What is the the best 1911 light weight for me?

This is a discussion on What is the the best 1911 light weight for me? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have a CCO that carries just wonderfully but I have had a hanker'n for a fullsize model. The two that I have been ...

Thread: What is the the best 1911 light weight for me?

What is the the best 1911 light weight for me?

So I have a CCO that carries just wonderfully but I have had a hanker'n for a fullsize model. The two that I have been looking at are the smith PD's and the lightweight SA's
    The smith is certainly built a bit better in regards to finishing touches. It doesn't have the edges, has a smoother thumb safety that isn't ambi, and it also has a undercut trigger guard. The dings though against it are that it has the front cocking serrations, external extractor that is different from the performance center model but the big ding though is that it has the series 80 internal safety on it. I don't trust this for some reason event hough I have never had a problem in the short amount of time that I have fired it.
    The SA certainly has more edges to it then the smith and more aggressive front cocking serrations but it's a series 70 with internal extractor but has a easily replaceable MSH. It also felt a bit heavier then the smith.

The original full size CCP fits the bill but I have been unable to find one of those at all. The II's use the schwartz safety and as pointed out above I really don't want that. Plus it has the front cocking serrations.

I really don't want the front cocking serrations as they have been eating up my MTAC's leather, what I have basically been looking for is a 1911 that has the following
    -No front cocking serrations
    -No shwartz safety
    -Internal extractor
    -light weight frame

I am about to just build my own but I can't find any aluminum receivers anymore. Caspian doesn't sell them at the moment so am I left with the custom builders?

2. Remove Ads

From your discription I'd almost recommend a Kimber Full Size CDP and remove the shwartz safety yourself, it's a pretty easy removal.

With the melted slide of the CDP, the front serrations might as well not even be there they are so smooth and not deep and you will save yourself quite a bit of money staying away from a full custom.

If MIM parts also bother you (which you will find with both SA and S&W as well) just change out the ones that take the most abuse as you go or all at once, might cost you $200.00 in parts.

I did exactly that with a very slightly used Ultra CDP that I think I have a $1,000 invested in with two set's of grips, reliability tune, trigger job and added a stainless magwell for that little extra at the bottom that works better for me and it is a fantastic gun.

Just food for thought. I wouldn't let one thing that can be easily removed and/or front cocking serrations that can be made and/or are made minimal on the CDP have to make you spend $2,000.00 for a custom gun.

Kimber - Continuing The Legacy: Custom CDP II

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Links