Colt Gold Cup Trophy

Colt Gold Cup Trophy

This is a discussion on Colt Gold Cup Trophy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been considering getting a 1911 for awhile. A friend ran into Colt Gold Cut Trophy. He's going to set up a time we can ...

Thread: Colt Gold Cup Trophy

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue

Colt Gold Cup Trophy

I've been considering getting a 1911 for awhile. A friend ran into Colt Gold Cut Trophy. He's going to set up a time we can look at it in the next few days. I'm definitely interested in the pistol. I think he wants $600 for it. I don't know the condition or much about except that it has some work done on the trigger.

Looking for information to help me make a decision when I go to look at it. What are some things to ask, look for, and think about before I slap down my money. I'm not planning on using it as an everyday carry gun. More of a "BBQ" and shooting pistol.

Looking forward to the infinite wisdom of everyone. Thanks for you time and thoughts in your posts.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Best friend has one. Definitely a nice gun. Probably worth it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have Delta Gold Cup (10mm) that I love. It is the most accurate 1911 I own, even over my totally worked Series 80 Government model with a Kart barrel. Sounds like a good deal to me but I'm sure those with more specific info pertaining to the .45ACP will chime in.

Ask if your friend still has the original parts if any were changed out during the trigger work. I had a light-weight trigger installed on mine and I kept the original trigger in case I was ever to sell the gun. Some people would want the original parts if they were to buy the gun. Some people that collect won't buy a modified gun since it can change the value of a firearm. A lot of us could care less about that and might even appreciate certain modifications.

Find out how many pounds the trigger pull is presently.

More of a "BBQ" and shooting pistol.
    If you find yourself having to shoot your supper, then you can't go wrong. For six bills, I'd do it as it's probably worth more than that! (your friend isn't here on the forums is he?) Good luck, and take some pics when you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    If you find yourself having to shoot your supper, then you can't go wrong. For six bills, I'd do it as it's probably worth more than that! (your friend isn't here on the forums is he?) Good luck, and take some pics when you get it.
    Depending on condition and the work that was done, it's likely worth considerably more than $600.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    Depending on condition and the work that was done, it's likely worth considerably more than $600.
    Exactly, for $600, take it.

Sight unseen for $600 I would.... if you don't I want his phone number...

Well I'm definitely leaning towards buying it. I was before and am about to fall in love sight unseen. What's even better I got a travel reimbursement check in the mail today that almost pays for it, Friday is payday, and with my new reloading setup I'll be saving money and can shoot it regularly.

Any mechanical type things to watch out or look for that should put a kabosh on it? Or I can use to lower the price a few bucks. This is a pistol that I might consider customizing down the road.
    Pitmaster

If it is in good working order, it sounds like a good deal. I just picked up a series 70 a few months ago from a co-worker. It was in great shape (besides the smell of an old man's closet) and I paid 500 for it. I haven't regretted it for one second. I shoot better with this gun than any I have used before.

Do all of the normal checks for a 1911. There is a sticky at the top of the forum.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

Condition is everything

I've owned about 10 Colt Gold Cups, and still have 5 of them. The Trophy model is the latest and currently produced version. Preceding it were Series 80, Series 70, and pre-Series 70. A new Gold Cup Trophy currently sells for about $1000, I believe.

The $600 price for a used Trophy looks low, of course. But I would want to look closely at the gun to estimate how much it has been used, and whether it has had parts changed out and gunsmithing done to it. Some Gold Cups have been shot and gunsmithed a great deal, and may not be worth $600. So condition is everything, and you should look at it hard before buying it.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

There's actually a pretty decent thread on m1911.org. If you want to do a detailed inspection of it before purchase.

Not sure if you have to be a member or not. Here it is:

The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - How to Buy a 1911 and not get Burned
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

I have a couple of the series 70 Gold Cups. Bought them both new in the early 70's and they have been great pistols. Mine came with soft recoil springs, set up for 185 gr. semi-wad target ammo. You might want to buy a standard spring. The pin holding the sight on is a roll pin and they used to be infamous for sheering off with use. I'd replace that with a solid pin.

You've been offered a great gun at a great price. Take it and be grateful. It won't need any customizing.

1943 - 2009
    To follow up on BlackPR's post, by all means, perform a safety/function check on this Colt before you buy it.

Here's the illustrated step by step procedure:

http://www.coolgunsite.com/funcheck/function.htm

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Thanks for all the links and info. As far as I'm concerned if it passes the safety/function checks its mine and I have the cash in hand. I'll know tomorrow if it is still available. Pictures will be forthcoming. I'll have to scrounge up a holster sometime soon. I'll probably go for another IWB/OW Scabbard from Black Hills Leather.. I have one for my Walther P99 and its a great holster.

Pitmaster

I stopped by the gun shop yesterday and they happened to have a new Colt Gold Cup. What a nice gun. I'm hoping I learn this afternoon if the used one is still available. If it is its mine. If not, well I still have money for the next gun deal.
    Pitmaster

Sponsored Links