M&P Compact, Honest Opinions? - Page 3

M&P Compact, Honest Opinions?

This is a discussion on M&P Compact, Honest Opinions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a MP .40c and got rid of it. I had the mag catch issue. It would drop (not fully out of the gun ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M&P Compact, Honest Opinions?

I had a MP .40c and got rid of it. I had the mag catch issue. It would drop (not fully out of the gun but enough so another round would not feed) the mag. Called S&W and they sent me another mag catch to replace the one I had. I put it in but never shot the gun or trusted it again. Got the XD .45 compact instead. LOVE IT!!!
    I'll just stick w/ S&W when it comes to wheel guns.
    Colonel

Working for the railroad is like:
    Playing in the Superbowl everyday, winning the game, and still having practice tommorrow.

I have a .40C that I picked up last summer, has about 600 rounds through it. Only problems were due to crappy ammo (Wolf). I love the feel, size and capacity - 10 rounds in a 4.3 inch tall package!

I would worry about getting a newer model, The first few runs of them seem to have a few problems.
    I want one but will wait for two or three more years, so they can get all the bugs out.
    On the low end I would get an xd, if want to upgrade get a USPc.
    But I'm biased!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I picked up a M&P 9C in November 07. It has replaced my 3" compact 1911 as a daily carry gun. About the same size as a S&W 36 but with 13 rounds of 9mm. I have about 900 rounds through it with no failures. I have not seen the mag release problem in this later generation version. Accuracy is very good. The trigger smooths out after about 400 to 500 rounds.

To me it points better than a Glock and the ergonomics feel right. Locally, both Cincinnati and Columbus have changed to it. I have heard that NH State Police also recently changed to it from the SIG. I believe that S&W has finally found the right combination to make a mark in the LEO markets.

Talking M&P Compact Honest opinions

I have two M&P's one a 9mm compact (9c) and a full size .357 sig.

the 9c has about 5,000 rounds thru it with zero problems no hiccups no stovepipes, no ftf (failed to fire or failed to feed) no jams no dropped mags and I did after about 4000 rounds move the mag release to the right. Simple procedure with a ball point pen and 10 minutes. The .357 sig has about 1000 rounds thru it with no problems of any sort. It's a wonderful handgun easy to conceal and you can tell that S&W has done their homework on this one, up to and including breaking it down to clean, no trigger pull required.

My only beef with S&W is that they show the .357 sig as available and they have told me it would be released on Jan 1,08. 1/31/2008, 2/1/08, 2/14/08 and not 2/28/08. Looks like I'll be looking for a Sig 250 in March first....

Quote Originally Posted by omle54 View Post
    I have two M&P's one a 9mm compact (9c) and a full size .357 sig.

the 9c has about 5,000 rounds thru it with zero problems no hiccups no stovepipes, no ftf (failed to fire or failed to feed) no jams no dropped mags and I did after about 4000 rounds move the mag release to the right. Simple procedure with a ball point pen and 10 minutes. The .357 sig has about 1000 rounds thru it with no problems of any sort. It's a wonderful handgun easy to conceal and you can tell that S&W has done their homework on this one, up to and including breaking it down to clean, no trigger pull required.

My only beef with S&W is thatthey show the .357 sig as available and they have told me it would be released on Jan 1,08. 1/31/2008, 2/1/08, 2/14/08 and not 2/28/08. Looks like I'll be looking for a Sig 250 in March first....
    I should say M&P .357 compact it what I meant being released on 1/31 and so on... sorry for any confusion.

I have a M&P 40c that's going back to Smith for the second time. I'm having a problem with premature slide lock with 1-7 rounds left in the magazine. I've verified it isn't an issue with my grip hitting the slide stop. I've also tried with 3 different magazines. After reading a lot on mp-pistol.com, I don't think it's a common problem. However, it is more than enough to 1) stop me from carrying it and 2) seriously reconsider buying another M&P.

Speaking of mp-pistol.com, check it out for tons of information about the M&P. I hope my 40c to be eventually be reliable enough for me to carry, I love the ergonomics of the pistol!

When was the original purchase date of your 40c DangerMouse? I read a lot about that over on mp-pistol.com as well, but it seems that the productions that have been coming out later in 2007 and on into 2008 are not experiencing that problem anymore.

I've had 2 M&P 40 compacts, both problematic. The first one would lock back with rounds still in the mag. This was an earlier model. I got rid of it and bought another one last October, serial number MPZxxx. I think that's a pretty new one. Anyway, I had 2 light strikes in the first 50 rounds, and the gun wouldn't feed Fiocchi ball ammo. Disgusted, I got rid of it, too.

Anyone who reads this and still buys an M&P is more of a risk-taker than I am:

MP-Pistol.com :: View Forum - M&P Pistol Tech Difficulties

Sure, every pistol has had problems. But not to this extent. This pistol is a couple of years old now, the bugs should be worked out. Any time a company gets rave reviews for their customer service from so many people, this is not a good thing. That means a lot of people have had to use that customer service. Ala Kel-tec.

Sure, they'll fix it for free. That's small comfort when your striker breaks or your pistol won't feed during a gunfight.

I'm not flaming the M&P. I am relaying my bad experience with 2 separate compact .40 models, and my research that shows that these pistols are experiencing more than their fare share of problems.

YMMV, of course.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I have the M&P 9c. Great sights, dead on right out of the box, feels great in the hand and has been 100% reliable. I have a CompTac paddle holster for it and use it as my carry gun when I can utilize a cover garment like a suit or a jacket. I'm not sure how it would feel IWB carry - I'm used to a Bersa 380 in a C-TAC IWB which is very thin and comfortable for an IWB small of back rig. I'll have to get one for the S&W though- 13 rounds of 9mm+P+ sure beats 8 rounds of 380...

Duff,

I have a M&P 9c. I have had the mag drop issue twice. The first time, after about 500 rounds, the mag would just release after a shot occasionally. Then it got worse. S&W sent a new mag release button which the shop I purchased from installed.

4-500 rounds later, same thing again. It got to the place where the mag would drop after almost every shot.

This time I called S&W, and they had me send it in. They replaced the mag release button again, even though I told them it had been replaced once. I went out and shot today for the first time since getting it back from S&W. I put about 150 rounds down range. It functioned flawlessly.

But, frankly, I am skeptical. In another 4-500 rounds, if it is still flawless, I will glowingly recommend the M&P. I WANT to love this gun. It feels great, shoots well, carries like a dream.

I am just 'gun-shy.'
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I have a 40C that so far feeds everything I tried in it. I'm right at 500 rounds though it. I love shooting it, the recoil is mild and it shoots great. I started carrying it about 3 weeks ago. On mine, I shaved down the mag release button which definitly helps with not accidently hitting it. On a lot of the compacts, the button is sensitive. No regrets!

All I can say is I love my M&P9c over 2000 rds and flawless. It carries great in a deSantis cozy partner IWB. This is the gun that convinced me that polymers can be great guns. Also my dad loved mine so much he had to get one for himself.

Goin' to the range tomorrow to make the final decision on what I'm gonna buy with the tax check. About 15 guys from my sport-bike club are bringin out their armories for me and the wife to test out. Pretty much every compact and or subcompact model available on the market for under $800 is going to be available for us to fire tomorrow so it should be a learning experience to say the least. Pretty sure I'm dead set on the M&P though

In my opinion, I think a person would be better off with a 9mm over the 40. My reasons are 1) with the right ammo, it's just as effective as the 40. From what I've heard from my friend / x-cop - "The federal 147 grain subsonic 9mm is an OUTSTANDING man stopper". 2) beats the gun up less. 3) cheaper ammo 4) faster follow up shots. 5) holds more rounds

I've got a S&W 9c in the mail somewhere but I don't have any shooting experience with it. Holding them at the gun show, it felt better than anything else.. they also come with 3 back straps S, M, & L.

If you're set on the 40 though, it's a great round too.

dv
    "A right unexercised is a right lost."

www.myspace.com/dvickery

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links