decision for my concealment. I'm debating between a glock and a kahr as far as a 9mm. Looking for a little input if anyone can help. I think I'm leaning towards the kahr which brings up a bigger problem, deciding between the P9 and CW9. I don't know anyone who has a CW9. Please Help!!!

Assistant Administrator
    Shucks - despite all I own - these are two fields I am not familair with - well not enough!

I am sure tho many of our esteeemed members can and will chip in for you - so stand by, be patient - info is a comin!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1952 - 2006
    As Firearms Instructor for the Las Vegas Hilton I taught classes twice a year with 120 Officers over a 5 day period. Our issued weapon was a Glock 19. I would take 5 Glocks and 6000 rounds of ammo. Over the years I was able to put about 30 of our 65 Glocks through this test. 1200 rounds each gun, no oil, no maintenance, and I never had a misfire, failure to feed or any such rubbish, the guns simply ran.

Now I don't own a Glock and don't particularly like them, but they are one dependable, durable and accurate tool for the purposes of self-defense. I would bet my life on one.

I have had some small experience with the Kahr MK9. I liked it. I liked the less muzzle flip than the Glock. However this is the steel framed version. It was also dependable (tho only a hundred rounds were fired), I also liked the trigger better than the Glock.

So there is my two cents worth.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I've got a Kahr K9 that I love. It's never jammed with anything I've fed it. It has a much more comfortable grip than any Glock, and is much smaller and thinner.
    Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders. by Jerry VanCook

This is a good example of ya need to shoot them side by side.. The small glocks wont fit my hand finger grooves are wrong for my fat fingers.

The kahr's are really to small for me to get a good grip on so i passed on both and went with a Springfield XD.

Basically ya need to shoot them see what fits you best

I use a Kahr E9 its the enconomy version of the K9. It has fired over 10,000 rounds and no problems. As far the CW9 or P9 I have heard nothing bad about them but the PM9 & PM40 I hear have their problems. I am looking at a P9 to try out down the road but I prefer steel over poly.

Lead Moderator
    I think they all are good choices. Get what fits ya best and you can handle the most comfortably. Also holsters may be a deciding factor if ya want a lot of options.

Thumbs down 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigTuna
    Hey everybody, Looking for a little input if anyone can help.
    To quoth the Pistol GURU of the age, JEFF COOPER: "What does it matter? It's a NINE and a NINE simply will NOT do!"
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

The Kars I've seen at the Shop in Maine <where I'm working PT> have still sat there for over, between 2-6 months. I think it's due to the price of them <used is around 475.00> I've played around with a few of them while at work, and they seem to fit my hand, but very thin in the grip frame. The G26/27/33 seems fo fit a bit better, though it's a tight squeeze to get the pinky finger on the frame. The G19, USP Compact, and a few others in the same size class seem to be a bit better. Price and what fits your hand the best, are the factors to which you need to consider your options. If you get the chance, try some of what your buddies have, and are carrying. Just as Ex has mentioned, you can find a GREAT small framed 45 if you look for it. Personally, I feel comfy with anything from a 32 to a 454. It depends on what your criteria is, and how mush $$ you're looking to spend......USED is usually the best way to go, especially if you're on a budget. LOTS of good deals out there, just look around and gather GREAT input from all of us within the Forum, before you buy.

I got a chance to shoot the Kahr P9 last Saturday at the Oregon Firearms Academy (great facility BTW). It belonged to a lady there who had more money than firearms acumen meaning she didn't realize what she was shooting.

The Kahr sets up real nice and fit my hand okay (I have big hands and normally shoot a HK USP 40). It has much better trigger take up than the Glock, the pressure wall is firm but predictable and trigger reset is cleaner and crisper than the Glock. Because of the trigger accuracy was excellent.

The big issue is whether it fits your hand properly. The lady that owned it was complaining all day about it, not sure why. It is small and VERY concealable because it's a single stack magazine (width is .94" as I recall). All Glocks are over 1" wide I think.

Glocks are notoriously rellable. The Kahrs have gotten good reviews about reliability after some early difficulties.

At the end of the day, buy the gun you shoot the best. There are enough good semi-autos on the market you shouldn't have to compromise much to find one that works for you.

Good luck!!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    We'll you're going to get a lot of advise! But it really comes down to some basics, like how you're built, your hand, etc. the weight and size of a weapon make a big difference in how well you can carry it all day, conceal it, and use it. Some guys are big in every aspect of big and can hid a full size 1911 like it's a cigarette lighter. On the other hand, I'm 5'7", slender build & relatively thin so the butt of a J frame revolver prints like crazy. Style of dress is also a HUGE factor. If you only wear jeans and untucked shirts, it's a lot easier to conceal. If you're always in more formal clothes with tucked shirts, then you have to have "cover" garments like suit coats, etc. I just can't believe anyone really likes, or gets away with so called tuckable holsters. To me, the bulge in the belt line is the most obvious printing there is. All of this will affect your choice. Both the Glock and Kahr are top of the line weapons. I do think some people have been so awed by Glocks that nothing will ever measure up and I mean never! I've shot a friends Glock .40 and like it well enough. The angle on the grip is awkward for me but it's a fine weapon. BUT it's ALOT thicker than the Kahr and that makes a big difference the smaller/thinner you are. Thickness is probably one of the biggest factors in what you can comfortably and easily conceal. I own a Kahr P9 and love it! It shoots anything all the time, every time.

Some will put down polymer weapons but the weight is a BIG deal. You won't carry what gets heavy. You'll hear a lot about a good holster and a good belt and it's all true, however, if you get an all metal gun, a thick leather holster and a good gun belt, you'll have one heavy duty big time rig and unless you're into that and built for that, it'll be uncomfortable. I can carry the P9 in a kydex IWB on my regular dress belt and the gun is so flat (under 1") that it lays well. The glock has a much thicker grip due to the capacity. Unless you live in a high risk area, the odds are you'll never need 20 or so rounds, statistically or otherwise. The Kahr is a single stack and designed for one thing, concealed carry. The vast number of armed defense situations never involve a reload or more than a few shots fired. Yes it can happen, but almost no one prepares for what COULD happen, rather we prepare for the expected threat/risk.

As for 9mm, I have a LOT of respect for ExSoldier but I have to respectfully disagree. I'm not an expert in anything, but I'm retired military and I've shot all my life. If I was going into combat, a .40 or .45 would be what I'd want for stopping power but it's too heavy to carry so I'd take a good rifle in .223 and a lightweight 9mm that'll be a backup to the rifle.

For CCW, I believe the 9mm is a reasonable choice and it's the lowest I like to go. But I'll use a .380 if I'm dressed in a shirt and tie, tucked, no coat, and can only pocket carry. Being a good shot and totally familar with your weapon so there's no thinking going on in the heat of battle is the greatest factor. If you're comfortable with a .40, I'd go for it. As I said, I liked the glock .40 but it had quite a kick and muzzle flip. If I do get a .40, it'll be the kahr k40.

Your best bet is to handle and shoot both if you can. If you can't shoot both, I'd hold both at least. I got the blackened stainless slide and night sights on my p9 so it was just about $700. The plain jane is a fine weapon to and everybit of a weapon as a glock in my opinion.

So, you'll hear a lot of thoughts but it's all got to fit you and on you...

good luck with your decision

God Bless
    Gideon

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I have a P9 I purchased used for $450 that already had the stainless steel guide rod installed. It fits my hand perfectly, is light, flat, dependable and accurate. I can shoot a Glock adequately, but the grip isn't right for me, they always feel uncomfortable and not stable in my hand. Shoot both as a minimum, and try other guns if you can - XD line and 4" 1911's come to mind.

As to the caliber, 9mm is good, 40S&W is better, 45ACP is best in a carry self defense application.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well I very familiar with Kahrs and same with Glocks. Both are worthy of looking at. In the Kahr family Im a fan of the steel framed guns. The weight difference isnt enough for me to worry about. The Plastic guns are good.......The CW is a budget model IMO. Its not any worse in quality but Id stick with the P series if it was me. The K series is my favorite. Enough weight to help recoil, accurate as hell and just a great gun.
    If I was to carry a Glock its gonna be a 19/23. I love the size, capacity and shootability. Its bigger than the Kahr but is worth the trade off to me.
    Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

I have a Glock 27 and Kahr MK9. They are both very reliable and conceal easy. I like both about the same and I carry both about same amount of time. The Kahr is a little thlinner across, so it it is a little eaiser to conceal. Your best bet is to find a way to shoot both a Glock and a Kahr and find out which YOU prefer.

just wanted to say thanks everyone...i have made up my mind...i must say i almost went for the g19 actually...i ended up shootin for a while with the g19 and fell in love with it, the only downfall was i didn't feel too secure with the grip...and the trigger pull was just a bit too easy for my liking at this point, but i did love firing it even with all that said...then i shot the k40 since that was the only kahr i could get my hands on and i just loved it too...i loved the grip and felt like the trigger was perfect, not as long as a few people made it seem to me...i was actually surprised of how smooth it was...so i'm going with the p9...thanks again to everyone...and i think my next endeavor will be the g23...cant go wrong i guess, a glock and a kahr, but not too soon...maybe by then glock will have a new slimline model...

happy shootin

Sponsored Links