Caught the bug...

This is a discussion on Caught the bug... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I joined Defensive Carry and a few other sites a little over a year ago, after getting back into firearms from a few years absence. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caught the bug...

Caught the bug...

I joined Defensive Carry and a few other sites a little over a year ago, after getting back into firearms from a few years absence.

I have read some great posts, received wonderful advice and enjoyed the time here...

I have always been curious, when reading through the various posts, about the seemingly cult like obsession over JMB and the 1911 platform. I recently acquired a 9mm S&W Sigma that I do not care for. Despite feeling good in the store and having a good $$ tag (always a plus on a college budget), when I got to the range it was a let down. Now, going into that purchase I knew what I was getting into from some of the threads here and elsewhere. Still it wasn't all that bad-I just prefer wood and steel to Tupperware (sorry, Glock fans).

I've been doing my research, looking at something to trade up to, with the Sigma as fodder, for a new CCW handgun. I went to the range today and started looking over the 1911's in the rental case. My eyes fell on Springfield 1911-A1, lying next to the compact version. I told the clerk I would like to rent the Springfield...."The Big One?"..."Yup"....A box of 230 grain, .45 cal FMJ and I was on my way to an afternoon of fun.

My last attempt at a big bore handgun was a snub nose .357 (this may not count for some) and after that experience I decided to stick with my .38 and 9mm. I loaded the magazine, inserted and racked the slide back....lined the sights up, squeezed the trigger and fell in love....

For those who have never shot a 1911, it is hard to describe, but is a joy to shoot. The only downer on the day was that nearly every round seemed to stove pipe. I have read quite a lot here on the issues with the 1911, shrugged it off and spent the rest of the time loading 7, and getting a lot of practice in 1911 malfunction clearance. Its hard to find a gun that could be such a PITA and yet so much fun to shoot.

Despite all the issues, which I chalked up to being a rental gun in need of some loving tuning, I know what my next handgun purchase will be.
    "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -- George Orwell

Ron Paul 2008!

2. Remove Ads

Congratulations! "catching the bug" isn't always a bad thing. Good luck with all!

woh, stove piping every round? that shouldnt be right.
    maybe limp wristing? that or the gun needs a few replacement parts.
    defiantly NOT an ok thing though, and not just a common 1911 problem
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Lead Moderator
    Congrats. My SA Champion is my summer EDC.
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I figured it was more the rental gun than anything else. The guy at the range said it was one of their more finicky ones...

Limp wristing I have never really had an issue with....

I still had a blast with it...
    "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -- George Orwell

Ron Paul 2008!

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    My EDC is a 4" Kimber 1911. My nightstand gun is a 5" Les Baer 1911. Both have been flawless, but you have to take a little extra care with the 1911 platform. Field strip and clean after every range session and a detail strip every couple of months and they are very reliable. Currently looking for my third 1911. I got the bug too.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

I took my Springfield Parkerized "Loaded" Model to the range today to start breaking it in.

The only "jams" I had were magazine induced. I was shooting 230 Grain 'ball ammo and Corbon 185 Grain +P DPX. The DPX rounds, all 100 of them ran perfectly. The 200 Grain Corbon loads didn't.

I've switched out my magazines and the ones that were jamming are in the range box. You're right, the 1911 is a sweet gun. If you want one I would look real hard at the Springfield line.

All in all I put 300 rounds through my gun today. Next week I'll do another 100 of DPX and 200 of 'ball.

Biker

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Welcome to the fold! Have 2 Springers; 1 full size and a Champion. They are both carry guns but I have switched to the Champion full time. As was stated earlier good maintenance, Wilson mags and a good break in is pretty much all it takes to have a great CCW. The only mods I have made to them are Wilson tactical safeties, Wilson LW triggers, Wilson drop in beavertails and hammer. Also had the feed ramps and barrel throats lightly polished. They are both excellent pistols and I highly recommend them.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Looked at the Springfield GI for 530-ish they had at the range

I also want to look at the STI Spartan and the RIA line

I am leaning towards RIA at the moment, but they didn't have one there for me to take a look at

Ron Paul 2008!

Quote Originally Posted by politicalgeek View Post
    I joined Defensive Carry and a few other sites a little over a year ago, after getting back into firearms from a few years absence.

I have read some great posts, received wonderful advice and enjoyed the time here...

I have always been curious, when reading through the various posts, about the seemingly cult like obsession over JMB and the 1911 platform. I recently acquired a 9mm S&W Sigma that I do not care for. Despite feeling good in the store and having a good $$ tag (always a plus on a college budget), when I got to the range it was a let down. Now, going into that purchase I knew what I was getting into from some of the threads here and elsewhere. Still it wasn't all that bad-I just prefer wood and steel to Tupperware (sorry, Glock fans).

I've been doing my research, looking at something to trade up to, with the Sigma as fodder, for a new CCW handgun. I went to the range today and started looking over the 1911's in the rental case. My eyes fell on Springfield 1911-A1, lying next to the compact version. I told the clerk I would like to rent the Springfield...."The Big One?"..."Yup"....A box of 230 grain, .45 cal FMJ and I was on my way to an afternoon of fun.

My last attempt at a big bore handgun was a snub nose .357 (this may not count for some) and after that experience I decided to stick with my .38 and 9mm. I loaded the magazine, inserted and racked the slide back....lined the sights up, squeezed the trigger and fell in love....

For those who have never shot a 1911, it is hard to describe, but is a joy to shoot. The only downer on the day was that nearly every round seemed to stove pipe. I have read quite a lot here on the issues with the 1911, shrugged it off and spent the rest of the time loading 7, and getting a lot of practice in 1911 malfunction clearance. Its hard to find a gun that could be such a PITA and yet so much fun to shoot.

Despite all the issues, which I chalked up to being a rental gun in need of some loving tuning, I know what my next handgun purchase will be.
    I have two Kimbers, but that bug can happen with a Glock too, grab a G-36...soon you'll be buying tupperware, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Trade the sigma in for a Rock Island Armory 1911, prices are around 300-400 and they are great. I have one and wouldn't think twice about it getting another. Great gun, feeds everything. I've shot right around 500 rounds through mine, and it is just beautiful. If you get the bug, you should cure it by purchasing a 1911, there really is no other way around it. plus holsters and accessories for it are limitless.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Thats what I am thinking. Money is tight at the moment.

Ron Paul 2008!

Administrator
    I'd say they need to do a little maintenance on that rental gun that they gave you.
    You'll really get hooked if you shoot a 1911 that is actually in typical great workable condition.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm hooked now, are you kidding?

But yes, it would be much nicer to have one that worked

Ron Paul 2008!

Go to a gunshop and look for a "Used" gun.

Often you can get a better gun for less money that way. When I say better I mean one that has better sights, already broken in and doesn't have any "depreciation" since it's "Used".

As soon as you walk out the door of a gunshop the gun loses some value. Save yourself a dollar and buy used is my suggestion. The money you would put towards a "New" gun will often get you more gun for less money if you buy "Used".

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links