S&W 642

This is a discussion on S&W 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd be careful about a .357 in a light, small gun. I've shot some .357 magnum loads in a 686 2-1/2 that I didn't enjoy ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W 642

Senior Moderator
    I'd be careful about a .357 in a light, small gun. I've shot some .357 magnum loads in a 686 2-1/2 that I didn't enjoy at all. I've got the S&W J frame Ti/AL (can't remember the model number - senior moment ) and a young beefy fellow at the range wanted to shoot it so I handed him the gun with five .83 spcl. range rounds in it and he shot it twice and handed it back. When I said there were three left, he said no thanks. It musta beat him up pretty good.

2. Remove Ads

Lol, I would mail you the change, but I hear that it is a federal offense. Lets just say I owe you till a later date when I can repay the debt.

Thanks, for the reply. Sounds like the extra cost for one of those fancy scandium alloy is more preference than anything. After shooting .357 and .38 yesterday, I enjoyed the .38 more. I will probaly stick with what felt good yesterday. If I stick with the 642, I can afford the CT grips. Can't buy them if I buy the 340 or any other AirLite's.

One more question, do you have to get custom holsters because of the CT grips or is that not an issue?
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

XD9
    No custom holsters needed for me. It fits really well in both of my holsters and I bought both of them off a little peg in Sportsman Warehouse.

PS. Read your private message.
    There are 2 sounds in the world that strike more fear than any others. A click when you should hear a bang and a bang when you should hear a click.

I found a shop in town that will sell the S&W 642 with CT's for $570. Is that a good price? I cant seem to find it cheaper, but haven't looked around that much.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Administrator

Just FYI

There are 2 styles of Crimson Trace for the S&W J~Frames these days.
    One is selling for more $$$ than the other.
    They are the "LG205" & the "LG305" w/ the 305 having this configuration of grip (below) & it being the newer model of grip:
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks, went to the website and took a look. One has polymer grips and the other rubber overmolds. I was told by a friend yesterday that he put the wood grips on his 642 because the original grips would catch on the inside of his pocket and was hard to draw quickly. Can I expect the same with either of these two grips if I pocket carry?
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

XD9
    Van Wagenens on State Street in Orem is where I got mine. $489. Killer deal. And that is with the newer style of grips. SW seal and an on/off switch.
    There are 2 sounds in the world that strike more fear than any others. A click when you should hear a bang and a bang when you should hear a click.

Cool

Shotgun,

Not being much of a fan of pocketcarry, I carry my 642 with CT grips in a smartcarry holster. I do like the concept of front (12:00) IWB handgun carry without a holster a.k.a. ďMexicanĒ carry but itís really not the safest. So the next best thing Iíve found is to wear my smartcarry higher up than shown on the smartcarry web site. If for example my shirt is untucked I usually have the smartcarry high enough up so that the butt of my rev is just above my belt buckle. If my shirt is tucked the butt is at buckle level and I pull the shirt out slightly. Very concealed this way. Iíve gone to the dentist, family gatherings, stores etc and nobody is the wiser. On Labor Day we went to some friends for a bbq and I wore my 642 under just my swim shorts and was never made. (Of course it was removed prior to actually swimming). Also wearing it this way makes accessibility very quick when sitting in my truck or car.

As far as the CT grips are concerned I would get the smaller hard style. (LG205)

Livin in the woods...... feelin mighty good.
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links