Mounted light and/or laser?

This is a discussion on Mounted light and/or laser? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For using a flashlight with your gun, I would echo Bob's (acparmed) recommendation above. The Harries technique works well and is alot more versatile, for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mounted light and/or laser?

DC Founder
    For using a flashlight with your gun, I would echo Bob's (acparmed) recommendation above. The Harries technique works well and is alot more versatile, for me, than having it mounted on the gun. As Chris said, a mounted gunlight does give you some holster problems.

I'm another that would whole-heartedly recommend Sam Andrews for a custom holster. Sam's the best.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

2. Remove Ads

See I've never been able to get behind the idea of a light on a handgun. The main thing is I use my light a heck of a lot more than I draw my gun.

If your light is mounted on your handgun, whatever you are illuminating, you are also pointing a muzzle at. The last time I checked I am not immune to civil lawsuits.

I can only carry so much volume of stuff on me. I don't want to have to draw a gun every time I want to illuminate a keyhole.

Not to mention if you do need to use a handgun and a light at the same time, if they're separate units, you can simply extend your arm out to your side as you move. They will shoot at a COM that's not there.

Compare that to having your light on your gun and holding the gun in the ready position. The aggressor will shoot at the light in the darkness, and by extension, you.

Laser sights, especially the CTC grips, are making more and more sense to me as time goes forward. Personally at this point I will not put one on a carry gun unless it comes from the factory like that. How would a laser sight look in a courtroom where you are trying to prove you weren't planning to shoot anyone? Just something to think about.

I can see the argument for a laser sight on a house gun, but still not the light. I sleep with the lights on and that's 1000 times better than any flashlight.

Senior Moderator
    Shotgun,
    I'll share some of my thoughts about a weapon mounted light, handgun that is. For a while I was a gung ho tactical-light-on-the-gun guy. I wound up with a Surefire X200 that is my pick, but I haven't got to try a M3X. All my guns had to have rails, I even built a 1911 from a Caspian slide and frame with rails. Used them in training at Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, and Blackwater - they worked great - free hand to work doors and all that.

One day as I pouted over my H&K USP for having some kind of H&K proprietory rail that my tact lights wouldn't fit, I suddenly realized I never carry a tact light with me or on the gun even though I have a Blade-tech holster for a Glock with light and another for a 1911 with light. They're just too big. S I began to re-evaluate my light strategy and here's I found. I always have a handheld light with me and I can't carry a rail light nearly as easily. So if "it" happens, I'll have a handheld for sure so I'd better be able to use it. And that's my final answer.

But at home, overnight, the nightstand gun with a tactical light is a good idea. Tangle, my dog, and I were awaken one night by a threatening sound. When I saw Tangle barking her head off pointing at the doorway, I knew this wasn't the usual "bump in the night".

I was remembering what Clint Smith told us in lecture about inmates teaching inmates to break into a house and rush to the bedroom to catch the occupants before they could respond. I retrieved the C&L'd 1911 from the bed stand and pointed at the bedroom doorway. To my pleasant surprise the WML (weapon mounted light) was already on and flooding the bedroom doorway with blinding light. This was one time I carefully and thoughtfully considered calling the police. But I didn't - dumb, dumb, dumb - and I proceeded to follow dumb with foolish and "cleared" my house myself - dumb, dumb, dumb! I was very fortunate that it wasn't an intrusion, and maybe "they" were too. Never did discover what the noise was.

The next morning I "debriefed" myself on my response and realized how awkward and time consuming it could have been to have to retrieve my gun, with one hand, and try to retrieve a light with the other hand, get the gun and the light indexed in the same direction, etc. So having the tactical light was a distinct advantage. Clearing my house was suicide - what was I thinking!

So my strategy is handheld light while out and about, WML overnight. But if you choose a handheld, practice with it and practice looking around both left and right corners.

Lastly, a handheld needs a lanyard. There is no way to hold a light in one hand, a gun in the other hand and open a door with the other hand - we don't have that many hands! You could holster the gun, open the door and hope you can get your gun back out before you need it. You could put your light under your arm or in your pocket but you've got a long reach to get the light back and you could drop it. The lanyard allows you to drop the light to open the door and easily retrieve it. The lanyard also solves the dropped light problem.

Then having said that, I don't carry a lanyard because it draws too much attention to my light. Anyway that's my thoughts and I've said too much again! Why didn't somebody stop me!

You do well to consider your lighting needs!

Cool Yes & No

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie
    Is there any wisdom to having the new insight x2l mounted on a HK P2000SK? I am planning on buying the HK (I think) and saw the light/laser combo available. Does anyone else mount a light or laser on their gun? Is it needed or is it just a novelty?
    Okay I don't have one of these...YET! There is a very limited use for this combo. I will use mine in a dedicated home defense role. A sig Sauer P220ST 45ACP with a SureFire X200 gun light mounted on the rail and CT LaserGrips for an extra edge in shooting from strange positions. The laser also helps DE-Escalate some situations. Primarily gunlights and lasers are BEST used on the H&KMP5 family of weapons, especially suppressed. But there is a distinct value on the handgun for clearing buildings, especially the home dwelling. But I would NEVER put them on a gun intended to carry on the street for a great many reasons. Too heavy and bulky for instance. The white light and laser will give away your position outdoors where you may have much more than one or two opponents in a wide variety of hidden positions. You don't want the 4 "F" principle used against you: Find 'em, Fix 'em, FIGHT 'em and....FINISH 'EM!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I also have XD Sub Compact and when I use it as a bed stand gun, it has an XML tactical light mounted on it. I find this very convenient as it leaves my left hand free for opening doors etc. I also have a couple of Lasers for some of my other guns. The lasers are very good for aiming in the dark, however, if it is really dark, you can not see what you are aiming at very well (NOT GOOD). I like to see who or what I am aiming at so I have never really used the Lasers, except for playing around with them.

Assistant Administrator
    uudl - if we have light, even weak hand and even if not directly on actual target - it would give enough light for target aquisition and this is where the lazer can come in IMO. It would for me permit a strong hand only grip from other than a sighting hold sufficient to get into action usefully. Plus on my SIG I also have night sights so if only a small amount of light available std sighting still an option.

So for me the laser is in almost all respects something I see as potentially invaluable - and in fact if gun was strong hand and to the side and a BG shot at the dot - chances are it could well miss your most vulnerable portions. I know - conjecture, conjecture! Always is
    There is a lot of talk about Sig's around here. I never looked at them as an option. Might as well look at them too. Any recommendations?
    Willie (I'll stop calling you Shotgun!!) - There are many SIG's and a visit to the SIG site (not sure of URL) would let you familiarize with the variants available. I choose the 226 ST in 9mm - lets me carry 15+1. Same gun tho in .357 SIG or .40 as an option. A 220 would serve for .45acp and then there are some smaller variants too like 228. Take a look at what there is and then drop back with any questions.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I went through the Laser/Light/Rail option with a customer this afternoon. He was dead set for having the system placed on his new handgun.
    Ok, picture this. I have a Glock, Sig, XD9, Smith 3913TSW out. Now, I tried on the Laser/light vcombo on allof them so he would get a better feeling for what it would look like and feel like. After trying out all his options, and wih my explaining to him, about how much he was really going to use it (he stated they looked REALLY COOL in a movie he saw) He then settled for a HK USP Compact 40cal Stainless, with NIGHT SIGHTS (Which he fell in love with, due to the right feel in his hands, he originally wanted something totally different. I took him through the whole deal about pros and cons of everything.
    NOW imagine that.. He wanted a fisrt handgun, with the rail mounted laser/light, and came out with something totally different, and he admitted that his idea was to have something that was "really cool" I DO know the laser/light setup isn't for everybody, because of different applications of use, but we buy what we see, mainly due to movie hype and such.
    Just food for thought and some good honest advice from behind the counter.

Assistant Administrator
    Bob - how glad I am you were there to guide the guy, with solid good advice. ''Looks cool'' is no way for anyone ever - to base their selection of a defensive platform :rolleyes'' - which you obviously well know, as do most of us!

It is sad that so few (relatively) gun stores bother to give advice - even more sad is that too often the advice is misguided and sometimes downright irresponsible.

Oh that all could advise properly. Thx for doing your bit - it is good to know dude.
    Chris - P95

It is amazing how much information and good advice I have received in only two days time. I know I keep saying thank you, but I mean it. I have never had this much help before. Part of the reason I never bought and/or carried. I didn't know what the heck I was doing. (I'll be the first to admit that I dont. I'm ok with that)

I am not a big TV or movie watcher, so I can't say that I have seen the light/gun combo on TV, but even so, I hardly see Hollywood as a good foundation for basing ones decisions on. Glad you could dissuede him from that line of thought.

Not to change the direction of this thread, but....why do so many of you choose a handgun over a shotgun for HD? Would be curious to hear why you guys chose the handgun. Tactical reasons or comfort? I don't mind that you do, just didn't realize that so many chose the handgun over shotgun. My reasoning was less to worry about in a critical situation, not much to the aiming part with a 12 gauge. Besides, I would hope the sound of my 870 being loading would be a sufficent deterent to a BG. I have no problem pulling the trigger if needed, I just dont want to make that kinda mess if needed. Thought the pump would help with that.

A tac light makes a lot of sense on a shotgun to me. Hard to turn on lights and hold the boomstick. Dont want one one the 870 so I guess I will have to tell the wife that I need that Benelli M4 I mentioned. Oh darn!

BTW can you tell I like shotguns? I like handguns, just haven't shot many. Hope to rectify that soon.

P95, You are welcome to call me either. Just a silly name I came up with at three in the morning (fueled by my love of shotguns of course). My real name is Kurt. You are also welcome to call me that as well. Your preference. I'm easy going.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Kurt/Shotgun Willie,

Actually almost any long gun is vastly superior to almost any handgun in terms of stopping a BG. Having said that, they are also more awkward in the confined spaces of a dwelling. Handguns are easier to carry around all the time than long guns are. And this site leans toward Concealed Carry, so people tend to answer from that viewpoint.

As for your HD shotgun, you might consider a red dot sight.

Shotgun,

I prefer a Shotgun for HD also. Mines a moss 500 pump with 18”bbl. I have Light field loads in the sidesaddle and OO buck and slugs on the butt shell carrier. I mounted a flashlight and old style laser to the bbl. I love my handguns for CCW because of their concealability but really wish I could carry a Sebu shorty (if only I could figure out a good way to conceal it).
    :D

Livin in the woods......feelin mighty good
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

I see your point AutoFan, thanks.

V-fib, I wish I had an 18" barrel. My 870 has a 26" barrel. I like the feel of a long swing when shooting trap, but too big for HD. Being a SuperMag makes it hard to get a shorter barrel. It was my first gun and I didn't think about the length being an issue with HD. Live and learn. Good excuse for another though. Too bad we can carry shotguns! I would be happy man!
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Assistant Administrator
    Kurt - ahhh that's better!

For me re the choice - handgun/shotgun - I would agree alll round that the shottie is numero uno as choice for CQC at close range but - for me it is also an unwieldy tool, plus the logistical problem of storage and security - in my house anyways. My step kids are nearly gone but not quite, yet. So - some concerns over who might be visting etc when I was not there.

My 870 spends it's life of luxury right next to me in office, a mere 18" away and so is accessible. Because I carry 16/7, my SIG is ever present, and at end of day it finishes up on floor by bed, until rising in morning. Therefore it is my natural choice, plus having CT grips and night sights and, 15+1. My possible field of fire in bedroom does not include for most part any people hazards beyond ''bullet stop distance'' - and so over penetration is not a major concern.
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Kurt - ahhh that's better!

For me re the choice - handgun/shotgun - I would agree alll round that the shottie is numero uno as choice for CQC at close range but - for me it is also an unwieldy tool, plus the logistical problem of storage and security - in my house anyways. My step kids are nearly gone but not quite, yet. So - some concerns over who might be visting etc when I was not there.

My 870 spends it's life of luxury right next to me in office, a mere 18" away and so is accessible. Because I carry 16/7, my SIG is ever present, and at end of day it finishes up on floor by bed, until rising in morning. Therefore it is my natural choice, plus having CT grips and night sights and, 15+1. My possible field of fire in bedroom does not include for most part any people hazards beyond ''bullet stop distance'' - and so over penetration is not a major concern.
    I've got a Scattergun Technology shotgun (before Wilson Combat bought them), in fact I drove to Nashville and picked it up right from Scattergun themselves.

P95 makes am excellent point about the, "...unwieldy tool, plus the logistical problem of storage and security...". Also the "secured" issue makes my shottie less accessable; by necessity it stays locked up. But like P95, my handgun is always on my side ready for whatever.

Hey I did it! I actually posted a short post and actually stayed on topic.

Nice to have the handgun at the ready , but better to have the scattergun at the ready as well. Nuthin like the sound of that first round being chambered, especially in the middle of the night, and in the dim/dark night. Perks your ears up REAL QUICK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links