New Kahr Issues

New Kahr Issues

This is a discussion on New Kahr Issues within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I picked up a Kahr P45 yesterday. Today I took it to the local range with 200 rounds of ammo to give it a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Kahr Issues

Angry New Kahr Issues

Well, I picked up a Kahr P45 yesterday. Today I took it to the local range with 200 rounds of ammo to give it a break in session as I do with any gun I buy.

The first 50 rounds I experienced no problems other than I was having difficulty with the 2 dot sights. I didn't figure those silly things out till I was almost done shooting. This isn't an issue as I'll swap them out for something more to my liking, and the gun seemed accurate enough. Just the shooter was flustered with a sight setup he despises ;)

The first issue I have with the gun is that the slide release seems very touchy. I can literally just barely touch it and the slide slams forward. Also, the slide closes when a full magazine is inserted, even when very slowly inserted.

After 100 rounds it started to have massive FTE problems. It may be the fact that the gun was getting dirty since it got worse and worse the more I shot. Still, I have to say I was very dismayed with that. One of the range employees said he has one and that it took his 500 rounds to break in and the extraction problems he was having the same as mine went away. 500 seems a bit high just to get functionality. I'll try a few more sessions at 100 rounds a piece with varying ammo types to see if it's not an issue of the gun gunking up or an ammunition it doesn't like.

Any input? Is the feather slide working as designed? Do these guns really need 500 rounds to break in?

Got a P9 here. No problems with about 1500 rounds. Really the only time I had a problem was when I first bought it and tried to load a round like a Glock by racking the slide. After I read the instructions and did everything the right way I never had a problem.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The slide release on my P45 is the exact opposite...it takes a hefty thumbing to release the slide. My range log shows 827 rounds through my P45 in the two months I've had it. I'm sorry to report FTF and FTE problems remain. I'm trying very hard to find ammo that works because I really like this pistol in regard to it's size, weight, caliber, accuracy and general carryability, (if that's a word).

Ball ammo seems to feed better than H.P. Cor bon and Magtech solid copper will not fit the chamber. My favorite ammo; Gold Dot and Hornady TAP. even gave me some problems. I tried some +P but it has more recoil than I'm willing to handle. I'll settle for better control.

My pistol came with Mepro tru dot night sights and they are excellent, I recomment them. I carry in a Mitch Rosen Premier holster which took some fitting but now carries tight to the body, draws fast, is comfortable and goes on and off easily.

I haven't given up on this pistol... yet, but I am disappointed in the level of unreliability so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    The slide release on my P45 is the exact opposite...it takes a hefty thumbing to release the slide. My range log shows 827 rounds through my P45 in the two months I've had it. I'm sorry to report FTF and FTE problems remain. I'm trying very hard to find ammo that works because I really like this pistol in regard to it's size, weight, caliber, accuracy and general carryability, (if that's a word).

Ball ammo seems to feed better than H.P. Cor bon and Magtech solid copper will not fit the chamber. My favorite ammo; Gold Dot and Hornady TAP. even gave me some problems. I tried some +P but it has more recoil than I'm willing to handle. I'll settle for better control.

My pistol came with Mepro tru dot night sights and they are excellent, I recomment them. I carry in a Mitch Rosen Premier holster which took some fitting but now carries tight to the body, draws fast, is comfortable and goes on and off easily.

I haven't given up on this pistol... yet, but I am disappointed in the level of unreliability so far.
    I use Mepros on my Glock and love them, so if the Kahr ever becomes a working gun I'll install them on it as well. I had no FTF problems at all, unlike you. Also, the slide release was not so touchy before I shot it.

my TP45 works flawlessly. My advice is tear it down and clean it.
    are ya using handloads in the gun ? also how are you holding the gun ?
    it will say in the manual that 200 rounds is sufficient for break in. Your gun, like mine, is designed so when you shoot out 1 mag the slide stays open. Then when you slam home the new mag in the mag-well, it slams shut. I believe its called combat reload. Its alot easier for me to do that than releasing the slide via slide release button.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    my TP45 works flawlessly. My advice is tear it down and clean it.
    are ya using handloads in the gun ? also how are you holding the gun ?
    it will say in the manual that 200 rounds is sufficient for break in. Your gun, like mine, is designed so when you shoot out 1 mag the slide stays open. Then when you slam home the new mag in the mag-well, it slams shut. I believe its called combat reload. Its alot easier for me to do that than releasing the slide via slide release button.
    I'm using a thumbs forward grip. I'm not limpwristing it. It's just not extracting a good number of the spent cases. I cleaned and lubed it well before taking it out. As I said it's possible that the gun got too dirty from shooting, but after only 100 rounds? I'll try some other ammunition next time.

No, no reloads in this one.

VIP Member
    My P45 has a hard-to-activate slide release; but it's tripped when I load a magazine into the well.

Further, Kahr themselves advise that at least 200 "break-in" rounds are needed....but like with any mechanical device, that number can vary IMHO. That said, my P45 has nearly 1000 rounds through it and has had problems with failures-to-feed.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I purchased my Kahr PM9 used about a year ago, so when I got it I really didn't have any idea of how many rounds had already been through it. I have noticed that if I don't keep it spick and span clean, I can and do get some FTE. Otherwise, I don't have any problem with it and it is my EDC firearm - so I do stake my life on it that it will work when and if needed.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

I have a CW9 with about 400rds thru it. I had the same FTE issues in the first 50rds but I have ZERO since. Sometimes my slide will go home when I insert the mag too.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Administrator
    I dont see an issue at all with your Kahr. Perhaps the slide stop is a little loose, but I'm not seeing where problem is. Finish breaking it in and report back.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I bought a new Kahr K9 a few months ago. I have read enough here about problems with Kahrs that I asked about proper break in. The gunshop advised me that the Kahrs tended to shed their lube and when they got dry, problems developed. On their advise, I cleaned it and lubricated it with gun grease rather than oil prior to shooting it the first time. Maybe switching lubes will help with your issues. I have had zero problems of any type and it's been at least 500 rounds since it's been cleaned. I haven't started carrying it yet because, even after switching to 3 dot night sights, I'm having accuracy issues. It's me, not the gun...others have shot it and get nice tiny groups with it. I do ok, but always end up with a flyer or 2 that opens up the group to an unacceptable level. I'm signed up for a 2 day defensive pistol class. I'm going to use this gun and see if I can't work out my issues with it so I can start carrying it.

First off, I recommend that you lubricate the gun well, consider some grease instead of the normal lube & clean mix (like Hoppes 9).

Second, all Kahr's are designed to hold the slide open on an empty mag with additional tension (on mine, it's practically impossible to release single handed on an empty mag). When you pop the mag out, or pop a new mag in, it releases easy as pie. Since yours is releasing too easy, I would keep an eye on it, and if it doesn't get better with break in (I personally doubt it will), you should send it in.

Keep us updated.

Edit: Page 11 of the 'universal Kahr operation manual' (available on their website) explains how the slide release should work.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    First off, I recommend that you lubricate the gun well, consider some grease instead of the normal lube & clean mix (like Hoppes 9).

That is fine advise, and I agree, but it hasn't helped with failures in my case. I use TW25b, Militec lube and Hoppes gun oil. I keep my pistols very clean, yet, after almost 1000 rounds there are still some reliability issues. All of the ammo used has been factory.

I have used other Kahrs in the past, a K9 and T9, both 9mm and both flawless performers. My frustration with the P45 comes from the knowledge that Kahr can and does make reliable pistols...this just doesn't seem to be one of them.

I bought the P45 with the intent of turning into my CCW, replacing a HK P2000SK, but it is the HK that still goes on my belt. The last note I made in my range log was: "...this gun too unreliable to carry." These are not cheap pistols, not poor quality materials, not a new design. They should work...break in, no break in, whatever...at this level the darn thing should work without too much babying.IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    That is fine advise, and I agree, but it hasn't helped with failures in my case. I use TW25b, Militec lube and Hoppes gun oil. I keep my pistols very clean, yet, after almost 1000 rounds there are still some reliability issues. All of the ammo used has been factory.

I have used other Kahrs in the past, a K9 and T9, both 9mm and both flawless performers. My frustration with the P45 comes from the knowledge that Kahr can and does make reliable pistols...this just doesn't seem to be one of them.

I bought the P45 with the intent of turning into my CCW, replacing a HK P2000SK, but it is the HK that still goes on my belt. The last note I made in my range log was: "...this gun too unreliable to carry." These are not cheap pistols, not poor quality materials, not a new design. They should work...break in, no break in, whatever...at this level the darn thing should work without too much babying.IMHO.
    I didn't realize you'd put a thousand through it. It needs to be sent back to Kahr. Raise heck. Let 'em know. Good luck!
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I keep my guns immaculately clean. I'll switch to a grease for lubrication and try other ammunition brands.

The slide holds open on an empty mag just fine, and is hard to depress on an empty mag as Kahr claims. But it's hard to engage the slide stop manually as it want to snap closed with the tiniest touch. In fact, after locking the slide back just a firm tap to the pistol itself will close the slide. I don't even have to touch the release. Just tested that out as I was typing this.

It's extraction problems are all the same. No stovepipes, the casings aren't coming loose from the extractor claw. And yes, I pay special attention to that part while cleaning.

I'll give it a little more range time and see if any of this clears up, but I'm not that optimistic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links