Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New (to me) Glock 21

4K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  JD 
#1 ·
Well, after deliberating for quite a while, I finally sold my XD45 and bought a lightly used 3rd gen Glock 21 (.45 ACP) this afternoon. It seems to be in really nice shape, and doesn't look to have been fired much. I'll pick it up sometime early this week. It will compliment my G17 very nicely.
The XD was nice, but I basically soured on the idea of carrying it due to some jamming issues that I experienced shortly after I bought it. Although it seemed to run just fine for the last 300 rounds or so, I never really regained confidence in the gun after that, and I never really felt comfortable when I carried it. Also, once I started practicing a lot with the G17, I realized the grip angle and trigger felt a lot more natural to me than the XD's did.

#2 ·
Congrats...on your new purchase...
It's a sidearm that will ALWAYS go boom (Glocks, ya' gotta' love 'em...)

Stay armed...stay safe!

#3 ·
Congrats! I hear a lot about people switching to the XD from the Glock. But you don't hear a whole lot about people switching back to the Glock's from the XD's. I'm glad you found what works for you and stuck with it! :hand10:

#21 ·
Depends on where you look. I've heard alot of the exact opposite part of why an XD.45 compact is my EDC with thousands of rounds through it without a problem. The trigger got even better and a taste lighter after about 500 rounds, First real compliant I've heard about the XD. Have to wonder if it is a exception or a shooter problem. Limp wristing maybe? That sure is a tacky term. Anyway it's the exception not the rule as far as I know.

#7 ·
Well, the dealer that I purchased my new G21 from called me today, and told me it was ready to be picked up (I have had delays on the last two guns I've purchased, for some reason). Of course, I went and got it right away this afternoon ;-)
The gun was really gunked up with some unknown crap; it almost looked as if someone had spilled soda or something sticky on it. If I had to guess, though, I'd say it had no more than 200 rounds through it; there was no holster wear or scratches on the frame or slide, either.
I field stripped it, gave it a quick once over, and took it to the range to check it out. I put 100 rounds flawless rounds through it, and I get the same warm, fuzzy, I-just-can't-miss feeling from the G21 as I do from my G17. I don't know what the deal was with my XD, but I always felt as if I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. My only regret about switching to the Glock .45 is that I didn't do it a lot sooner ;-)
And once I got the G21 home, I stripped it down and gave it a thorough cleaning. After I got all the gunk and dust off of it, I saw that it's actually in like-new condition and has hardly a mark on it. I got the gun for $425 out the door, too; I think I did pretty good.

The obligatory shot of the "stable".

One of the targets from a range session with my G17. It looks like crap, but I was practicing fast point-shooting at the figure. I took my time with the bullseyes, and shot the upper ones with the target up against the backstop (pretty sure it's 100 feet). I felt that it was the best shooting I had done to date.

And this was from today, with the G21. My point shooting looked a little better, as did my bullseye shooting. The lower two bullseyes were at 21 feet, but the rest of them were all the way back against the backstop. I thought I did well, especially since it was the first time ever firing my new pistol. The longer distance groups would probably have been twice that size with my XD45.

So yeah, you guys were right when you talked about finding what works for you ;-)

#8 ·
For $425, you made a killer of a deal! Congratulations and best of luck, and keep that "warm fuzzy feeling".

#10 ·
The XD was nice, but I basically soured on the idea of carrying it due to some jamming issues that I experienced shortly after I bought it. Although it seemed to run just fine for the last 300 rounds or so, I never really regained confidence in the gun after that, and I never really felt comfortable when I carried it.
Tut tut...

You are aware that most manufacturers reccomend a 300 round break in period for a new handgun right?

It sounds like you got rid of a good gun for a bad reason. A common mistake.

#11 ·
I talked to someone at Springfield about the jamming issue, and was told they recommend a 750 round break in period. Also, I was told that JHP ammo is NOT recommended, and to use ball ammo only. I didn't know how I was going to get them to repair my gun, when the majority of the jamming issues occurred with ammo that was not recommended by the manufacturer. There was no way I was going to carry a gun that would only shoot ball ammo, .45 ACP or not, when the modern JHP ammo is so superior.
Another reason I sold it was that the slide was getting some corrosion in the machined grip areas, which is apparently common on Bi-Tone XDs, and I was concerned that it'd be a recurring problem.
I also just didn't shoot it very well, and I don't know if it was just me, the gun, or both. I do know that I feel much more confident with my new G21, and shoot it much better than i did my XD.

#12 ·
Sounds like a good choice on your part and that's a great price. My buddy calls his G21 "The Master Blaster". It is a great shooter.

#13 ·
I also just didn't shoot it very well, and I don't know if it was just me, the gun, or both. I do know that I feel much more confident with my new G21, and shoot it much better than i did my XD.
Thats just the way it is with some guns. Thats why its important to try them out first if at all possible.

As long as you're sastified with it and can shoot it well,thats the most important thing.The Glock will serve you well.:smilez:

#14 ·
Yeah, it's funny how you learn that stuff the hard way. My friend had his carry permit, and he carried a standard 4" XD45; he had nothing but good things to say about it, as did a lot of other people I talked to about them. I know there are a lot of people on DC who love their XDs as well...one of those things, I guess.

I just looked up my G21's serial number prefix, and it comes back early 2000. It's got less wear on the outside of the barrel than my almost brand new G17 does at 500 rounds. Someone must have just tossed it in a drawer somewhere and forgot about it or something...hmm.

#15 · (Edited)
I talked to someone at Springfield about the jamming issue, and was told they recommend a 750 round break in period. Also, I was told that JHP ammo is NOT recommended, and to use ball ammo only. I didn't know how I was going to get them to repair my gun, when the majority of the jamming issues occurred with ammo that was not recommended by the manufacturer. There was no way I was going to carry a gun that would only shoot ball ammo, .45 ACP or not, when the modern JHP ammo is so superior.
Another reason I sold it was that the slide was getting some corrosion in the machined grip areas, which is apparently common on Bi-Tone XDs, and I was concerned that it'd be a recurring problem.
Have you made a post about this for all the other XD owners/fans out there? You should you know---this site's about information and helping a fellow brutha out ya know? Granted one's dislikes about a pistol are one thing, but if the factory folks are telling you THAT---geez whiz! 750 rounds break-in, hardball ammo only? Dude--this message really needs to get out and if you're not willing to do it, I might help!
I hope you are telling the truth because I've already spread the word.

#18 ·
I don't know where the rumor started about the 750 round break in or the no JPH rounds, but it is completely false. Almost always you will find that there is no break in requirement whatsoever, and that the XD will shoot anything that it is fed. Altough I have had a hiccup or two with Glock, I would never start such a rumor and tell everyone to get the message out, and that I would help to spread the rumor.

750 rounds -- you jest. Even my cheap Hi-Point required only 200, and would have required none, if I had known more about magazine tuning.

#22 ·
I have had my G21 for 4 years, and still love it. I lost track of how may rounds it has seen, and it survived two Gunsite classes.

If you put lots of round through it replace the mag springs, use Glock springs. I have found aftermarket mag springs to be less than satisfactory. Check out http://www.ombexpress.com/category~cat~426501.asp

It is a my preferred carry gun.

#23 ·
Another one who has put several thousand rounds through an xd9 without any failures whatsoever. I have to have somebody load snap caps randomly to practice failure drills. I think yours is an exception not the norm, and I don't think the 'word needs to be spread' based on one bad experience.

#25 ·
(BTW anyone know why the thumb safety for 2008 models?)
Are they really doing that? On all models? May need to scoop me up some pre 08's if that is true.

I'd guess it was a gun that was built early on a Monday, or toward the end of a shift on a Friday ;-)
.................. I wanted to like the XD, but it didn't work out. You guys are right, though; any manufacturer can kick out a few lemons here and there.
I thought the issue went away? Regardless, I don't think most folks took your post as saying XD's are defective least thats not what I read understood. I read you got a Glock you are happy with, couple of Glock guys gave you atta boys and tossed out some of that my gun is better than yours .... and bigger too or is it supposed to be smaller. My XD is smaller. Anyway, stuff I took as good natured jabs that we all do on occasion. To bad you and the XD did not work out but no big you got a good deal on the Glock that did not work out for someone else. Kinda like women gotta try a few before you find the perfect one. There was nothing "wrong" with most of my ex's they just weren't the one. Hope you have a happy relationship with your Glock, maybe she'd the one.

#29 ·
The Glock is a fine gun, and you certainly need to be comfortabe with the gun you carry. I have a Glock 19, and a 26. The 26 is for pocket carry, I don't carry the 19, though, since my XD 45 has become my primary carry gun for over a year. The only problem that I ever had with the XD is that it doesn't like crappy Wolf ammo. No problems with hollow points at all. I'm also surprised that you find that the Glock feels more natural to you, but I imagine it's due to your greater familiarity with the gun. Glocks have generally been considered to have a slighly unnatural grip angle, while the XD's grip angleis a completely natural one. Enjoy you Glock. As I said, it's a great gun. And if you prefer it to the Xd, fine, that's why there are so many different brands. But please don't displarage the XD. While you feel that the Glock is the better gun, there are a lot of us that disagree, who consider the XD to be far superior. It's all a matter of personal opinion.

#30 ·
Well, I can see where this on is going....."My Glock can beat up your XD" (or vice versa) :rolleyes:

There are now 3 deleted posts, if the following doesn't make sense to you, you're OK.

To those that know what I'm talkking about read carefully.

Ok gents, the OP had a problem with his gun. BIG DEAL.

He likes the Glock better. BIG DEAL

Lets just remember that everyone is different had has different likes.

What's next? I know how about we argue over what's better, boxers or briefs.

Further more, if anyone sees a comment being made that you think is out of line, use the report icon under the avatar of the person making the post, it looks like this:

I usually don't address these issues in public, but things are getting kind of screwy lately on the forum, I've all ready made one public termination of membership, I don't want to make any more.

To recap the FORUM RULES:
While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts or PMs. Trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are strictly prohibited. You are welcome to disagree with opinions other than your own, but flaming other members will not be allowed. If you can't figure out how to compose a post without it being confrontational or a personal attack on someone, simply bite your lip and don't post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.