Used S&W 686

This is a discussion on Used S&W 686 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about buying a 4" 686. I'm wondering what a reasonable price for it would be. I've been out of the revolver loop ...

Thread: Used S&W 686

Used S&W 686

I am thinking about buying a 4" 686. I'm wondering what a reasonable price for it would be. I've been out of the revolver loop for a while so I don't know what they are going for. The one I am looking at is in great condition. It is several years old, probably 10 years or so, but I'd rather have an older one.
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    $4ish-450 at the high end... Maybe as high as 5 if its NIB perfect.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    +1.....the 586 (discontinued blue brother to the 686 is in the high $200's - $340. The 686 should go for less than $400.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    400.00 to 500.00. Have a nickel 4" 586 that I paid 325.00 for bout 2 years ago that is not only a beaut but accurate as all get out. The 586's are blued or nickeled, not stainless, but they can be had for a lower price. Great gun IMO and it's a keeper!!!!
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; February 19th, 2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: mistake
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I want one too and feel that $400 would be a decent price. If I found one for cheaper, I'd be very happy.

If it's as old as you say, it doesn't have the lock. If its got the firing pin on the hammer it doesn't have any MIM (if I recall correctly). If doesn't have a lock or any MIM I'd snatch it up in a minute. Those guns seem to be going for a premium.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I bought a 7 shot 686-5 for $500 a couple of months ago, and I was comfortable with that price. It's the only 7 shot model from the factory with no lock, but it is also the first generation with any MIM. It's held up beautifully so far.

Links