Help me with compact 45's.

This is a discussion on Help me with compact 45's. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I swore I'd never make a post somewhere asking what gun to get, but I've fallen in love with a couple. I decided I'd like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I swore I'd never make a post somewhere asking what gun to get, but I've fallen in love with a couple.

I decided I'd like a compact 45 (For a whole host of reasons I won't go into), and while looking around I've come up with three that I absolutely love. I know the right choice is to just buy all three but that's not an option right now. It's only going to be able to be one for awhile.

First one is a Sig P245. I've never been a huge Sig guy nor a DA/SA fan, but a range near me had one of these for sale that they let me run a box of ammo through. I made a perfect ragged hole with it without even trying, and it absorbed the recoil better than my government model 1911. The only thing is that with a thumbs forward grip I knocked the slide release a few times. I could just change grips and correct that though. The other thing is it's a clunkier and heavier than the other two on the list, it doesn't have a very good size to firepower ratio.

Second is the Kahr P45. This one really surprised me, as I dislike the other Kahr pistols. It has a super thin grip which fits my small hands perfectly. The DAO trigger was very smooth and light, but a bit long. I've heard mixed things on the reliability of Kahrs, so I'm a bit wary on that account.

Last is a Kimber Ultra II. I'm a 1911 fan, but have no real experience with 3" models, only the commander and government ones. I'm also very unsure of having a manual safety on a carry gun, as none of the guns I've ever carried have had one. Cocked and locked doesn't scare me, but after training myself to just point and shoot with revolvers and Glocks I don't know I'd want to have a safety to worry about.

Sorry for going on so long. I really did like these three the most of all the ones I've looked at, but just can't for the life of me decide. I keep waking up and saying "That's it! I'm going to go buy _____ today." Then by the afternoon it's one of the others.

Anyone have any input to help my indecisiveness?

if you don't want a safety to worry about, look at the Springfield XD compact. I carry it daily and love it. Don't have much experience with the other handguns you listed, but they are all on my wish list.
    Good luck to ya

I can only speak to the Kimber, as I have that model myself.

Im relatively new to the 1911 scene, most of my experience is in the plastic pistol area. My Kimber is right now at Kimber getting a new slide. It was given to me by my wife for Xmas, but what I can tell you is that its ridiculously accurate. It really doesn't take long to get used to the thumb safety, and the other features you don't even think about. The only negative, and to me its slight, is the recoil is somewhat sharper then say, my XD45.

For a lower cost alternative you may want to consider a Taurus PT145PRO (3rd gen). I have one that has digested about 7-800 rounds without a hiccup, and should fit your small hands well. It is probably the smallest 10+1 .45 available.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Oh Yeah...a Kimber Ultra...I have one for my EDC...never a problem...accutate out of the box...great for concealment...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Have you looked at the new Sig P250? It comes in 45ACP and can be made to fit ANY HAND. It is DAO, I dry fired one at the Shot Show in Feb. It is very smooth. And the plus about the P250 is it can be user changed to 9mm,
    40 S&W, 357 sig and 45ACP all on the same frame.

If I had know about the P250 before I bought my P220 Carry DAK, I would have purchased the P250 in the compact model.

Check out the Sig website, SIG SAUER Home I think you might like it.

Good luck with your choice.

Kahr P45

Just based on reading your own comments on the three pistols, I think you should get the Kahr P45. You said that you liked the trigger, and that the grip fit your hand well. You criticized the Sig P245 as being too large and clunky, and the Kimber Ultra as requiring you to learn cocked and locked after training on Glocks and revolvers, which are point and shoot.

The Kahr is point and shoot, and will conceal more easily than the others because of size and weight. You mentioned reliability - most Kahrs work out of the box, and if one doesn't work, the company is very responsive in fixing it quickly. So by a process of elimination I arrive at the Kahr P45.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I love my Kimbers, I have the 3" Ultra and 3" Aegis Ultra. both 14 Mo's old, with about 1500 rnds through the Ultra Carry II
    I went to the range on Saturday and after 100rnds the slide on my Ultra went floppy loose, after dissassembly this is what I found.

The recoil spring assembly had broke and a piece lodged inside of the Housing jamming it up.

After a call to Kimber I only had a one year guarantee, they will do nothing but sell me a new part, Hummh I may just trade to a brand that offers lifetime warrantee to the original purchaser.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    I have both a Kimber Ultra and a Kahr. My Kahr is the CW9. Both guns required about 200 rounds to get broken-in. Since that time they have been ultra reliable. Even during the break-in period I only had a few FTF's and it was in the first 50 rounds. The Kahr is much easier to carry, especially down here in the Texas heat.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

PHM
    Quote Originally Posted by Griz View Post
    I love my Kimbers, I have the 3" Ultra and 3" Aegis Ultra. both 14 Mo's old, with about 1500 rnds through the Ultra Carry II
    I went to the range on Saturday and after 100rnds the slide on my Ultra went floppy loose, after dissassembly this is what I found.

The recoil spring assembly had broke and a piece lodged inside of the Housing jamming it up.

After a call to Kimber I only had a one year guarantee, they will do nothing but sell me a new part, Hummh I may just trade to a brand that offers lifetime warrantee to the original purchaser.

Check with the dealer that sold you the gun, the dealer I deal with locally in So. Cal give a life time warranty on all of thier guns regardless of manufaturers warranty.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    What about a Glock G36?

PHM
    Have you looked at the HK USP Compact? Very accurate gun and virtually indestructible. The Kimber Ultra Carry II is nice, I just bought one and have not shot it yet, but if you are not use to the 1911 design, I suggest getting use to it first, I have been around 1911 models for a long time and I personally like them and prefer the safety mechanism, it just becomes 2nd nature once you get use to it. It gun being cocked is no big deal, not different than a glock or revolver if you ask me, just the phsycological aspect of having the hammer cocked scares some people, but the trigger pull is the same as any other gun with 4 to 5 lbs of pull, so you have to want to shoot it or its not going to go off on accident.

I have a Kahr TP45...thats a gun I have never had problems with.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I own three Kahrs and all three are 100% reliable. I also own a Glock 36 which I have tricked out. Also 100% reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by PHM View Post
    Have you looked at the HK USP Compact? Very accurate gun and virtually indestructible. The Kimber Ultra Carry II is nice, I just bought one and have not shot it yet, but if you are not use to the 1911 design, I suggest getting use to it first, I have been around 1911 models for a long time and I personally like them and prefer the safety mechanism, it just becomes 2nd nature once you get use to it. It gun being cocked is no big deal, not different than a glock or revolver if you ask me, just the phsycological aspect of having the hammer cocked scares some people, but the trigger pull is the same as any other gun with 4 to 5 lbs of pull, so you have to want to shoot it or its not going to go off on accident.
    I'm used to shooting 1911's, so cocked and locked doesn't frighten me. It's just I'm also used to practicing my defensive shooting without monkeying with a safety when drawing. I'm sure it's not a big thing to learn, but I'm more comfortable sticking with the way I've always done it.

Anyways, I believe Pogo nailed it. I picked up a Kahr P45 today for $599.95 NIB. I'll try and post a report on it when I get the chance to shoot it, which will likely be this weekend.

Thanks for all the advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links