Safety (long)

Safety (long)

This is a discussion on Safety (long) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been toying with the of getting a new firearn with the $600 rebate check most of us will be receiving this spring. I ...

Thread: Safety (long)

Safety (long)

I have been toying with the of getting a new firearn with the $600 rebate check most of us will be receiving this spring. I live in Massachusetts and there are not a great deal of options for us here. In all of my research these past months I have noticed that there are not a lot of manufactures using an external thumb safety anymore.
    In my area the best choices for a compact ccw are the S&W M&Pc, and the Walther P99c. Neither of which has an external safety. The M&P has a 10lb trigger pull as per state regulations stating that a gun without the external safety must have at least 10lbs of pull. I know the full sise .45 is available with the safety but I contacted S&W to see if they will be putting it on the compacts in the future and they said they did not have any plans to at this time.
    I know that my brain is the best safety and having an external safety does not mean you can ignore the rules of firearms safety. I just get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see that safety engaged with my own eyes. Maybe I am just old fashioned at 29 years old and need to get with the times. It just seems like I have been trying to talk myself into liking the whole idea of not having it. At the moment I am thinking af just getting crimsom trace laser grips for my PPK/S instead.
    So after this long rant my question to you is have you noticed this trend and what are your thoughts about it?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    A manual safety can be good and bad. It may help prevent an ND, but under stress, it's just another lever you have to operate. The best safety is the one between your ears. I'm perfectly comfortable with most modern day guns without manual safeties.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Thankfully my state ( PA ) has NO Laws that tell Gun Mfgs. how to make a
    "safe" gun.

IMHO , if a firearm is designed to be safe without a manual safety lever ,
    putting one on it anyway is about as useful as a DIAL on a cellphone.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    I personally prefer a decocker model, both of my carry guns are equiped that way. That sais CZ makes full size, compact and sub compact models with thumb safties. Unfortunately I don't think CZ's are sold in the Peoples Republic of MASS.

H&k compact usp safety, decocker,smooth heavy pull ( I did a trigger job to lighten mine up)but its a little heavy from the factory.
    v1 can be carried cocked and locked like the 1911.
    It will go bang everytime.
    Just practice draw a few times a day, now I sweep the safety on the draw without thinking about it.And the mags don't fall out. lol

GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

that hk is nice..... but unfortunately our AG in Mass doesnt find them safe enough for us subjects.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The XD is coming out with a 1911 style safety
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

The M&Ps (9 & 40) are coming out with thumb safeties, too. I think I read this on the M&P forum.

MP-Pistol.com :: View topic - THUMB SAFETY ON M&P 9

Cloudpeak

i personally like to have an external safety.
    i dont think its necessary, i would get a gun without one, but i generally like 1911s, or other SA type guns, where its needed.
    there are guns out there with external safeties besides the 1911s, but that is why i got into them in the first place, there really arnt that many out there any more, at least not many in a small frame.
    i spent forever looking for a thin 3" gun with an external safety and found that once u get under the 4" mark, there are very few of them out there.
    so i got the kimber aegis. and im soo glad i did
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Ever seen an external safety on a revolver?

My M&P has yet to go off unless I pull the trigger. You should take the time to field strip one and see the mechanics involved. You'll understand that the ONLY way it's going to fire (short of the pin block and sear failing simultaneously) is for the trigger to be pulled.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

I love my Sig239. I bought it in MA, but now that I'm in NH, I'll probably buy a second one that isn't butchered. I have to admit though unless someone tells me it affects the way it fires... I like the empty chamber indicator. I can tell if it's loaded without having to rack the slide and unchamber the round I want in there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MnemonicMonkey View Post
    Ever seen an external safety on a revolver?

My M&P has yet to go off unless I pull the trigger. You should take the time to field strip one and see the mechanics involved. You'll understand that the ONLY way it's going to fire (short of the pin block and sear failing simultaneously) is for the trigger to be pulled.
    Well...yes, the old (and recently re-introduced) model 40 centennial Smith & Wesson Model 40 Centennial Revolver
    does have an external grip safety. I do see your point but don't forget that most revolvers have a heavier, longer pull than most pistols.

Maybe I will go to the shop and handle them in person. Maybe I can be convinced. Knowing me I will not come home empty handed. Thanks to all who replied.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I like an external safety.You have to go with what you feel confident with.

Sponsored Links