AMT Backup .380

This is a discussion on AMT Backup .380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for some great replies, however I was hoping to get some more feedback on the safety issues of the single action only model. I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMT Backup .380

Thanks for some great replies, however I was hoping to get some more feedback on the safety issues of the single action only model. I certainly don't want to carry a weapon that is going to discharge in my pocket.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Put it in the safe (it will make a great--remember dad thing) and buy your self a P-3at and go about your business.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I've had a couple of these guns, one being a OMC/TDE gun (1976ish) and from your pics, I can see MOST of your problem is due to PLASTIC Magazine followers.
    I've always found those (the plasic followers) to be of very inferior design. I would mention that you should look for the STEEL follower type AMT mags and then try shooting the gun. I think you'll find your FTF FTE Stovepipe problems will disapear.. (also in a G&A mag, many years ago) I found an artical mentioing to grind down about .060 from the legs of the follower, thus making the gun a 6+1 shooter instead of the 5+1 shooter. ( I know cuz I've done this to several mags from the backups I've owned.. I wouldn't suggest one in the pipe, cuz of the possibility of a AD when dropped. Hope this info helps out.
    PS.If you want to sell the gun, send me a PM, and we'll set up something.. That's how positive I am about these guns
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Administrator
    Great informative and useful addition by CLASS3NH - Thanks pal.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Great informative and useful addition by CLASS3NH - Thanks pal.
    Any Time Sir Heyyyy I hope all is going well for you
    You know I've had just about everything out there LOL......the good, bad and darn ugly.. I'm sure it's the mag follwers
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I had one many years ago and it functioned fine with hardball as long as I kept it cleaned and lubed. That being said, there are plenty of .380 pocket guns out there that I would trust before an AMT.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Class3NH,

If you or anyone else are interested in the .22 AMT I have send me a PM. Tried the good mags,
    greased the rails with Mil-tec 1 grease and cycled the action about a thousand times and the thing will not feed.

VR,

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    I've had a couple of these guns, one being a OMC/TDE gun (1976ish) and from your pics, I can see MOST of your problem is due to PLASTIC Magazine followers.
    I've always found those (the plasic followers) to be of very inferior design. I would mention that you should look for the STEEL follower type AMT mags and then try shooting the gun. I think you'll find your FTF FTE Stovepipe problems will disapear.. (also in a G&A mag, many years ago) I found an artical mentioing to grind down about .060 from the legs of the follower, thus making the gun a 6+1 shooter instead of the 5+1 shooter. ( I know cuz I've done this to several mags from the backups I've owned.. I wouldn't suggest one in the pipe, cuz of the possibility of a AD when dropped. Hope this info helps out.
    PS.If you want to sell the gun, send me a PM, and we'll set up something.. That's how positive I am about these guns
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Mine

Have the same model and year. Recently experienced a broken extractor, total 200+ rounds total. Probably sell it as a part gun for $60.
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

I must be one of the lucky ones. I have an AMT 380 SAO that I have onwed for about 15 years. It has always been very reliable with all types of ammo. I removed the finger extension on the mag, and installed stainless grip screws. Overall it has been a great little gun.

Funny, I can find as many complaints about kel tecs, "had to send it back, but it is fine now" , "shoots great, but drops the magazine", etc... Keep in mind these pocket guns tend to be more problematic. Give the gun a good once over and then shoot it... you will know if its reliable or not. FTF sounds like you may already have indications. I got mine for $100 out the door and it looked new, it is of the OMC variety, but for the last 2.5 years it gets a couple of mags a week through it at the range and no issues... as in NONE!. I did a complete tear down on it and polished and deburred the internals, ceramacoated the frame and slide (left the flats to shine). I lube it with T9 and have no issues. It is heavy, but it works and is my better than nothing gun. I will most likely replace with the new ruger, due to weight, but I have been very happy with mine. One note, I do not shoot the low recoil Federal home defence rounds. The top extractor sets the brass about center of the forehead with the lower recoil rounds. It generally leaves a nice half moon shape the slowly drips blood... go with the heavy BALL ammo and it works fine.

If your not packin' your slackin'

Its better to have and not need than to need and not have, keep it safe but keep it loaded!

USN : Desert Storm

I carried a SAO version in a pocket holster or a sewn in pistol pocket for several years. This included BUG qualification 2x/year and running 3 or 4 mags through it every few weeks. One of my mags didn't like anything except ball, but otherwise Hydra-shoks were the order of the day. Never had any other problems with it.

I never worried about the safety. I don't recall ever finding that the manual safety had turned itself off, and with the grip safety I was never really concerned with it.

YMMV
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links