Defensive Carry banner

What is the smallest .40 available?

28K views 27 replies 25 participants last post by  fatboy97 
#1 ·
Smallest I can seem to find is the Kahr PM40. Anyone know of anything smaller in 40??

#5 ·
I think the Kahr PM40 is the smallest. Nothing else that I can think of in that size, really.

Walther PPS is supposed to be released in .40, and it's a single stack, but I think it's still beefier than the Kahr offering. It might be close in size, I don't know.

The smallest, lightest double stack .40 I can think of is the Glock 27.

#7 ·
I just replaced my PM40 with the G27. The Glock is a bit fatter...however...I prefer a bang EVERY time I press the trigger.:yup:

#8 ·
MK40

If you're thinking of getting that 'smallest' .40, be sure to consider the Kahr MK40 Elite along with the PM40. Personally, I think the MK will hande the .40 a little bit better (Stainless and heavier). As long as you're not planning to use it as a pocket pistol.

:urla9ub:

#9 ·
I personally carry an MK40 daily. It may not be the absolutely smallest 40 out there, but compared to most, it's tiny. I like the feel and weight of the stainless, and I find it helps manage the recoil which in some smaller handguns, can be a bit much. Never had a problem with the Kahr, and when you shine her up, she looks so pretty. The downside, as with most smaller handguns is round count. She packs a punch, just not a whole lot of repeat punches.

#10 ·
6 shots of .40 isn't bad...

I personally carry an MK40 daily....The downside, as with most smaller handguns is round count. She packs a punch, just not a whole lot of repeat punches.
The Kahr MK40 holds 5+1 rounds. I believe that will be adequate for most civilian encounters, given the power of the .40 caliber. It is equivalent to a six shot .357 magnum revolver. And I suspect that you carry a spare magazine, which would give you 11 rounds total with a reload.

I think the chances of your running out of ammo in a defensive use of your gun are 1 in 100.

#12 ·
Everyone is different with regard to what level of recoil they can handle. For me, a small .40 would be a problem. Someone larger and stronger may have no difficulty with it.

#15 ·
I went with a somewhat larger handgun in .40 because anything smaller wasn't any fun for me to shoot! I choose a Glock 27. :wink:

#16 ·
I don't consider myself overly "recoil sensitive" but the poly-framed Kahr .40 I owned sure was a healthly handfull when trying to double-tap defensive .40 S&W ammo. IMHO, if you're going small size in a major caliber, go steel-framed. Your results may vary.

#20 ·
+1 on the stout recoil. It really is a handful. I found the pm45 had less felt recoil then the pm40. I really like the pm9 that I own.

#22 ·
Personally, I wouldn't want to shoot anything smaller than a Glock 23 in .40 cal. The recoil is too much.

#25 ·
G27 all day long. I carry it, fire it and trust my life with it. Not the sexist gun but it gets the job done and well for me. I carry 9+1 and use a G23 (13rds) mag with an adapter as a back mag or reverse it if I'm OCing or have a large coat on.

#28 ·
Maybe a better question would be: What is the smallest .40S&W that I would trust my life with?

The answer I would give to that would be the SIG P239. That said I did not like the feel of grip and considered too small, so I sold it after I bought my Glock 23C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.