New Kahr Issues

This is a discussion on New Kahr Issues within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will never buy another Kahr. I had the all steel Kahr 9mm. It wasn't reliable after several hundred rounds. As I wanted it for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Kahr Issues

I will never buy another Kahr. I had the all steel Kahr 9mm. It wasn't reliable after several hundred rounds. As I wanted it for CCW I could never trust it. I don't like a gun that needs such an extended break in period. My Glocks are fine right out of the box!

2. Remove Ads

Falsemap, I am curious if or why you have not contacted Kahr about their pistol. If you have, perhaps you could share the results.
    Best wishes.

I have a P9 that now has over 600 rounds through it. I had a few FTE's during the break in period but that was it. Knowing that I wanted this to be my lightweight option for concealed carry I went a step further. I sent the gun off to Cylinder & Slide for one of their custom carry packages. Also had the frame stippled and put on XS fixed 24/7 night sights. Part of the package included a radius and tension of the extractor plus a throat and polish to the barrel feed ramp. I have 100% confidence in this pistol. C&S has different levels of these packages - go to their home page or look on the Kahr site under custom options. Something to consider.

Hi, golfer. Thanks for asking. I ended up selling it so I could buy something else. I probably could have sent it back and worked with Kahr, but to tell the truth, I was angry and disappointed. My expectation for new guns is that they work out of the box (with a reasonable break in period.) I do expect that things can occasionally break on a gun, they are, after all, machines. I would get a broken part fixed, but reliability issues are different in my mind. I fear that many gun owners have low expectations for new guns.

Nightflurry,
    I own and daily carry a Kahr P45. 900+ rounds through it (including break-in) and I trust it to do what it's supposed to do.

Kahrs like to be run wet with grease, not with oil. For this purpose, I use Slide Glide #3. It hasn't failed.

Slide-Glide Gun Grease and Firearm Lubricant
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

Welp. Gave it another 150 rounds. The slide release got so bad that it became very hard to engage, and even when the slide was locked back, if you leave it sit on the table for a few moments it will close itself. .

The ejection problems show no sign of going away. Have tried Magtech, Federal, Winchester, and PMC and all produced multiple failures.

The employees at the range gave me the same "oh you're limpwristing it" mantra I keep hearing. I know that's not the case, and I challenged them to shoot it themselves. The owner came out and got 1 ejection failure in the mag he shot.

The resident gunsmith then came out and put a few magazines through, where he had a host of issues too. He said the slide stop was definitely not working properly at all (duh). And he's pretty sure the ejection problem is a defective ejector. He tried limpwristing it to make it jam, but it didn't malfunction when he limpwristed it.

In any event, it's going back to Kahr. First time I've ever had to send a handgun back in the 10 I've owned. Guess I've got off lucky so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightflurry View Post
    Well, I picked up a Kahr P45 yesterday. Today I took it to the local range with 200 rounds of ammo to give it a break in session as I do with any gun I buy.

The first 50 rounds I experienced no problems other than I was having difficulty with the 2 dot sights. I didn't figure those silly things out till I was almost done shooting. This isn't an issue as I'll swap them out for something more to my liking, and the gun seemed accurate enough. Just the shooter was flustered with a sight setup he despises ;)

The first issue I have with the gun is that the slide release seems very touchy. I can literally just barely touch it and the slide slams forward. Also, the slide closes when a full magazine is inserted, even when very slowly inserted.

After 100 rounds it started to have massive FTE problems. It may be the fact that the gun was getting dirty since it got worse and worse the more I shot. Still, I have to say I was very dismayed with that. One of the range employees said he has one and that it took his 500 rounds to break in and the extraction problems he was having the same as mine went away. 500 seems a bit high just to get functionality. I'll try a few more sessions at 100 rounds a piece with varying ammo types to see if it's not an issue of the gun gunking up or an ammunition it doesn't like.

Any input? Is the feather slide working as designed? Do these guns really need 500 rounds to break in?
    Call tech service. They are really good. I had some problems with the slide on a PM 9. They "tried" to fix it and it didn't work. They then just sent me a complete new slide assembly and barrel.

Little update here.

After no luck at all resolving the slide release and ejection problems the range I bought it from asked if I could leave it there a few days and that they would see if they could figure it out. They seemed to think it was an issue with me.

Well, as I expected nobody there could get through more than a mag without an ejection issue of some sort. And the slide release has gotten so bad that it won't lock back at all most of the time. If you spend about 30 frustrating seconds you can lock it back, but set it down on the table and within another 10 seconds it'll disengage and close itself.

So, the slide got worse and the ejection problems got worse. It's with Kahr right now. Hopefully they can make it work properly, because right now it's a completely useless paperweight. I've heard their CS is great, so I'm expecting they'll get her running right.

If it still has issues when it comes back I'll try and get rid of it and go with something else.

It's pretty frustrating. I've never had a firearm that needed anything other than new springs or mags. This is the first one I've had that just wouldn't work right.

My brother and I had the chance to shoot a friend's new (maybe a couple hundred rounds from new) Kahr 9mm. Neither of us had any issues except... With the loaded magazine laying on the table, it would spontaneously eject the top round! When my brother told me what happened (to him, first), I thought he had either not fully inserted the round into the magazine, or he was just imagining things. So I loaded a magazine, extra careful to not rush and to make sure each round was fully set into the magazine. I then put the magazine down flat on the table. Within 10 seconds, a fresh 9mm round came popping out of the magazine! Guess it was just over-anxious to start shooting!

I can't say this was an issue with the gun because the mag wasn't even IN the gun. This was the only time I'd ever seen anything as odd as that. But the gun ran well, accurate, no FTF or FTEs. Just premature ejection!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    My brother and I had the chance to shoot a friend's new (maybe a couple hundred rounds from new) Kahr 9mm. Neither of us had any issues except... With the loaded magazine laying on the table, it would spontaneously eject the top round! When my brother told me what happened (to him, first), I thought he had either not fully inserted the round into the magazine, or he was just imagining things. So I loaded a magazine, extra careful to not rush and to make sure each round was fully set into the magazine. I then put the magazine down flat on the table. Within 10 seconds, a fresh 9mm round came popping out of the magazine! Guess it was just over-anxious to start shooting!

I can't say this was an issue with the gun because the mag wasn't even IN the gun. This was the only time I'd ever seen anything as odd as that. But the gun ran well, accurate, no FTF or FTEs. Just premature ejection!
    Mine wasn't that bad, but if you held the magazine and tapped on the top round it'd slide forward about 1/2 to 1 centimeter. As the magazines broke in, it stopped. But if you check most Kahrs, when you eject a magazine with rounds still in it (after firing), they will be slightly forward. I used to think this was a function of the slide/feeding mechanism, but now I think it's the magazine popping the round forward.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Also, the slide closes when a full magazine is inserted, even when very slowly inserted.
    You know----that's not always a bad thing. I have several magazines that will let my Glock slides go home when inserted chambering a round. I think it's a good thing personally.

My MK40 has been solid as a rock. Perhaps you need to do a detailed strip and see if there's any gunk buildup, flashing left, or wear on the parts pertaining to the slide release? Is the lever itself or the slide notch worn down, rounded off, in any way?

I hate to read these kinds of reports. Some great , some horrible.

The Kahr design seems to "potentially" be a very good design. I worry that if Kahr doesn't get the quality and consistency issues ironed out soon, they'll go out of business. What good is a $500 - $600 gun that "might " be reliable. JMO.........

PS: About the only way that I think that I would buy a Kahr, is from a friend who swears that this is one of the good ones...... Otherwise, it's a gamble..

Number 1 I don't care for plastic framed guns. I carry a Kahr MK9 each and every day. I have 100% confidence in my Kahr. It runs flawlessly with Gold dot 124gn +P,and I bet my life on it daily with out hesitation.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

Quote Originally Posted by mike28w View Post
    I hate to read these kinds of reports. Some great , some horrible.

The Kahr design seems to "potentially" be a very good design. I worry that if Kahr doesn't get the quality and consistency issues ironed out soon, they'll go out of business. What good is a $500 - $600 gun that "might " be reliable. JMO.........

PS: About the only way that I think that I would buy a Kahr, is from a friend who swears that this is one of the good ones...... Otherwise, it's a gamble..

I agree now unfortunately. If I want a gun that might work I'll buy a Taurus. If it doesn't come back running 100% I'm trading it. Kahr doesn't make the cheapest guns around, they can do better quality control for the money they charge.

I'll give them a chance to make it right. I used to be a quality auditor, I know sometimes crap happens. Long as they fix it I'll forgive them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links