XD owners--have you read this thread?

This is a discussion on XD owners--have you read this thread? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...lock-21-a.html Be sure to read it all the way through . Hope Springfield has an 800 number so you all can ask your own questions. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XD owners--have you read this thread?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...lock-21-a.html

Be sure to read it all the way through. Hope Springfield has an 800 number so you all can ask your own questions. I think it deserves a bit more publicity especially if you're considering this for a carry pistol. P.S. Don't shoot the messenger.

Wow 750 round break in? Thats crazy, I don't have one and don't plan on it now. Glad this was posted!

Good read. I carry a XD 45 compact. I never heard anything like this from anyone else who has a XD or on the XD talk forum. I have around 1500 rounds through mine and not one problem. When I go to the range I have shot a lot of 230 +p Hornady TAP (my carry load) other JHP, reloads, FMJ never a issue.

The only reason I choose an XD over the glock is it fit my hand better, and I liked being able to have a service model and complact model in one handgun. I guess the price and waranty also helped out.

Seems like maybe a isolated issue. Anyways if I have any problems I will let you all know. Thanks for the look out.

was the gun in the pervious post used or a 1st gen?

interesting. I do have an XD 45 and i've run around 400 through it. No problems and most have been jhp, ok powerballs, so thats not really jhp.

I just spoke with John at Springfield (in Customer Service).

He recommended 500 rounds before carry, primarily so that you can be sure no issues are present. He advised me to send in my gun if it had issues as it approached 500 rounds.

I have a few thousand round through mine, many of which are +P JHP. Mine has been a flawless performer. I suspect the other thread's OP bought a lemon and didn't want to get it fixed (it happens).
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I just spoke with John at Springfield (in Customer Service).

He recommended 500 rounds before carry, primarily so that you can be sure no issues are present. He advised me to send in my gun if it had issues as it approached 500 rounds.

I have a few thousand round through mine, many of which are +P JHP. Mine has been a flawless performer. I suspect the other thread's OP bought a lemon and didn't want to get it fixed (it happens).
    More than likely . Any gun designer can and do produce lemons. (even Glock).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I do not believe 99% of what is hearsay on the internet. I would have to see the prohibiton of JHP in writing from springfield. I think it is BS. I don't have a problem with a break in as shooting the gun is fun. Heck 500 rounds is only 10 boxes. My xd compact has been perfect accurate and no ftf.

M2
    Glock propaganda...there are thousands of XD45s out there and this is an extremely rare event indeed. I think it is to counter all the sales lost and the kaBOOM reputation that Glocks have. I don't believe a word of it.

Cheers! M2

Im sure there are some lemons out there, same with glocks and other makers. This must be one example. Just becasue one is a lemon dosn't mean everyone else with a XD is going to have issues. Glad I hear more guys with XD's without a issue. Im a member @ XDtalk and never hear too many problems.

Well I just called SpringField and talked to customer services and he told me Brake-in is 300-500 rounds of ball, after that shoot what you want including lead.
    I also asked him if that went for my XD40SC and he said she, the brake-in goes for all the XD's.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo93 View Post
    I do not believe 99% of what is hearsay on the internet. I would have to see the prohibiton of JHP in writing from springfield. I think it is BS. I don't have a problem with a break in as shooting the gun is fun. Heck 500 rounds is only 10 boxes. My xd compact has been perfect accurate and no ftf.
    Im with you 100% on that one
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

I appreciate all of you so far not drawing blood. I think we owe it to one another to keep all of us up-to-date. I take the OP's post as the truth on the matter, and no matter what our favorite brand name pistol, we're all one family like it or not. I'd never be a purveyor of propaganda, and I know the internet for what it is. This post was made because I care for you all as my internet family and we all have the same principles. I'd like to know I could expect the same from you all in the case that the manufacturer of one of my pistols might be questionable as to reliability or function because I carry them all. We're here for that purpose, and if we have just the casual plinking pistols then there would be other forums specifically for those types of firearms. To me this is no game.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I appreciate all of you so far not drawing blood. I think we owe it to one another to keep all of us up-to-date. I take the OP's post as the truth on the matter, and no matter what our favorite brand name pistol, we're all one family like it or not. I'd never be a purveyor of propaganda, and I know the internet for what it is. This post was made because I care for you all as my internet family and we all have the same principles. I'd like to know I could expect the same from you all in the case that the manufacturer of one of my pistols might be questionable as to reliability or function because I carry them all. We're here for that purpose, and if we have just the casual plinking pistols then there would be other forums specifically for those types of firearms. To me this is no game.

Good deal bro, tI think we all know this could happen to any firearm whether it be Springfield, Glock, or Ruger. I feel as long as you take care of your gun it will serve it's purpose.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

I talked to Vicki at Springfield Armory today. (1-800-680-6866)

Break-in period for an XD pistol is 250-500 rounds.
    Any ammo, ball or JHP is fine. Reloads are not recommended, same as any other pistol. (Liability purposes)

Vicki didn't sound like a gun person, sounded like she was reading from an info sheet or computer screen. Probably the same case with the rep who recommended a 750 round break in and no JHP's in an XD. He was probably reading off the spec sheet for a Springer 1911, as we all know that 1911's require 10,000 round break-in periods and perfectly formed ball ammo to function properly.

Seriously, you'll not find many people who have issues with JHP ammo or break-in with either Glocks or XD's. They are both wonderful pistols. The XD feels better and points more naturally for me, so that is what I choose. I do wish it was as light as a G30, but that's the only issue I have with mine. It's been flawless with several hundred rounds, and many JHP's.

The Indiana State Police had Glock 22's, and were having so many problems with them that they sent them all back and now carry Glock 19's.

In 2005, LAPD ordered all Glock 21's out of service after experiencing several light primer strike failures during training and qualifications.

If you take everything you read on the internet as gospel, try doing a google search for Glock kaboom. You'll conclude that the .40 caliber Glocks are ticking time bombs. Nevermind that hundreds of police departments use Glock 22's and 23's without issue. Including my own PD. We've never had a problem. In fact, the running joke is that the Glock malfunction drill is to stare blankly at the pistol when it doesn't fire. That's how uncommon problems are!

The point is, you can find failures with any model of pistol. The idea that an XD requires 750 rounds to break in and cannot use JHP ammo is utterly ridiculous.

Much ado about nothing.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    Good read. I carry a XD 45 compact. I never heard anything like this from anyone else who has a XD or on the XD talk forum. I have around 1500 rounds through mine and not one problem. When I go to the range I have shot a lot of 230 +p Hornady TAP (my carry load) other JHP, reloads, FMJ never a issue.

The only reason I choose an XD over the glock is it fit my hand better, and I liked being able to have a service model and complact model in one handgun. I guess the price and waranty also helped out.

Seems like maybe a isolated issue. Anyways if I have any problems I will let you all know. Thanks for the look out.
    Same here!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links