Walther PPK or PPK/S BLUE

This is a discussion on Walther PPK or PPK/S BLUE within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have the blue version of the PPK or the PPS/S?? It appears black to me in pics. Is it? Can someone post pictures of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPK or PPK/S BLUE

Walther PPK or PPK/S BLUE

Anyone have the blue version of the PPK or the PPS/S?? It appears black to me in pics. Is it? Can someone post pictures of it if they have some or post some links to pictures where I can get a better look at it. I could not find much on the net. Would love to see a comparison pic of the blue and stainless but will take whatever I can see.

2. Remove Ads

It is blue

I have a blue PPK, and the finish is definitely blue and not black:

Here it is next to a stainless gun:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Thanks for the pic. Do you have a pic with the PPK next to a black gun?? Just trying to figuere it out. Did you pick that over the stainless? if so any reason?? I always like the stainless but the blue looks pretty cool!!

bump.

Anymore pics of the blue PPK, preferrably next to a black gun?? !

Administrator
    I doubt you will be able to see the difference in a photo, its hard enough in person.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Belated answer

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    Thanks for the pic. Do you have a pic with the PPK next to a black gun?? Just trying to figuere it out. Did you pick that over the stainless? if so any reason?? I always like the stainless but the blue looks pretty cool!!
    I just noticed your question to me from a week ago - I hadn't revisited this thread. I don't have a pic of the blue PPK next to a black gun - sorry.

I didn't actually pick the blue over stainless, as I bought the blue gun because I saw it for sale at a good price. I like both blue and stainless, and have guns in both finishes. You have to be a little more careful with blue regarding rust or scratches, however. I have seen stainless PPKs and they look pretty nice, as well. The guns I mainly use for carry tend to be stainless or hard chrome, as these finishes hold up better over time and don't scratch in the holster as much. An example would be the Kahr MK9 shown in my photo above.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Sponsor
    jwalker497,

Anyone have the blue version of the PPK or the PPS/S??

1 blue ppk/'s
    1 stainless ppk

Both Interarms imports, made by Walther.

I actually carried both of them today [ one on each side with a spare mag in the back pocket ] as I'm not working the gun shop today and while riding my motorcycle cruising the countryside.

As pogo2 stated, it's blue not black in reality. The stainless will be easier to maintain and not as prone to surface rust. This series of pistols have been one of the most accurate handguns I've ever fired. It's the fixed barrel design that's responsible for that accuracy potential.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

If I go with the blue, should I be worried about rust and the finish wearing off?? Would this be a reason not to purchase the blue?? I do intend to carry it.

Sponsor
    If I go with the blue, should I be worried about rust and the finish wearing off??

Not just this gun but any blued gun is going to show wear on the high spots/edged/end of the barrel, etc if carried. Blued steel is about the least resistant of any finish I can think of right now to rusting.

If you like the looks of blue, it WILL wear, but I wouldn't worry too much about the rust potential, keep up with your maintenance on the firearm [ any blued gun ] and you'll probably not have problems.

Brownie

I've got a black one from the eighties (interarms) that's barely been shot. (maybe 100 rds) I love it...a little heavy by todays standards for a gun that size, but it conceals like nobodys business. I have to say though it really is black. I've got plenty of blued guns but this thing is as black as a black steers tucas on moonless prairie night. The finish matches the black plastic handles perfectly.

This is an actual working gun. I carried it a bit as my 2nd on duty and quite a bit off duty. It's been reblued once. I've run about 5K thru it. The guy I got it from thought he'd run somewhere between 7K and 10K. It feeds everything and is a great shooter.

183 FBINA

Sponsor
    ispcapt,

It's certainly a working gun, it's loaded and ready to go there in that photo. Nice piece, I've had several over the decades and carried one as a backup for a time myself.

Brownie

Upon further review.....................It really depends on if the light is directly hitting it or not!! When I just put it up to the flourecent (sp?) light it's a midnight blue. Still...it's much darker than those in pogos pics, and you really have to look closely. At first glance though, you'd swear it was black. I've had it all these years and thought it was black!!! Time to update these contacts!! It's the darkest blueing I've ever seen...period.

Well, I put an order in for the black. I am a little worried about the upkeep, though. What is involved with maintaining a blued gun?? Is it a lot of work?

My wife carried a PPKS and loves it. A great shooter...just need a litlte more horse power.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links