Thinking about a Glock 29.

This is a discussion on Thinking about a Glock 29. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking about getting another pistol (can't have enough right?) and only want to spend around $600. I'm also interested in getting my first ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a Glock 29.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

Thinking about a Glock 29.

I've been thinking about getting another pistol (can't have enough right?) and only want to spend around $600. I'm also interested in getting my first 10mm. I've never owned a Glock. People seem to love or hate them. I don't know enough about them to be swayed either way. Any opinions on the G29? Does it's smaller size make it a bad choice for a 10mm? I don't want to fork out the coin for nice 1911 10mm (DW CBOB, Kimber, etc.) right now so the Glock seems like the only choice out there for a 10mm in my price range. I've seen them under $500 used. What should I lookout for if buying a used Glock? Is the 3rd generation the latest G29?

Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Ads

I'm in the same boat. For some reason I have a 10mm itch, and the Glock 29 seems to fit the bill. I really like the option of buying a .40 or .357 conversion barrel just in case the 10mm really does go the way of the do do bird like some think it will.

I will be interested in seeing some of the feedback as well :)
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

VIP Member
    Good choice.

The first Glock I've ever fired (and owned) was a Glock 20 10mm.

I don't think the smaller G29 is bad choice (size-wise) for the 10mm....but honestly, only you can answer that one...it goes down to whether or not you can control the gun with real 10mm loads as opposed to with the water-down loads given to us by most of the major manufacturers. When I mean "real loads" I mean stuff loaded by Doubletap Ammunition, Georgia Arms, and Buffalo Bore....stuff that will meet or exceed 600 Ft Lbs of energy.

I do believe the G29 is in it's 3rd generation....don't quote me on that, I'm not a major Glockophile like others on this forum....others might know.

That said, like any other used gun, check for cracks and major wear. Consider swapping out springs...particularly the recoil and mainspring if the guns has any moderate to major mileage on it.

Doubletap: osCommerce (I recommend getting their 200 round variety pack and trying out several loads through your gun..if you get it...and then settle on a round your gun likes the most...and train with it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    (SNIP) I really like the option of buying a .40 or .357 conversion barrel just in case the 10mm really does go the way of the do do bird like some think it will. (SNIP)
    While the idea of getting a conversion barrel is great idea (especially in 9mm as the round is much cheaper in factory loadings that the 10mm), I don't think the 10mm is going away anytime soon.

After S&W and Winchester "gave" us the .40 S&W round, the 10mm almost completely died....gone were PDs and other LE agencies issuing the gun, gone was most of the development for the 10mm guns and rounds, and gone were many of the few guns that already existed (remember the Star Megastar? S&W 1046 and 1026?). Thanks to a handful of companies like Glock and EAA and those of us die-hard 10mm fanatics, the round stayed around...but just.

Then the firms Dan Wesson (during their pre-CZ days) and Doubletap, did something fantastic......a new 1911 gun (the Razorback) and ammo (from heavyweight 230 to 135 grain loads) were created. Both things made people notice that the round wasn't dead....and in fact, had much to offer.

Then enter Kimber with them building a new 10mm 1911, S&W (not being able to make up their darned minds) making and then dropping and maybe making (again?) the 610 revolver. Finally we have EAA making newer polymer framed Witnesses and (hopefully) Magpul making a new run of the Bren Ten called the "Fortis."

Nope not dead....close......and certainly not anywhere close to endangering the reigns of the .40 S&W, .45 ACP and/or 9mm as premier sellers, but not dead.
    Last edited by srfl; February 17th, 2008 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Changed "back" for "bad".... :-O
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

If anything, 10mm is currently making it's comeback. Definitely not dying. The 10mm and 10mm Glock crowd is growing.

I have a G30 and love it. If you want one, go for it. I'd consider Topglock. I got my G30 for $505 and the G29 should be the same price.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    As long as they offer 10mm brass, the caliber won't die.

The G29 is compact and light with ability to harness the 10mm's power.

I'd like a Glock 29 for my woman, but they are still pretty big in the grip for both her and me.

Saving my breath.. and pennies for a G29 SF.

Somebody's mom shooting a Glock 29, looks fun.
    YouTube - My Mom shooting a GLOCK29 10MM

PS. S&W would score big-time if they offered a 10mm M&P.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Thanks for the replies everyone,

Yeah, I think the 10mm will be around for awhile. That's not a concern to me. I was already planning on using Doubletap for a source of ammo also. The variety pack sounds good to help me find my favorite round. Thanks for the tip. That will take care of the ability to find good, reasonably priced ammo that I usually hear as a major concern of the 10mm. I'm not going to handload either.

clarkston_cz, what is the G29 SF? It would be cool if there were more options out there (M&P, XD, etc.) but if I start getting to the $1Kish mark, I'm going with a 10mm Dan Wesson CBOB. I'll checkout Topglock. I wasn't aware of those guys. Is it better to go with the factory night sights or add my own later. Also, I'll probably add some CT grips at some point. One thing about the Glock that appeals to me is that there is so much aftermarket stuff out there for them.

EDIT: I figured out about the 'SF' from Topglock. So with a slimmer frame, I'll be giving up capacity (if they come out with a G29SF)? They say the .45 30SF is coming out soon. Not that I'm interested in a .45 right now but isn't the G30SF going to be the same (or dang close) as a G36?

Thanks again for all the input.

The SF models do not give up capacity. The grip is still as wide as it was. Only the front to back measurement of the grip has changed.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I carried a G29 for a while, but finally admitted it was too big for my hands, causing some wild shots if I did not grip it just right, and even at my best I could not shoot it as well as the smaller-framed Glocks. It also had aftermarket sights that were not my cup of tea, so when I needed to raise some capital, it went away, with the thought I would like to try one again someday, with my choice of sights, and with a grip reduction. With the SF .45 Glocks now out, I hope now to see SF versions in 10mm, which would possibly eliminate any need for grip reductions. Edited to add: I had no trouble with recoil, even with the heaviest Cor-bon hunting loads, and I am no hero when it comes to recoil.
    Last edited by Rexster; February 17th, 2008 at 10:15 PM. Reason: typo

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Did someone say DW CBOB??
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

I think you'll really like the G29...I've been carrying mine daily for nearly a year now. I can't think of any negatives, provided it fits your hand. I have a hard time even considering carrying anything less than 10mm now...even my trusty .45's stay in the safe or maybe the occasional trip to the range...10mm rules!

I've said many times...I am not really a Glock "fan", yet own five of them. Well, maybe I am. I own them because they are a superb tools that alwas perform as expected and are very accurate out of the box.

The 1911 platform 10mm weapons are really nice & also pretty...they do not have the capasity that the Glock does.

I use DT in the 180 gr JHP for practice and carry...tough load to beat. I'm also looking into Georgia Arms 1000 pack for weekly practice at half the price. "NEW" 10mm 180gr Full Metal Jacket 1000pk - G10 F-1000

BTW, a great IWB holster for the G29 is the Crossbreed.Links
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Wasabi, the G29 is a great pistol, recoil is not bad and it is not difficult to conceal. As someone else mentioned you can in also shoot .357 Sig or 40 S&W. But..... If I were to do it again, I would get a G30, it is the same pistol as the G29 but chambered in 45 ACP. By simply dropping in a KKM precision 10 mm barrel and a G29 magazine you have the ability to shoot 10mm. as well for around $200.00. Moondo

Thanks Moondo,

That's great advice about the G30. I'm not real interested in shifting around calibers with the same gun though. I'm just looking for a quality, dedicated 10mm. BTW, will the G30 be able to handle 10mm rounds that are loaded up quite a bit? Is the G29 beefed up any for the 10mm or is it basically the same as the .45s accept for the barrel/magazine?

Thanks again.

They are the exact same guns, the only difference is the magazine and the chambering. (which is taken care of with the aftermarket barrel) .... "Beefing up" is one of the reasons why I would go the G30 route. You are taking the barrel blank of a .45 acp and putting a smaller 10mm chamber and bore in it. Therefore, you have more material and in theory a beefier set up. But if you have no intentions or need for swapping out calibers the G29 is a great weapon the way it is. I just wanted to let you know, that there are other options.

Shoot straight, Moondo

The 29 is great gun and I could see getting one again someday.
    I started out with G20 and a G29. I presently am happier with my 23and 27. The main reasons are;

1.) I could conceal my .40s easier and they are lighter to carry.

2.) I could shoot my .40s (mostly the 27 compared to the 29) faster, as in follow-up shots.

3.) .40 cal is cheaper. Even though I reload, I am usually short on time, so I like to have guns in a cheaper caliber that I can stock ammo for over the counter. I reload my .357s, 10MMs, .45ACPs
    and .44 mags but don't bother with .40 cal anymore. .40 cal brass is weak anyhow. It is convenient and more practical for me to just buy it loaded.

I am not trying to discourage you from a G29, it is a great, fun and capable gun but thought I'd share the route I already took in case it could help with your decision. My 10MM action is soley for my Delta Gold Cup these days, I just like shooting it more than I did my 10MM Glocks.

Thanks again for the input everyone,

Well my local GS will sell me a NIB G29 w/factory night sights for $635 OTD (we have 7%ST). Seems like a decent deal. What are the factory night sights on the G29? How are they and what do they compare to? I was thinking about going with the low end model and adding my own night sights (mepro?). I'm awaiting a quote on the non steel, non night sight G29. Topglock looks like my best quote so far but after shipping and FFL fee, I'm not that far off of getting it local so I think I'll stick to supporting my local guy for a few extra bucks. He gave me a great deal earlier on a PM9 so I'm feeling loyal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links