Heading over to the dark side.

This is a discussion on Heading over to the dark side. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, it looks like I will now be carry a 4" 1911 as my EDC instead of the xd9sc that I started with. After a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heading over to the dark side.

Heading over to the dark side.

Well, it looks like I will now be carry a 4" 1911 as my EDC instead of the xd9sc that I started with. After a short bout of denial and skepticism of carry such a large gun(compared the xd), I decided to give it a try for a day. So before I left for work I put on my Crossbreed Supetuck Deluxe, followed by a 4" Kimber Pro Covert. I tucked in my cover shirt like I normally do and much to my dismay the gun concealed just as well as the xd did. Throughout the course of my day the gun never untucked my shirt, or caused any of the other problems I foresaw. This is very bad news for the xd since I prefer the 1911 platform to the polymer guns. The only reason I was hanging onto the xd was because of the size and ease of concealment. Now that my theory has been proven false it looks like the xd may be on its way out.

2. Remove Ads

Thin is good

When you carry IWB tucked, a thin gun is a big advantage, and barrel length is less important. Your Kimber Pro is thinner than a Springfield XD and I'm not surprised that it conceals well in your carry mode.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

HMMMM< your report poses a dilema for me. Saturday morning I am going gun shopping for my new edc. I was planning on a xd-sub or a glock 30. Now that you say the Kimber conceals just as well, I may have to add that to my list of what to look at. I saw a nice ultra-carry at the local shop that I kinda liked as well as a nice cdp. Thanks for the info.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Dark side? What's this dark side business? You just stepped out of the shade into the sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Dark side? What's this dark side business? You just stepped out of the shade into the sunlight.

The thing you can never underestimate about the 1911 is its wonderful thinness. I carry a Gubmint model all day every day.

XDs and Grocks look very steathly, til you turn them on their sides.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

If the XD is out the door as you say, I see a new user name in the future!

lol, upon further reflexion I probably shouldn't have used a username that was so specific to one model of gun. Oh well, a quick pm to a mod will fix that. Seriously though, I have come to realize, that just as Pogo2 said, to an extent length is not very important. It is the thickness of the gun that really matters in an IWB carry gun. I just can't believe I didn't decide to try this sooner. Jaystekan, I would definitely look at the Kimber ultra's and even the pro series which has a 4" barrel and a longer grip than the ultra's. I wear jeans or khakis and a button down or polo shirt(tucked in) to work every day and the Pro conceals great.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    If the XD is out the door as you say, I see a new user name in the future!
    I hope he offers it for sale on the forum, say at $ 150.

This whole concealed "thing" is a real bug a boo and very much depends on body type.

I got a COMTAC hoster, which so many people love for my 1911. For me, it doesn't conceal for beans. Ordered a UBG OWB holster, and that belt holster conceals better than the comtac IWB.

Go figure!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    +1!

After carrying my 4" 1911SC my SIGs are feeling neglected because they don't get carried very often! 1911's are a joy to carry.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XD9mm View Post
    Well, it looks like I will now be carry a 4" 1911 as my EDC instead of the xd9sc that I started with.
    I am sure that if you started with a Glock we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I am sure that if you started with a Glock we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    ha, uh aww. Allow me to deflect by saying that I agree with puppy about "concealment". It is different for everybody, and alot of variables can effect it. I know I have to carry my xd at 4 o'clock to keep from looking like I have a tumor growing on my right hip. However I see guys on here all the time posting how they wear a full sized xd at 3 o'clock with no problem. Along with body type, I believe clothing style plays a big role as well. The tighter the clothes the more concealment becomes an issue. Anyhow, I'm going to wear the Kimber to work for the rest of the week to make sure that it wasn't just a fluke and that I can consistently wear it comfortably. If it works out the next two days, look for my xd to be in the classifieds over the weekend, along with two boxes of Federal HST ammo, and a Crossbreed and UBG holster.

Quote Originally Posted by XD9mm View Post
    lol, upon further reflexion I probably shouldn't have used a username that was so specific to one model of gun. Oh well, a quick pm to a mod will fix that. Seriously though, I have come to realize, that just as Pogo2 said, to an extent length is not very important. It is the thickness of the gun that really matters in an IWB carry gun. I just can't believe I didn't decide to try this sooner. Jaystekan, I would definitely look at the Kimber ultra's and even the pro series which has a 4" barrel and a longer grip than the ultra's. I wear jeans or khakis and a button down or polo shirt(tucked in) to work every day and the Pro conceals great.
    My Kimber Ultra is a great .45 caliber weapon to conceal...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The Genius of John Moses Browning has still not been surpassed by any other designer. Pound for pound, his 1911 design is still second to none....

And it is probably the most battle-proven handgun of all time with the exception of maybe a Colt SAA

Thats why I carry it.......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I've been tossing around the idea of carrying my 1911 gov't, over my xd as the hard part to conceal is the width, as opposed to barrel length. I shoot both about the same, and the trigger on my 1911 is much smoother. As far as saying Glock over a 1911..?? Glock didn't realize true perfection was created almost 100 years ago, lol.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links