Can't afford the latest thing

This is a discussion on Can't afford the latest thing within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And my Speed Six doesn't look like it's going to work out very well. I'm going to try a Smartcarry, but if that doesn't work ...

Thread: Can't afford the latest thing

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar

Can't afford the latest thing

And my Speed Six doesn't look like it's going to work out very well. I'm going to try a Smartcarry, but if that doesn't work out I can't afford 2-3 guns to switch around the way some folks here do, though I'm going to buy a NAA .22 mag for a bug.

I'm thinking that a used last-generation auto might be the thing for my main CCW... a S&W Chief Special for example. Anybody have any advice on this fiream or similar examples?

Keep in mind I'll be buying used, so long-term reliability is also an issue.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Whats wrong with your speed 6 to heavy? They for sure are heavy.

Only thing i can really say is if you can find someone who has a good amount of guns to let you try out go that route yeah its expensive to have to buy to try to find soemthing your comfortable with i dont even wanna start listing what i have for carry or have bought for carry.

Im sure someone will be along who can tell you about smith autos only one's i have experaince with is a 22 and a 1911sc. So not a wide usuage of there autos.

I had good luck with one of the 690x series that I owned for a bit before deciding the $$$ was better spent on a gun I enjoyed more.

It worked fine, don't get me wrong - it just wasn't for me at that point in my life.

The Smith autos of recent vintage seem to all work fine, even if they aren't the prettiest thing alive.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

You'll find plenty of the S&W 469 and 69XX series pistols out there to be Police trade-ins. They're Hi Cap mags and the guns work VERY reliable They usually sell for around 265.00 to 300.00 Keep an eye out for those, as they are VERY used. There are also plenty of the S&W model 60 out there in 38 Spl. I've been seeing the older ones lately, for around 225.00 to 275.00 Used.

I had purchased a 4" XD40 to use for primary carry. I couldn't find a holster that made it comfortable to carry without printing, so I traded it in on a Taurus PT145. The shop had the Taurus listed for $329 (brand new). It is smaller (height, length, and width) and weighs less fully loaded (10+1 45ACP) than my Rossi .357 snubby. Maybe something to look at...

Tanksoldier, let me settle your problem. I got a Springfield 1911 that I carry sometimes. Well, I decided to purchase SW Chiefs Model 37 +P and I have not looked back. I carry the 1911 when I get the itch, but mostly the 38. Yeah its 5 shots so what, people say all they want to about my five shots and Speer Gold Dots lets see you stand there and take a round. The noise alone will cause a bad guy to pat foot and stacy. I keep it in a Fobus holster sucks in tight with a Garrison Belt from the Army Navy store. I wear one size large button ups or Dickies shirts. Get this and practice you wont be mad.....
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Administrator

Buying Used

So Many really fine older GREAT used firearms are being traded in these days. Some have only been carried and shot VERY little.
    Police trade ins are good & reliable. A lot of "Not New" firearms show "honest holster wear" but, who really cares on a great defensive carry handgun?
    Some shooters think that when you buy a used or 2nd hand firearm that you are always buying somebody elses problem.
    That is not the case or even usually true.
    People have hundreds of personal reasons for selling off firearms that have NOTHING to do with them being "bad guns" ~
    Security guard or LEO retires - estates get settled - too many firearms in a collection - people move - people need cash - People want to upgrade to a higher cap or higher/lower caliber weapon - Folks leave the country ~ entire agency changes over to a different weapon system - SIG factory rebuilds - somebody wants a polymer frame lighter handgun - so many reasons.
    A store owner keeps a gun at his business & then retires...does not think he "needs" a gun anymore.
    I have "sold or traded back" at least 15 or 20 firearms myself for various reasons...NONE having to do with the fact that the guns that were traded back were lemons. I traded back a NIB Star PD once just because I needed "one more gun" to complete a nice even trade on a vintage Colt.
    You can sometimes great guns in pawn shops also.
    I dumped an original DETONICS .45 because some parts were not compatible with Colt & I thought I would go with a light weight Colt that had just been put on the dealer shelve. I barely had 200 rounds through that Chopped~Semi.

Tanksoldier, my 1st carry weapon was /is a speed six. It has a 2.75in barrell ,stainless. I still carry this on occaision, The rig that worked best for me is a Don Hume iwb holster model H715. I am 6''1 and 200lbs. and this rig suits me well for strong side or appendix carry, depending on my mode of dress at the time. The holster was very reasonably priced , as I bought it straight from the factory. Check it out and don't count the speed six out yet.A new holster is a lot cheaper than a used auto popper.

QK's right. I see a LOT of guns going thru the Dealer, that are HARDLY EVER shot. People trade up, or down, depending on seasonal changes, money issues, and lots of other reasons. DON'T count out that "used" gun. You may be saving a couple hundred bucks to begin with, not to mention the extras they might come with (holster, accessories, extra mags, etc).. Recently, I bought a NEW G29 10mm, and I NEVER buy new. Why? I dunno, but it just looked good, and I "just wanted it" With my luck, a used one will drift in, and I'll kick my butt.
    Ohh BTW QK, I know where I can place my fingers on 3 Detonics guns (1 blue, and 2 MKVI's in stainless) just in case you get the urge LOL......

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I would recommend gun shows and your classifieds if you know your guns.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Aimsurplus has few used guns you might be interested in:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Handguns.html

Nothing at all wrong with Chiefs Specials in thier different configurations. Except for the latest and greatest Scandium and Titanium models they are usually fairly inexpensive and there are a lot of them out there that have been fired very little.

Well since you got so many replies I might as well add to the confusion. I've been carrying for forty years, right now I have 35 handguns in my safe and more holsters than Sears has bras.

If I was going to start again, I would get a DOA Semi-auto with a hi cap magazine. Right now I carry a Sigma. 9ve with a 15 round mag in a IWB holster. There's a lot of great DOA pistols out there, it all depends on which one you like. The reason I got a Sigma was, it was beside a 1911 in the case that I was getting and for $300 I couldn't walk away.

Don't get me wrong I love wheelguns. I carried them for years and without a doubt they always work. But if you think about it what really is the difference between a DOA without a safety and a wheelgun..

Here's some of the guns I put away that I use too carry, untill I found the Sigma. Sig Sauer P220, S&W 1911, 457, 66-2 2 1/2 inch, 66-5 4 inch, 657 4 inch, PPK/S [I have 2 ], Model 37, Model 67 4 inch. Model 27-2, Model 28-2 and the list go's on.

The reason I picked the Sigma is it proved too me to be reliable and it's has high cap magazines and weight is great. It is no tack driver I'll grant you that but with a extra mag in my pocket 30 rounds is more than enough. I carry it in a High Noon IWB.

Good luck with what ever you get.

Links