Mounted light and/or laser?

This is a discussion on Mounted light and/or laser? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there any wisdom to having the new insight x2l mounted on a HK P2000SK? I am planning on buying the HK (I think) and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mounted light and/or laser?

Is there any wisdom to having the new insight x2l mounted on a HK P2000SK? I am planning on buying the HK (I think) and saw the light/laser combo available. Does anyone else mount a light or laser on their gun? Is it needed or is it just a novelty? If a good idea, what is the likelyhood of finding a holster for a P2000sk with the x2l mounted?
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

I really think it depends on your individual situation.

When I am out in the country (away from "civilization") late at night trying to pursue an astronomy hobby I carry a Ruger 345 in a Fobus holster. I have a Glock light mounted on the gun.

Do you use the light much? and was it hard to find a holster for that setup?
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Assistant Administrator
    I have a tac' rail on my SIG and would like to have a light on it - but it does present holster headaches for me. So haven't gone any further.

OTOH - re lasers - I have the CT grips and these I regard as a valuable addition. Best I can do is have my E1e in left hand and gun in right - and/or find a two hand hold to use both.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I just looked at CT's website and they dont have grips for the P2000sk. This is starting to be a problem. There are very few accessories or holsters for the P2000sk. Maybe I should consider a different gun. Any thoughts?
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

I haven't had my setup long. The Fobus holster works. It does not conceal well for me though. I don't care about concealment anyway when I am out in the country.

I suppose you could get away with concealing it but the Ruger isn't that small and Fobus only has a holster available as a "roto-holster" and that makes it stick out away from the body a bit.

There might be some holsters available for the HK that would allow you to mount a light. Others here might be aware of them. I know Fobus makes that type of holster for several Glock models.

I don't normally carry the Ruger with the light attached. I carry it in a belly band or in a Galco Cop 3-slot holster.

I had an encounter with a wild animal one night. I was alone and had trouble trying to walk in some rough terrain, manage a flashlight in my left hand and then had to draw with my right. I decided that next time I want my left hand free. - Just my preference.

FWIW - For me, my draw is fairly slow from my Fobus "Tactical Speed Holster". Perhaps I just don't know how to draw from this type holster but it seems slow to me.

https://secure.fobusholster.com/cata...bde95312370232
    Last edited by logistar; September 4th, 2005 at 12:54 AM.

Cool

Is this your CCW? Perhaps a handheld flashlight? CT is coming out with grips for many new guns all the time check with them to see if they have plans for yours. I personally like a revolver for CC. I have a Sp101 3Ē .357 and S&W 642 .38 that I have the CT grips on. Like P95 said they are a valuable tool and are of very high quality (very bright ). They are especially suited to quick target acquisition esp. in low light and awkward firing positions, and you donít have to have a special holster when you have them on your weapon.

Livin in the woods..... Feelin mighty good.
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

How sensitive is the trigger on the CT's? Do they come on when grasping the grip on the gun so that the are always on or does it require an extra little squeeze to turn on.

How easy is it to come into a firing position with flashlight and gun in a draw situation? Can this be done with relative quickness? Sorry for all the questions. I am new to all of this. I am sure I will have more questions than comments for quite a while.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

i have 3 guns witht he light rail and dont use it really on anyof them it is neat on my subcompact xd becuse its so little if its out for a bed stand gun it has the tac light mounted to it .

but if i need a flashlight i just carry a surefire
    Attached Images

1952 - 2006
    As far as your question about using a flashlight in concert with your gun I prefer the Harries technique. This position is acquired by thrusting the handgun forward, then crossing the light under the gun arm and placing the backs of the hands against each other. The Harries technique requires that the thumb be toward the chest, which is the natural way to hold a light with the button on the tail cap or for anyone who uses the flashlight at or above shoulder level. This technique should work well for shooters who prefer a Weaver or modified Weaver (Chapman) position.

Drawing your gun and your flashlight simultaneously is not recommended. But I have found that when in the dark and I feel uncomfortable I already have my flashlight out. I carry a Surefire 6P which is a rather old light by todays standards, but it works very well for me.

I may not draw my gun every day other than to holster it in the AM and unholster in the PM but I do draw my flashlight 6 or 8 times a day.

With little practice the Harries Technique is easily masterable. The correct position for me when complete is my strong hand is wedged between my watch and the back of my weak hand which is holding the flashlight pointed where my gun is pointed. Actually it's usually a little higher than my actual point of aim. I prefer to shine the light in the BG's eyes and the muzzle in the 'A' zone. This will make you less of a target, he can't shoot what he can't see. (unless he's lucky).
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Makes sense now. I have seen LEO in that stance but wasn't sure if you attempted to draw both at the same time. When I purchase a handgun, I will have to practice that. I may have to anyway if I intend to get the p2000sk. Spent all evening looking for a way to cc the 2000 with a mounted light. No luck. Only option I found was a tactical leg holster. Not exactly concealed carry. Thanks for the info.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

1952 - 2006
    Try Sam Andrews. www.andrewsleather.com his website won't show you what you are looking for, but that's why you go to a custom holster maker like Sam. Tell him that Bob Ford recommended you and ask for what you want. Two things, he's not cheap, but he's slow. It won't come in a hurry but if he decides to make it you'll never need another holster to pack it in. Ask him if he could make one for you based on the hybrid saddle design. I find it the most comfortable OWB holster I've ever owned. One of the quickest to draw from concealed as well.

Just a suggestion. You can find his phone number on the website or there is a link here as well.

Good Luck.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Shotgun,

Lights and lasers have two different purposes, from what I've read. Lights allow you to identify a target, lasers allow you to aquire an aimpoint more quickly. Both have their place in a home defense situation (IMHO).

Most people use a mounted light for the firearms when they're using them in a HD situation. You might consider the Insight light and laser combo for something like that. Most people who CC carry a flashlight seperate from their firearms.

If you also want to carry the mounted light, the advertisements that I've seen for the X2 make it seem like the lght will come off the pistol without a problem. Several holster manufacturers make a belt holster / pouch for a tac light that is carried apart from the gun.

Finally, from what I've read (not personal experience), even if you have a light mounted under your firearm, it's a good idea to carry a seperate light, because you don't want to be pointing the firearm at something unless you intend to shoot it.

As far as CT stuff goes, CT lasergrips have not been released for any polymer framed pistols, with the exception of Glock models. The orginal CT mount for glock included machining part of the frame away to mount the laser module. I know there are new ones that simply pin in place.

Hope this helped,

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Assistant Administrator
    Shotgun - just re your question on the CT ''trigger''.

Well - pressure switch really. On my revo CT grips there is a small ''clixon'' type switch which shows as a small button and is automatically switched to on when middle finger curls round grip - just a normal grip - no extra pressure required. At the grip's base is a small slider switch which acts as a master switch - I always leave mine on as no battery discharge occurs anyways till you grip gun and turn on the beam.

On the SIG it is a bit different - there is a pressure pad both sides of grip which is about in right place for the pad of missle finger. I find that excellent and again - no effort - grip gun - laser comes on. I am aware tho - if hands too small on these grips, then maybe finger won't reach pad so easily. Once more, there is a master switch - this time at lower rear of left panel.

Hope this helps explain a bit.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I use a 870 Express SuperMag w/00 buck for HD, but it is too long and I dont want a light on it. I am thinking about a Benelli M4 with collapsible stock, tritium ghost ring sights and a Insight light mounted under barrel. Only disadvantage is the m4 is autoloading. I like the pump but I can get a shorter weapon with the M4 collasible stock and shorter barrel. Oh well, shotgun talk is for a different thread.

Sounds like the light on barrel is not the best option for on person carry. I thought it would be easier than drawing both your weapon and light seperatly, but that doesn't sound like a problem. If I understand right, I should probaly already have my light out anyway.

There is a lot of talk about Sig's around here. I never looked at them as an option. Might as well look at them too. Any recommendations?
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links