M&P Compact, Honest Opinions? - Page 2

M&P Compact, Honest Opinions?

This is a discussion on M&P Compact, Honest Opinions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have used a M&P40c as my EDC for 3 months now and I couldnt be happier. More comfortable than a XD40SC, G27 and my ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M&P Compact, Honest Opinions?

I have used a M&P40c as my EDC for 3 months now and I couldnt be happier. More comfortable than a XD40SC, G27 and my PX-4 Storm 40 which was a suprise for me. Also the recoil IMHO is comparable to my PX4, a very soft shooter not snappy at all. The trigger is gritty but I loved it right out of the box and it only gets better with use, mine smoothed out around 200 rounds. 100% reliable and I have had ZERO issues, I will definately reccommend the M&P40c to anyone who asks.

I have an M&P9c and have had nothing but great success with it. It currently has ~4000 rounds through it without even as much as a hiccup. Overall, I think my M&P9c is an excellent platform for concealed carry. It feels great, points naturally, and conceals easily on my small build. Some M&Pc's have had problems like dropping mags, but these were mostly limited to the M&P40c. I beleive Smith & Wesson has worked this out but if you would get an M&P40c and have issues, they will undoubtedly take care of you.

Also, if you do get an M&P40c, you may want to look into getting some fullsize .40 magazines and ordering a few mag sleeves. Here is a thread I started a while ago about the mag sleeves:M&P Mag Sleeves (picture intensive). Rick (luvmy40) now has a website: Custom Carry Concepts.

As mentioned in an early post, definitely check out MP-Pistol Forum.

My MP40c has 1000+ flawless rounds down range.

It is a perfect size gun right in between a G22 and G27 in size but with smoother edges. With the different grips sizes almost anyone can find the just right grip for it. Even my wheel gun father-in-law shot it, he could not believe how easy and accurate it was to shoot.

It is my primary carry gun.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

My M&P 40c has also been flawless after approx. 500 rds. No problems with reliability, mag drop, etc. Relatively mild shooter for such a small package in .40cal. I am awaiting for the release of the 45 Compact.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

I have the 9c. I got one of the older (10/06 test fire) ones with the soft metal mag catch. One call to S&W and I received a new catch, with a hardened insert in 2 days flat. Installation took like three minutes.

I also replaced my mag catch spring with a slightly thicker piece of spring steel, and my mag release is quite stiff now. I believe 100% there will be no incidental mag drops now.

I've only fired a couple hunderd' rounds, but it eats Gold Dots, WWB JHPs, and UMC ball just fine.

I did look at the Burwell Gunsmith instructions for smoothing out the trigger, and did all but the sear refacing with simple tools and a Dremel. My pull is very smooth. Most of the gritty feel is when the trigger bar contacts the firing pin block. Once you follow those directions, it shoots better. I could lighten my pull substantially with the sear refacing, but I don't have the right tools.

I'm told by S&W that a pistol manufactured late in 07 will already have the new catch in it. If you get one older than that, call S&W and tell them your mag drops out when you fire. That's all they need to hear.

I trust my M&P9c.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I'm not a fan of the .40 in any platform. Especially a compact polymer frame gun. Concerns about manners and durability come to mind. I do like the M&P in 9mm and have shot both the full size and the compact. Liked the full size better but didn't hate the compact.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by OHtard View Post
    i have had mine for over a year now. it was one of the first ones i saw at the local fun store. i have put well over 1000 rnds through it. the mag has never fallen out , nor have i had a malfunction of any kind. i wish crimson trace would bring out the grips for the compact, but other than that i am totally happy.
    if you are going to carry it look into the mtac from comp-tac. it carries the compact very well.
    That's the one I was looking into getting no matter which CCW I end up with. How does the texture of the holster treat the finish of the gun? Is it somewhat rough on it? If so, is there any room in there to mold some felt or moleskin or something to it?

Have had my M&P .40 for over a year and have no issues at all. It shoots any ammo I put in it, and the magazine has never fallen out. I love it and carry it every day.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the Congress is in session."
    Mark Twain
    S&W M&P 40

M&P 40c here as well - very happy.

This is the gun I am seriously considering. I wish I knew when the .357 version is coming out. I went to look at one last weekend and three shops were sold out.

I want a HK P7. But don't know if I want it to be my EDC and thats what I need before I buy anything else. I would like something that weighs less and has more rounds. But I love the thin profile and trigger on the P7.

I shoot the S&W M&P 40c and really enjoyed the accuracy of the gun, but with the issues at that time I decided to buy the Glock 19 to go with my Glock 23c.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I had one in my hand when I was looking to buy another 9mm pistol.It just didn't feel good in my hand compared to SW99 I have which I like alot better.
    I ended up with a glock 26 to go with my glock 17.Looking back I don't think
    SW gave their venture with Walther enough advertising because it's a dam fine pistol in it's own right and you don't have to worry about magazines falling out.

V8
    Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    That's the one I was looking into getting no matter which CCW I end up with. How does the texture of the holster treat the finish of the gun? Is it somewhat rough on it? If so, is there any room in there to mold some felt or moleskin or something to it?
    I also have the M-TAC for my M&P had it for about two months, I carry all weekend long and a few hours every night throughout the week, as of now there are no signs of wear on the guns finish. I have been very happy with the M-TAC. I ordered the "C" clips installed on it when I ordered it and found them very uncomfortable. After a few weeks of giving them a try I placed an order for the standard clips and they made all the difference to me.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I fondled it one at the Shot show and fell in love on the spot, I will have to wait for Barsto to make a longer barrel for it that is legal up here.

I don't have an M&P 40, but I have shot a friend's. It is impressive, very impressive. I am thinking about a getting a .40 and it is on the short list.
    Dieu et les Dames

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links