M&P Compact, Honest Opinions? - Page 4

M&P Compact, Honest Opinions?

This is a discussion on M&P Compact, Honest Opinions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Duff, Please let us know how that session went. I'd love to hear which other sub/compacts shoot great. I heard the P2000sk is a great ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: M&P Compact, Honest Opinions?

Duff,
    Please let us know how that session went. I'd love to hear which other sub/compacts shoot great. I heard the P2000sk is a great shooter too, if shot one, let me know how that went.

Duff,

I purchased my 40c some time mid 2007 -- the serial number is MPN xxx. I've also noticed that when firing strong hand only it's very easy to brush the mag release and drop the magazine unless you have a death grip on the pistol. The slightest pressure on the release will drop the mag.

I really do like the 40c -- it's very accurate, has softer felt recoil than a Glock 23, and fits my hand really well. However, since it's not 100% reliable, I just don't trust it for carry. As with any new gun, I recommend running a few hundred rounds through it before carrying.

Good luck with your 40c!

I have the M&P9C, and think it's good to go. I carry the Gold Dot 124gr +p.

I'm only up to about 200 rounds, but it has yet to fail in any way. I followed the instructions on the Burwell Gunsmith website, and cleaned up the trigger pull a bit. I also swapped out my mag catch spring for a little stiffer chiunk of wire.

I believe it's going to be a good pistol.

I have an M&P40 and love it!!!!!

Range Report:

Not as many people showed up as we had originally planned, but I still got to fire the main ones I was looking forward to firing.

Springfield Armory XD40 - Handled great, got a pretty good grouping with it, but the trigger is still slightly to stiff for what I was looking for

Springfield Armory XD9 - Also handled great, but for a 9mm that thing had almost as much recoil as the XD40, and again the trigger pull wasn't up to what I was looking for

Glock 27: Even with the mag extension on there, was still a little too short for my grip, but other than that I loved the way it fired. I may in the future end up with a full frame glock of some sort, but definitely not a compact

Smith & Wesson M&P40c with some honing done to the trigger: Beautiful grouping, all 10 shots were within 3mm of touching each other on the target at about 21ft downrange, less recoil than the XD40 and the Glock23, felt about the same as the XD9 as far as recoil goes. The owner of the gun did have the slide lock problem once out of 200 rounds fired today though, but that was the only downfall.

I think it's pretty much set in stone that when the tax refund gets deposited, there's going to be a M&P40c hiding beneath my shirt
    Last edited by Duff; February 24th, 2008 at 08:53 PM.

Thank you for this post, Duff. You have helped me decide what I wanted, as I have held (not shot) all 3 of the above guns you just wrote about and the S&W was my favorite of the bunch.

I have the 9C and it shoots great. No problems with mag release and none with the mag release button. Some folks here may have some really large thumbs. The compact 45 is due out in March. May also be worth a look for you. Then again if you hurry you can buy the 40 this month, then the 45 next mo. I plan on adding one to my humble abode for my 60 and 1/2 birthday. Hey if you gotta have a reason we can always find one.

Another 40C owner. I was a huge fanboy for the gun for the first 400 rounds... then it all started to unravel... mag drops began. S&W sent a new mag catch. Worked for a while. Then mag drops. Sent the gun back to S&W for the first time. They replaced the catch and returned the gun. Again, fine for a while, then the drops began again. Then another trip to S&W. Another mag catch. It's all a blur to me now... a bunch of mag catches... seemingly resolved... then problems again. Last trip back to S&W they replaced the frame. So far, so good at 300 rounds. But at this point, it will take a lot of reliable shooting before confidence will be earned back. So I carry other guns while I gingerly, over time, feed the ammo money & time into long term reliability testing of the new frame. At this point, I will need at least 1000 rounds, 1500 is better, without any mag drop problems and without finding any noteworthy wear on the mag catch engagement surface before I feel I can trust the 40 C again as a defense gun. Many people loudly and widely proclaim that S&W has "fixed" the problem. Well... *perhaps* they have on the very latest samples, but there are still a number of owners with problems posting on MP-Pistol.com in the Tech Difficulties folder.

Aside from the mag drop problem, I think the gun is really nice and has some excellent qualities. But reliability is the NUMBER ONE quality I must have in a carry/defense gun. So for now, at least, I have to with-hold my recommendation on the M&P. As another poster here said, give it a couple more years and then buy a BRAND NEW PRODUCTION sample.... if the mag drop problems aren't gone by then, I would give up on this model.

Installing a heavier mag release spring is a highly advisable mod with the M&P, regardless of whether you've had mag drop problems or not. As many have noted here and elsewhere, the mag drop button releases exceptionally easy... too easily for a defense gun. Visit here and buyer beware:

MP-Pistol.com :: View Forum - M&P Pistol Tech Difficulties

Again, this is potentially a great gun, but the mag catch sensitivity is a major issue to be hyper aware of if you're going to trust this gun for defense use. There are excellent threads on the MP-Pistol forum for advise on this gun.
    Last edited by DHart; February 25th, 2008 at 09:07 PM.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    I have the 9C and it shoots great. No problems with mag release and none with the mag release button. Some folks here may have some really large thumbs.
    Yes, that's it. Your pistol works fine, so these numerous M&P Compact pistols that are having the magazine drop failures are all the result of people with really big thumbs. Defective people, not defective pistols. Wow, glad we finally got a solid answer on the problem! Heaven knows that S&W has such a solid reputation for producing fine semiautomatic pistols.

Funny how Glock, Ruger, Springfield, Sig, Beretta, H&K, Bersa, Taurus, FN, Colt, Browning, CZ, and several other makers have no problem with their pistols dropping magazines during a string of fire. Must be some kind of quality control thing.

Forgive me if I seem a bit testy. I don't take kindly to losing good money on a supposedly "quality" product, especially one intended for self-defense. Especially after giving the company TWO chances and WANTING to love and trust this pistol.

What angers me most is the M&P COULD be an awesome pistol, given its far superior ergonomics. But the extent of all the different kinds of problems reported by owners of these pistols makes it clear to me that quality parts are not being used, and defective pistols are still getting out of the factory. My experience is living proof to me.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Metro 40 - It's OK to be testy. I'm cool with your reply but honestly I was not making fun of the mag dropping issue but was only injecting a little humor on the mag rel button being accidentally "hit/activated" under normal operation which may just depend how you grip your gun.
    I understand that we spend a lot of money for an item that we expect to be reliable and it stands to reason that having a problem would **** anyone off, especially when your life may depend on it.
    Don't think I haven't thought that although I don't currently have a problem I pray that it don't become one when I really need it!

Actually, I revoke my response! I read numerous things about these guns and mags dropping out of them, doesnt sound like something I want to carry! Coughed up the extra $$ and bought a XD Sub Comp 40. :)

Quote Originally Posted by ross8428 View Post
    Actually, I revoke my response! I read numerous things about these guns and mags dropping out of them, doesnt sound like something I want to carry! Coughed up the extra $$ and bought a XD Sub Comp 40. :)
    Oh you mean the pistol whose grip safety causes the gun to lock up?

My point? No pistol is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Whyveear View Post
    Oh you mean the pistol whose grip safety causes the gun to lock up?

My point? No pistol is perfect.
    True. I read much less instances of that as opposed to the magazine dropping out of the M&P. Personally, if I can conceal it well enough, I will be wearing my Gp100 most of the time. In the winter, I will be wearing that no question. It was the whole summer month part that had me wanting a smaller framed gun.

Awesome. You did your research and made an informed decision based on what made most sense to you. No better way to do it.

No failures of any kind on mine.

I compared the XD9sc and the M&P9c side by side three times before buying the M&P. I'm not sorry I did.

12 rounds mag capacity not 10.
    Still shorter, indicating a lower bore axis.
    3.5 inch barrel not 3 for a slichtly better sight radius and slightly better velocity.
    Two free mags and a $50 rebate from S&W, yet to be delivered, however.
    Far better fit to my hand. FAR!
    A more radiused design is likely to conceal better.
    Easier trigger improvements.
    Cool "Insured by S&W" sticker included.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links