Having hard time making choice

This is a discussion on Having hard time making choice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to the forum and new to concealed carry. I'm having a hard time making a choice on which caliber/frame size/make/model to carry. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having hard time making choice

Having hard time making choice

I'm new to the forum and new to concealed carry. I'm having a hard time making a choice on which caliber/frame size/make/model to carry. I know it's a personal choice as far as what fits right, etc. but I'm wondering what is the most popular carry gun out there. In .45acp I've shot the Kimber Ultra Carry II, the Para LDA and the Glock 30. I currently own and frequently shoot a Ruger P89 (bulletproof pistol), a Berretta 92FS both chambered in 9mm. I'd like to stick with one caliber but I haven't found another 9mm that fits me well and is compact enough to carry. Any feedback out there on the Sig 229? So many choices, so little money.
    "Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without police protection is both."

Kimber CDP .45acp, CT Laser
    BUG - Ruger SP101 .357mag, CT Laser

2. Remove Ads

Can't go wrong with any of the big names if you find one your comfortable with.

I like the SIG 229 and 239 the best as far as SIGs go. I'm growing more partial to .40S&W and .45, but my "never leave home without it" carry is my lil Kel-tec .32, that I'm hoping is going to have a .380 cousin delivered shortly. Either in Kel-tec or Ruger variety.

Buds has SIG 229, 226, and a few other CPOs for around $550 I believe.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

VIP Member
    Take a look at the CZ compact. THey have 3 different models, the compact (full steel frame, the PCR (alloy frame) and the P-01 (alloy frame with rails). All 3 available for about $500. I carry a P-01 or a P-04 (.40 cal). Also have a compact in satin nickle.

VIP Member
    I have a couple different 1911 Commander sized .45's and I am very impressed with the S&W 1911SC!

This gun is very accurate, light to carry (disappears in my VM-II) and a joy to shoot! I think it's very worth considering.

SIG P-220 is another very popular and sweet handgun in .45.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Have fun choosing !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

HARD to answer.

"I'm wondering what is the most popular carry gun out there."

Norris, welcome to the forum. But your quote (above) is a (pardon the pun) loaded question! If I were to make a wild guess at "the most popular (carry) gun out there" it would have to be based strictly on the gun most folks carry concealed most of the time. That being said, my answer would be; the j-frame S&W, the GLOCK G19 or a compact 1911 design of some sort. Those are NOT endorsements (although I have & carry them) but rather my honest idea of the most popular overall.

There are folks who are wildly fond of, say...the H&K P7. But, while P7 shooters may be passionate about their pick, the gun isn't "popular" by my understanding of your question. The style, brand, model & caliber of the "most popular" is gonna' be one tough question to answer. Good Luck!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I had considered the P229 to fit nicely between my P226 and P239, but held and shoot the Glock 23.... and did not look back. I've added a Glock 19 after selling my P239. The Glock 19 is a very reliable, concealable and affordable gun; and about the same size as the P229.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

The 229 is a top notch firearm second to none. I have 3 of them DA/SA in .40 S&W.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

+1 on the Glock 19. IMHO it's an ideal balance between size, weight and capacity. Plus, lots of holsters and accessories are available.

Maybe a Sig P239?

Quote Originally Posted by norris53206 View Post
    I'm new to the forum and new to concealed carry. I'm having a hard time making a choice on which caliber/frame size/make/model to carry.... Any feedback out there on the Sig 229?
    Regarding the Sig P229, I've owned one in .40 for about 8 years and put thousands of rounds through it. It is a great gun in every respect. It's only drawback is that it is a bit on the heavy and wide side for easy carry, weighing 32 ounces empty and measuring almost 1.5 inches thick at the widest point. But it carries 12+1 rounds in .40 (more in 9mm) and is a good shooting gun.

I think that if I were in your position I might look at the Sig P239, which is thinner and lighter weight than the P229 and easier to conceal. The Sig website shows its weight as about 27 ounces and 1.2 inches wide at the widest point. The length and height are also less than the P229. It holds 8+1 rounds in 9mm and 7+1 in .40, so you don't have the capacity of the P229. But if you think this capacity is adequate the gun gets very high marks from almost everyone who has one.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by norris53206 View Post
    I'm new to the forum and new to concealed carry. I'm having a hard time making a choice on which caliber/frame size/make/model to carry. I know it's a personal choice as far as what fits right, etc. but I'm wondering what is the most popular carry gun out there. In .45acp I've shot the Kimber Ultra Carry II, the Para LDA and the Glock 30. I currently own and frequently shoot a Ruger P89 (bulletproof pistol), a Berretta 92FS both chambered in 9mm. I'd like to stick with one caliber but I haven't found another 9mm that fits me well and is compact enough to carry. Any feedback out there on the Sig 229? So many choices, so little money.
    Check out the Kahr lineup. I struggles with the decision as well but went with a PM9 and love it. Now I want a 40 or 45 too but cant decide.

whw
    Take a look at the hi power. The FN models are less expensive than the Browning named gun. It is my favorite carry gun for now.

whw

Welcome to the forum! Having carried for years now, all I can say is I am quite familiar with your questions on which gun, caliber and holster is best! I've found that for me the answer is that I have several carry guns for different situations. My basic rule is carry as large of a caliber in as large of a gun as is possible. So it varies in the winter under a coat it's a .45 1911, At work in front pocket it's a NAA. 22Mag. as getting made would be really bad and it's a low threat environment. The gun I carry most often is my Glock 27, IWB.

I'm partial to the HK P2000 SK in 9mm. It carries well with a 10rd flat baseplate mag and a K&D or Comp-TAC holster. The nice thing is you can carry 15rd HK P30 mags as spares.

I've also carried the Sig P239 for a long time and it's a fine firearm.

-john

Can't go wrong with a G19 great gun and very reliable/accurate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links