Your opinion, please

Your opinion, please

This is a discussion on Your opinion, please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im saving for a new ccw piece. I am torn between the Springfield XD, or the Glock in the .45 G.A.P. I may even decide ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your opinion, please

Im saving for a new ccw piece. I am torn between the Springfield XD, or the Glock in the .45 G.A.P.
    I may even decide to get a 4" Springfield 1911. But I am really intrigued by the G.A.P. cartridge.

So what do you think?

If those are the choices I'd take the XD. I love mine. Well I don't love it like I love some of my other guns, but for its intended use it is fantastic.

This is like choosing between Coke or Pepsi really. They're both excellent products, but in your own opinion you've got to decide which one is better.

The 4" 1911 idea I'd personally skip on unless you just get some really amazing deal. I played with a 4" Springfield GI recently and it had one misfeed at the end of 3 magazine's worth of ammunition. That's just not acceptable for a carry gun to do that. Of course 1911s are a whole different animal and it could have just been because he was using the wrong magazine or the moon was in the wrong phase. It was however a very nice gun. I'd just want that little problem corrected personally.

Lead Moderator
    Also the GAP round may not become that popular 5 or more years down the road. Other problems/ shortcomings may crop up with this caliber. Just something to consider. As for which gun, its more personal prefence and what feels right to you.

if i was going to buy the 45 gap ego round or the answer to the question no one asked... i would go with the Springfield XD

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Greg
    I have the Glock 37 in 45GAP and it is without a doubt the nicest pistol I have ever shot. I don't have any first hand experience with the Springfield offering but have heard many good things about it. What I would suggest is to Handel both and go with the one that is most comfortable in your hand. I feel the GAP is going to continue to grow in popularity as time goes on. Good luck with your decision.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I haen't actually shot a XD yet, but I like the way they feel better than the Glock.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

The 1911's are great carry guns, the XD is also a great choice. There are plenty of other choices out there as well. I'm curious to see the Glock 39 as it's the same size frame slide etc, as the Glock 26/27 platform.. Ya gotta check out everythng to se what fits you best

Assistant Administrator
    XD too would be my choice - over a Glock. I like what I have seen.

I am not overly enthused over the .45 GAP - but that may be an old age ''resistance to change'' deal
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Looks like you guys got it pretty well covered...he should be sufficiently confused now without any additional help from me.

Im no more or less confused as when I first posted. Everyones advice has crossed my mind, and kept spinning around at work. I do apreciate your opinions, and am pleased that Im not disappointed.

I am scared that this cartridge might be a "fad", and drop off the market after I buy something chambered for this round. Their is tons of great cartridges that just dont catch on, or are forgotten.

Looks like Im going to do some "fondling" at the gunshops today.

Any additional advice would be most appreciated.

They are all very different animals. Which one feels best in your hand? Do you want a manual safety, or not? You should try them all out before you buy. One thing to consider - If you buy a Springfield, they come with a lifetime warranty.

My vote would be for the 1911. I am not a big fan of the GAP round; its more expensive in my area, and I can carry a gun with the ACP round no problem. The 1911 is a thin gun, and conceals very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    The 4" 1911 idea I'd personally skip on unless you just get some really amazing deal. I played with a 4" Springfield GI recently and it had one misfeed at the end of 3 magazine's worth of ammunition. That's just not acceptable for a carry gun to do that. Of course 1911s are a whole different animal and it could have just been because he was using the wrong magazine or the moon was in the wrong phase. It was however a very nice gun. I'd just want that little problem corrected personally.
    Could have been the mags; my 4" Springfield 1911 goes bang every time I pull the trigger. I had one stovepipe when I was breaking it in, but it's been flawless ever since (600+ rounds).

Senior Moderator
    Gregarat,
    I couldn't help thinking about what rocky said, "...Other problems/ shortcomings may crop up with this caliber...". I think that's a good point and worth giving some thought to. The .45 ACP is a long time tried and tested round and so are most of the guns that chamber it; OTOH, the .45 GAP has little history.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    greg,

I don;t know if you realize it, but you just started a Glock vs. 1911 thread. You will have more varying opinions than you could ever want. That said, I have a Glock and a 1911. Buy both as they will serve you differently.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Quote Originally Posted by gregarat
    Im saving for a new ccw piece. I am torn between the Springfield XD, or the Glock in the .45 G.A.P.
    I may even decide to get a 4" Springfield 1911. But I am really intrigued by the G.A.P. cartridge.

So what do you think?
    Considering the three you listed as possible choices, my vote would go to the 1911 for the following reasons.
    1) I don't personally care for the XD's. Everyone I've talked to that has one likes them but I just don't care for the "feel" of the gun. I may eventually get one if I find a good deal but it's not very high on the list.

2) I wouldn't personally get anything in .45 GAP, not because I have any problem with the idea behind the cartridge, but because it just hasn't been around long enough. After it's been around for a few more years, and possibly adopted by a police department or two as their issue round, I may reconsider. For the record, I have nothing against Glocks in general, I have a G19 and I really like it.

3) I just like 1911's
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gregarat
    But I am really intrigued by the G.A.P. cartridge.

So what do you think?
    I too fear that the G.A.P. may not be around that long. But then again I was resistant to the 40 when it came out. (I was wrong on that one.)
    As with the 40 I think this new cartridge while 'intriguing', needs some time on the market and some results from the streets.

As for you choice of guns, I too am a 1911 man, if you intend to carry one become very familiar with the operation of a condition one 1911.

I echo the thoughts of the others here and say that you not only have to feel each gun in your hand, if possible fire each one on the range, do a rushed reload, and see how it feels to you, that is the real test of which gun to buy.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links