Help Needed & Picture Request

This is a discussion on Help Needed & Picture Request within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to get another gun but can't decide between the Kahr MK40 or the Walther PPK. I know those are in 2 totally ...

View Poll Results: Which gun if you were me?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Walther PPK (stainless)

24 39.34%
  • Kahr MK40 (Stainless)

37 60.66%

Thread: Help Needed & Picture Request

I am going to get another gun but can't decide between the Kahr MK40 or the Walther PPK. I know those are in 2 totally diff arena but Here's the deal.

I have a Kahr PM9 and a Keltec 380. both small and easy to carry. keltec was bought to carry as backup.

I like the MK40 for a heavier defense round while maintaining a very small and light carry package. The PPK, is probably the coolest handgun in my opinion and I would just be getting it becuase of the lust factor. I love that gun. but the MK40 is cool also.

So, what would you do?? I know this is personal but I guess what I am asking is - Is a 40 that much better than a 9 (if you already have a 9) to justify not getting a gun you've alwasy wanted? \

Would I be much better off by having some diversity with a carry .40 - Is there really that much practical difference between a 9 and a 40? (w/o gettign into a cal war). I've researched and researched and the caliber debate is endless. I can shoot both well and control both 9 and 40. So Should I feel that much safer with a 40 vs a 9mm. Again, this would ONLY be the reason for getting the Kahr.

OR do I go with the gun I love and have always wanted even though it would be the biggest gun in my collection (of course, I could still carry it comfortably).

lastly, I would love to see some pics of these guns if you can post them.

Lead Moderator
    Well, unless something has changed , the PPK is a .380 cal. or short 9mm. Yes there is much difference in .40 and .380 as far as velocity, penetration and bullet weight.
    Either gun may serve you well , guess it all comes down to what you like or are comfortable with. Difference between 9mm and .40 , some but I would feel o. k. with either caliber for self defense (with modern HP's).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

PPK and 9mm vs. .40

As Rocky said, the Walther PPK is a .380, not a 9mm. The .380 caliber is much less potent than 9mm. Typical .380 ballistics are a 90 grain bullet at 1000 fps. Typical 9mm ballistics are a 147 grain bullet at 1000 fps, or a 115 grain bullet at 1300 fps. Below is a picture of my PPK .380:

With respect to the stopping power of 9mm vs. .40, you have to specify the particular type of ammo to make a good comparison. But to take two examples, go to the Winchester Ranger page below:

Winchester Ranger Ammo gelatin tests

And compare their numbers on their 9mm and .40 caliber products with respect to penetration and expansion. I think you will find that there is not much difference, as both calibers tend to penetrate about 13 to 14 inches in ballistic gelatin and expand to .65 to .70 inches in diameter. So if both calibers make the same size hole in the same material (which simulates human tissue), does it really matter which you choose? The whole point of shooting something is to make a hole in it, and bigger holes (deeper, wider) are better for stopping.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Love my MK40. I carry it daily. Nice round for self defense, nice heavy gun for help with managing recoil. Great shooter. Be warned, recoil can be a little stout because of the size of the round compared to the size of the gun, but I find it to be more than easy to manage. This gun absolutely disappears no matter what I am wearing. They ship this nice, pretty stainless steel gun with a plastic guide rod, plastic works fine, but why use plastic in a stainless gun? For a few dollars I dropped in a stainless guide rod, and I am very happy. The amount of difference between a 380 and a 40 is quite a bit. I have 2 bersa thunders which are basically copies of the ppk. I love those guns and my wife carries one daily. I imagine I would enjoy a ppk as well. However, for self defense, 380 seems a little weak (yes the wife and I discussed this, but she refuses to carry anything else). If you are considering both, I would definetly go for the Kahr. Better sd round, great gun, easily concealable, feels solid, great trigger(Kahrs are knowne for having smooth triggers).
    Last edited by Jaystekan; February 21st, 2008 at 09:44 PM.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

I understand your "lust" for a PPK. It is a classic. But it would end up being a safe queen, mine is. Also it has a 1920's DA trigger. Long and gritty and it stacks. No big deal up close and personal. So if you want a PPK to appreciate the history it represents and to admire its good looks, go for it. James Bond would approve.

On the other hand, if you want a damned fine carry gun, go with the MK40. It doesn't get much better.

Who wouldn't want the classic 'Bond' gun. But to carry, since I beleive that they are fairly close in size(someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not too familiar with the Kahr's) I would go with the .40 personally. Actually if it were me I would go with a small 9mm. But again, that's just me.

Of those two the Kahr gets my vote.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I own a Walther PPK, and a MK9. Before I bought the MK9, I shot the MK40. IMHO you will be happier with the 9mm. The .40 wants to jump out of your hand and you get shorted 1 round. My MK9 is my primary carry weapon. I use Gold Dot 124gn +p for carry and never feel under gunned. The .380acp is not my 1st choice for reliable neutralization of a target in a life or death situation
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

Quote Originally Posted by bluesteel View Post
    I own a Walther PPK, and a MK9. Before I bought the MK9, I shot the MK40. IMHO you will be happier with the 9mm. The .40 wants to jump out of your hand and you get shorted 1 round. My MK9 is my primary carry weapon. I use Gold Dot 124gn +p for carry and never feel under gunned. The .380acp is not my 1st choice for reliable neutralization of a target in a life or death situation
    Good info. See my dilema is I already have a Kahr PM9, which is just about the smallest high quality 9 you can buy. In fact it's smaller than the PPK in every dimension -That is my primary Carry gun.

My decision is I have the oppertunity to get another carry gun. Do I go for the PPK becuase I have always like them OR do I go for an MK40 becuase it would be an increase in Self Defense caliber carry gun?

I am torn.

I have a Kahr p9 and a PPK. Both are great. Were I you, I'd go with the PPK for three reasons. First, you are not going to like shooting a little bitty .40, even the steel version. And the upshot is that you won't shoot it as much.

Second, a PPK is iconic. It is a design that has been around for nearly 80 years and remains popular. Other than a 1911, which is older and a High Power, which is younger, I cannot think of another pistol in that catagory. Were I you, I would be looking for one in .32acp (or 7.65 as the Europeans would say) simply because that is the original chambering. But that is just me.

Third, nothing touches a PPK in "coolness." In a world of mud ugly squared polymer guns, the PPK shines with the radiance of the sun. There is no more beautiful pistol. And think about this- Which gun would you wear with a tuxedo?
    Dieu et les Dames

MK40, easily my first choice

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I have a kahr cw40 and a k40 covert. They don't jump out of your hand or bite you like some others keep describing. Very manageble guns. My only complaint about them is the crappy triggers, but kahr has that on all of their guns. .40 s&w is good jump up from 9mm for defensive purposes.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Hey how about forgetting both and stick with what you have. Promote your P3AT to main carry. The key words here are "concealed carry." If you are using yours as your back up then you already carry it more concealed than your main carry weapon. A P3AT is more than concealed carry but just next to invisible carry! Maybe its not as purty as a PPK but you most likely won't ever leave home with a empty pocket!

Links