NAA Pug

NAA Pug

This is a discussion on NAA Pug within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have one of these little puppies? The name “Pug” may have derived from the Latin Pugnus, meaning Fist. With this in mind, the NAA ...

Thread: NAA Pug

NAA Pug

Anyone have one of these little puppies?

The name “Pug” may have derived from the
    Latin Pugnus, meaning Fist. With this in
    mind, the NAA Pug can be characterized as
    multum in parvo (“much in little”) in reference
    to the small and convenient size.
    Squat and sturdy like its namesake dog, The
    NAA Pug is chambered in 22 Magnum and
    sports a 1” heavy barrel. You can count on
    this stocky companion to deliver a bite even
    worse than his bark.
    Slightly oversized pebble-textured rubber
    grips enable the handler to keep a firm
    “leash” on this pocket-sized puppy. The XS
    sighting system provides a quick sight
    picture and will enable the handler to direct
    the bite.
    The pedigree is pure North American Arms.

http://www.naaminis.com/news42.pdf
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I don't have one personally but a female co-worker carries one as a "bra gun", literally. I've asked her about it, and she says she takes it to the range (along with her purse gun, a .357 snubby) and shoots it regularly, and likes it just fine. I've always thought they're kind of toys, but the .22 in the pocket (or bra...) is better than the .45 in the car, right?

I'm sure a few people here have one and will respond. I'll wager the average response is "it works well given it's intended purpose".

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Have a mini with the foldout handle. It's awesome for a have a gun when you don't have a gun gun.

With that said, .22 magnum out of that short of a barrel is like a .22lr out of a rifle at best. So, you gotta take it for what it is. Great little gun for snakes when hiking.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Although I prefer a larger caliber don't count the .22 Mag out, Sammy.

Take a look at this post starting with the third paragraph and find out how the High Standard .22 Mag derringer shown above was used.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...784-post8.html
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    You can even get that little sucker with night sights!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    You can even get that little sucker with night sights!
    That's in case you need to take a 25 yard shot with it!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lead Moderator
    I own a wood grips, tapered barrel version. Not sure I would care for the larger grip and heavier weight.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Although I prefer a larger caliber don't count the .22 Mag out, Sammy.

Take a look at this post starting with the third paragraph and find out how the High Standard .22 Mag derringer shown above was used.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...784-post8.html
    I remember reading that. That was some good shooting. Still though, I am much more comfortable with my G23, just sometimes I can't have the G23. It's better than a pointy stick for sure. You carry 10mm for a reason right? Although I'm sure the Mini will get the job done if it comes to that.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    I remember reading that. That was some good shooting. Still though, I am much more comfortable with my G23, just sometimes I can't have the G23. It's better than a pointy stick for sure. You carry 10mm for a reason right? Although I'm sure the Mini will get the job done if it comes to that.
    Sammy, my thoughts exactly. If I don't have anything else I'll use it. I don't carry the derringer and I am not the shot my father was. If you can put the round where you want it to go it can be effective. It is much more effective than .22LR. But I carry the Mustang as my BUG. The derringer was not my father's primary weapon either, but it was the one he carried in the store. The plan was to use it to get to something bigger preferably one of the shotguns. It didn't work out that way so he used what he had.

I like the looks of the NAA. My brother-in-law, the deputy, carries one in his pants pocket all the time. At the distance he is likely to use it, it will cause the other person to at least think.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Administrator
    I have one, and I've never found much use for it other than just being able to say I own one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have had four NAAs myself. They hit if you can hit. Handy little size. Limitations, yes...
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I have one. The front sight came off. Not that it did any good. I tried "sighting" it in and could never figure out where it was aimed. Still, if that is all you could carry, it is better than nothing.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I wish somebody'd post some info/several pics about the knife-clip type folding grip for the NAA revos,...be interesting extreme BUG (if Im not at work,I ALWAYS wear cargo pants),...too bad it doesn't have a wave opener (spyderco=spoiled me.)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I carry the NAA mini mag for my BUG. I plan on carrying it this summer on the motorcycle. I love the little thing. To me it was all about figuring out how to grip it. At 10 ft I can put all five rounds in the head with very tight groups. You can also shoot the thing like the cowboy action guys, and it seems to be very fast.

I work with a few guys that made fun of me for carrying a .22mag. When I asked it they wanted to volunter to take a few rounds in the head they quickly said no. It's been a great little gun so far.

Links