Your opinion, please

This is a discussion on Your opinion, please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did some "fondling" at a gunshop yesterday. I decided to go with the 1911, in A.C.P. Im not a big guy (5'11", 160-170lbs, lean) ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your opinion, please

I did some "fondling" at a gunshop yesterday. I decided to go with the 1911, in A.C.P.

Im not a big guy (5'11", 160-170lbs, lean) and I want something for concealed carry. Would a fullsize 1911 be practical?

At the moment, Im thinking about the Kimber pro carry II, or the Kimber Poly 10. Or a 4" Springfield.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    my first question is why the GAP??
    and my observation about what weapon is this: guns are like shoes. You gotta try it on to see if it fits.
    Rent some, beg at the range but shoot it first.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I just bought the springfield armory ultra-compact (3" brl.)
    and i am ultimately impressed.
    i expected a lot more "violence" in recoil from the 45acp round but was very pleasantly surprised that its not that much more than a 9mm. more solid maybe but not rough to me in any way.
    The quality of this gun is top notch, as are most of the other big name brands i'm sure.
    seems very concealable and will become my primary gun upon familiarization.
    a full size just seemed to big for what i will be doing with it. 4" brl would be my first choice after handling this one for a while.

in a nutshell (and i'm gonna stir it up i know) a full size seems to big if ya plan on "dressing light" cuz its gonna stick out the bottom of yer t-shirt sooner with the longer barrel.

just my 2 cents
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by gregarat
    I did some "fondling" at a gunshop yesterday. I decided to go with the 1911, in A.C.P.

Im not a big guy (5'11", 160-170lbs, lean) and I want something for concealed carry. Would a fullsize 1911 be practical?

At the moment, Im thinking about the Kimber pro carry II, or the Kimber Poly 10. Or a 4" Springfield.

I think you could carry a full size 1911 without a problem. You will need a good holster and belt but that goes for any gun you will carry if you want to be comfortable.
    If you like a 4" Springfield get it and shoot the heck out of it, clean it and repeat. If there are any problems with it send it back to Springfield they have possibility the best customer service in the business. I have never needed to send anything back to Springfield but a friend had some issues with a Springfield Champion(4") and they were fixed very quickly at no cost.
    Pick the one that feels right and shoot in lots.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Hmmm... Think I may get a full sized G.I., and add a beavertail, pluse better sights,...for now.

Im not worried about the barrel poking out from the bottom of my shirt, I like I.T.W. holsters. Becides its the grip length that might be the problem, with me.
    Speaking of holsters, Sam Andrew lives right here in Alachua Co.

Sololucky,
    Its funny you mentioned the recoil. I dont find it bad myself. The funny part is, I see "big guys" shy away from firing one.
    I always thought the main factor in recoil is with the perception of the shooter. When my lill sister was 12yrs old she liked shooting a .44 magnum.
    Last edited by gregarat; September 8th, 2005 at 07:18 AM.

Lead Moderator
    gregarat, you might want to consider a 4" 1911. Personally i find I can hide a full size grip if the gun is canted forward a bit. But then the barrel/slide tends to stick out. solution, get a shorter barrel/slide. Just something to consider.

VIP Member
    With all the good posts, I'm probably just an echo. Seems you step on a nest of 1911'ers wherever you go in this, the best forum by far. I settled on the thin 1911 (the 45 acp was always a given) and eventually went to the 4" for the same reason Rocky stated above. The 3" 1911's have a cycle timing challenge that Kimber has solved better than the others, I believe. But 3" of slide isn't enough inside the waist with a severe forward cant which I prefer. 5" is too much. A problem lies in the weight of the grip trying to leverage the gun out. The alloy frame of the 28 oz Pro Carry solves that. Get night sights if you can. But the 5" Springfield Armory Mil Spec represents the most gun for the least money. I think Kimber represents the best gun short of money to burn. Whatever you get, your hands will make it comfortable after you burn it in, and any problems will be fixed by the factory. I love our mfgrs for that.

Kimber has signed a deal with Crimson Trace to put grey wrap laser grips with the Kimber logo on the Pro Carry, too. Kimber states that after 20,000 rounds, the alloy frame showed no signs of stress. The 5" generates 50fps more velocity and more kick than the 4", so a light 4" feels the same as a std 5". The 3" lightweight is even softer, believe it or not, but it's hardly noticeable.

ps. Kimber's .22 conversion kit fits 4" & 5" 1911's. Gregarat, can you imagine using the same laser grips and trigger with a .22? (although i keep the laser switched off for daytime carry, it sure is fun, and a great training aid)
    Last edited by gunthorp; September 10th, 2005 at 03:23 PM.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I hate the trigger on the XD. I love everything about the Glock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links