M&P Compact, Honest Opinions?

This is a discussion on M&P Compact, Honest Opinions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking very seriously into buying a M&P40 Compact as my first concealed carry gun. From what I understand, the M&P series is a fairly ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: M&P Compact, Honest Opinions?

I'm looking very seriously into buying a M&P40 Compact as my first concealed carry gun. From what I understand, the M&P series is a fairly new platform so I've not been able to find many reviews of these specific firearms. Those of you who have personally owned one for some time, if you could post up the ups and downs of your M&P I'd greatly appreciate the input. Thanks in advance!

Senior Moderator
    I have an M&P 9c, which I carry frequently.

Keep an eye on the magazine catch, because some of them have had problems with dropping the magazine unintentionally.

Smith & Wesson has changed the catch and supposedly the problem is solved.

Other than that, mine's been great. Reliable, accurate, and easy to shoot. Trigger is a touch gritty out of the box, but it smoothes out nicely after a few boxes downrange.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

A friend of mine has the M&P 40 cal. The mag catch is placed where you can't help but depress it when you are shooting. He sent it back three times to get it fixed and the third time they replaced the frame. It seems to be OK now but he does not trust it as a defensive weapon. IMHO its unproven and I would not get one for CCW. (I shot it a few times not knowing the problem and had the same results).

I didn't notice any interference with the magazine release while I was firing the rental M&P at the range yesterday. Gives me more reason to go rent it again to double check that possible problem lol

Senior Moderator
    The mag release can be moved to the other side, and actuated with the middle finger of the shooting hand, if one is so disposed.

Those used to the H&K USP style release will be right at home with it.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

M&P 9C approx 1200 rounds FLAWLESS!!! No mag issues. Does exactly what its intended to do. Easy to shoot, accurate, a bit too large for my liking to carry all the time. Good cover with winter jacket, tough with anything else.

V8
    I've had mine (9 Compact) for a few months and have only shot about 400 rounds through it. The first thing I noticed at the range was that it is very point-able and more natural to me than any other auto that I've shot, (personal preference). The recoil seems to be less that my Ruger P95.

On the other hand mine also had a very gritty trigger. I used some #7 polishing compound to polish it up a bit and now it's fine. Only took about 15 min to do. If you do some digging around you'll find that not all M&P's have that problem, you should find one that feels smooth at the shop.

To date the only problems I've had, have been that the slide has not stayed open after the last round was fired. This has only happened 2-3 times. I think that it's possibly a ammo issue rather than a problem with the gun.

I looked at the Kahr PM9, Springfield XD, Glock 19, and a CZ 75 compact. All of which are great firearms. For me the selling point of the M&P was how it fit me and the reviews that I read.

Do I like it? Yes. Will you? I don't know.

Check out this forum you can find lots of good info there and won't have to join first. MP-Pistol.com :: Home

Great info! Thanks V8

i have had mine for over a year now. it was one of the first ones i saw at the local fun store. i have put well over 1000 rnds through it. the mag has never fallen out , nor have i had a malfunction of any kind. i wish crimson trace would bring out the grips for the compact, but other than that i am totally happy.
    if you are going to carry it look into the mtac from comp-tac. it carries the compact very well.

M&P 9c since July 2007

Mine has worked flawlessly. Zero issues. No problem with mag or trigger.

I finally settled on the M&P on the recommendation of a local sheriff's deputy. Several of the local law enforcement agencies have issued M&P 40's.

YMMV...
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him,
    but because he loves what is behind him."

- G.K. Chesterton [ 1874 - 1936 ]

Administrator
    I wouldnt mind the 9mm, I probably wouldnt buy a 40 in that gun just yet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I limpwristed round #1. No problems after 400 rounds. Never had the mag drop, but I have kept the slide lock from engaging if my thumbs ride up (bad habit).

Trigger was gritty but smoothed out.

More details here
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

my wife just picked a M&P9c out over the weekend to be her carry gun. we've both shot it and both love it. i didn't notice any issues with the mag catch. it's a great little gun.

I have a compact .40 which is my EDC. I love it. I have a couple thousand rounds through it, and not a single malfunction. Very smooth for a compact .40. I keep an eye on my mag release and it still looks brand new. I also use a proper grip so I don't have a problem inadvertently hitting the mag release.

Quote Originally Posted by Whyveear View Post
    I have a compact .40 which is my EDC. I love it. I have a couple thousand rounds through it, and not a single malfunction. Very smooth for a compact .40. I keep an eye on my mag release and it still looks brand new. I also use a proper grip so I don't have a problem inadvertently hitting the mag release.
    Same here! I love mine also.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links