Defensive Carry banner

Need a new CCW gun...

3K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  PAPACHUCK 
#1 ·
Of all the semi handguns I own, I don't have one that is a mid-sized. They are all either sub-compacts or full sized. I want a 4" 9mm for carry and have a Sig P229 in mind. What do ya'll think of my choice. I got a chance to shoot a 229 in .40 and I really shot it well. Other than my G22(which is for sale to fund new gun), I don't have any other pistols chambered in .40, so I want a 9mm to go with my other 9mm's.

What are the pros and cons of this choice? I've heard nothing good about the Sigs.

#4 ·
Sig P229 in 9mm for carry

I've owned a P229 in .40 for about 8 years and have a high opinion of the gun, so I don't think you can go wrong buying one in 9mm. I happen to be wearing mine today as I work around the house on a holiday. But you asked for pros and cons.

On the pro side, besides the obvious reliability and accuracy of the P229, there is the fact that the weight of the gun (32 ounces empty) will tend to keep it on target without much muzzle jump when firing 9mm ammo, allowing you to fire multiple aimed shots very quickly compared to lighter guns that jump around more in recoil.

On the con side, the P229 is a fairly thick gun in the slide area, and does not conceal quite as easily as some thinner guns like 1911s and Kahrs. If you are wearing it inside your waistband, you need a little more room in your trousers.

#5 ·
As defined by your mid-size category I have experience with both the Sig P228 and XD service 9mm. With the right IWB holster both will work for carry and Pogo's words of wisdom above on the Sig are right on the money. As long as you are looking, I would urge you to check out the HK P30. I had the opportunity to handle one last week. 15 rounds, 1.66 lbs in a very ergonomic package. Pricey but check it out.

#6 · (Edited)
My vote goes for the SIG . Though it is not one of my present carry guns I've put over 3K rounds through a 228 shooting IPSC without a bobble. Daughter also carried one as a detective and loved it till her department swapped out to Glocks in .357 SIG's. Her scores and most of her fellow officers scores went down dramatically with the SIG's. So much so that they are looking seriously at going back to 9mm's. Less recoil and muzzzle blast all are conducive to not jerking the trigger and hitting what you are aiming at. Pretty important when the difference between a miss and a stopping shot are vital to ones life. As Pogo2 stated above like all double stackers it's harder to conceal due to it's wider grip.

#7 ·
I'd suggest a Kahr T-9 (handsome rascal with wooden grips) or a TP-9. (Same gun with a polymer frame.) I suggest these because they seem to fit your criteria well.

First, if you look at the specs, they are physically smaller than the Sig, yet they have the 4 inch barrel you want. (In fact, they are smaller than a Sig 239) Second, they are lighter, especially the TP-9. With a width of .9 inch, they are easier to conceal. They should cost less than a Sig. And finally, they are made in America. All other things being equal, I would always rather provide work for Americans and keep the American arms industry healthy.

#9 ·
I looked at the Kahrs, but their grips are too narrow, and although they have a good following, I'm just not impressed with Kahrs in general.

I like the fat grip on the Sig P229 much more than the P239. I can conceal any of my large frame pistols, so the size and weight isn't that much of an issue. How the pistol feels is what I look for, and how well can I shoot it.

If were to not go with Sig, I'd probably go with a XD9 instead, for I really shoot my XD45 well, but, oooohh that Sig is sweet.:yup:

Please someone talk me out of spending that much money!:blink:
(Nooooo.........not really!)

#8 ·
I'm on a serious mission to get my G19. Likely happen this week--just finding the best price. I was willing to go used in my price range, but it will likely be a new one now as they are only about $60 more than used ones go for in my area. Hi cap with regular sights. I'll add the night sites later.

#13 ·
I love Sigs, they are great looking and reliable guns without a doubt. I had a 239 and it shot well. But they are just too big to CC in my opinion. They are great for the cops to carry, but if you want to hide it....good luck!!!!

#22 ·
I'm selling my Glock to help buy the Sig, primarily 'cause I just don't shoot Glocks very well. I own the G22, a close friend has a G17 that I've shot, and my son has the G19 and the G23 which I've shot a lot, and I spent some time with a co-workers G32. I guess I'm just not a Glock kinda guy.

I'm not concerned about slide width nor the weight of a P229, for I CCW my full-size guns often(XD45Tac & Ber 92FS)

I have shot the H&K products, not impressed enough to justify the price tag.

I have considered the XD9 4", but I really lilke the way the Sig feels in my hand and I shot a .40 cal P229 really well, so I'm thinking I should do well with a 9mm P229 also.

Also wondering what ya'll think of the Sig factory night sights. Are they worth the extra $? My G22 is the only handgun I own with NS, and I like having them on my bedside gun.

#19 ·
g19 will most likely fit your g22 holsters...bonus. I agree with sixto. You won't go wrong with the sig, but for the money....i would look at the HK USPC and p2000. also. Just to give you some options.

#20 ·
+1 For the HK USPc!

I carry one in .45. I favor it over the other choices mentioned because it has an external safety and can be carried cocked and locked! It is an extremely accurate, well engineered, and rugged pistol!! With a good IWB holster it can be concealed quite nicely too.

#21 ·
An excellent choice would be a good used S&W 3913 (DA/SA) or 3953 (DAO). These are underappreciated excellent firearms. I love my 3953.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.