Could Not Resist It!!!

This is a discussion on Could Not Resist It!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This afternoon, I went to the range to give a little workout to my Colt Detective Special that just returned from the factory. (I bought ...

Thread: Could Not Resist It!!!

Could Not Resist It!!!

This afternoon, I went to the range to give a little workout to my Colt Detective Special that just returned from the factory. (I bought the gun used and it was badly out of time).
    When finished, I browsed the gun shop as usual, and ---- lo and behold, there was a NIB, Colt 1911, .38 Super in the showcase!! The pistol is a 5" in 'polished' stainless steel!!! The price was unbelievable, so the gun now resides in my safe!! (I am a Colt 'nut' and get weak in the knees when I pick one up!!).

What say you about the viability of a 1911, .38 Super for a defense pistol?? 10 rds of 130grs. going nearly 1300fps intrigues me a lot!!!
    Further --- What can you tell me about the Colt Custom Shop "El Cen" run of these pistols? Are they limited?? (They're certainly very nice!!)
    Thanks!
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    You certainly can't knock the math on the .38 Super... although I don't think I usually see ammunition available 'off the shelf'. Are good HP's available?

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    It is a reloaders dream!!!
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Pics, Desperado, we desperately need pics to share the love!
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Its flat shooting and can be loaded up into the .357mag range ... what's not to love (I don't know why this caliber isn't more popular for a self defense gun).

Downside is there isn't a lot of factory ammo available so if you have one you really need to reload.

I have a photo or two but they're too large to send in this forum. It's a beautiful firearm!! It was on consignment and the price was way low!! I'm lucky to have spotted it. (Call me Mr. Happy!!)

I don't know about 'carry ammo' but I did pick up a box of FMJ with the gun. I will probably just reload for it as I do for my other handguns --- for practice. Really would rather find a source for factory ammo for carry.

The .38 Super is a fine defensive load. You can do a lot with that caliber by reloading. You made an excellent buy.

Let's see some pics!

And you just can't say "the price was unbelievable" and let it go at that......come on, spill!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnutty View Post
    It is a reloaders dream!!!
    I agree! Had that very pistol and had some loads for 1500 fps...very hot loads with .357 results. Extremely accurate also.

Congrats!
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

1943 - 2009
    Great find! A Colt Government Model .38 Super is on my short list of "to get" items.

Look here for JHP ammo:

Outdoor Marksman Corporation & BUYAMMO.COM

What can you tell me about the Colt Custom Shop "El Cen" run of these pistols?
    Only what Colt's web site shows. Doesn't appear that the "El Cen" is a limited run.

Colt 38 Super

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

.38 Super

I believe the .38 super caliber dates back to 1928 or so, when it was introduced by Colt as an alternative to the .45 ACP in 1911 style pistols. It became very popular during the 1930's with law enforcement because of its penetration abilities against auto bodies and other barriers.

I believe that the .357 magnum was introduced later by S&W as a revolver alternative to the .38 Super, because Colt was so successful with the .38 Super.

When you look at the 130 grain, 1300 fps ballistics of .38 Super, it seems to be right in there with .357 Sig or 9mm +P+ in performance. The case on the .38 Super is long, and can be loaded with a fair amount of powder. But the sales of the gun and the ammo in recent years have been rather slow, and it has become a secondary caliber compared to others.

I have one gun in this caliber, but it is a safe queen that doesn't get shot, so I don't own any of the ammo.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

And you just can't say "the price was unbelievable" and let it go at that......come on, spill!
    How does $895 sound??? Yeah --- I know --- could not believe my eyes!!!

I think the .38 Super came out in 1929. It has begun to 'revive' in recent years. I understand that it's real popular with ISPCA shooters?? Accurate and flat shooting. I'm going to enjoy the pistol for sure!!!

Captain Crunch ---- thanks for the research!!

Yep --- that's the gun. Bright Stainless.

I'll save the source for HP ammo too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    How does $895 sound??? Yeah --- I know --- could not believe my eyes!!!

I think the .38 Super came out in 1929. It has begun to 'revive' in recent years. I understand that it's real popular with ISPCA shooters?? Accurate and flat shooting. I'm going to enjoy the pistol for sure!!!
    Wow. Nice!

Links