My first carry gun

This is a discussion on My first carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday was a happy 21st for me. Springfield Armory Mil-Spec, parkerized. All mine now. It's the first 1911 I ever shot, and now the first ...

Thread: My first carry gun

My first carry gun

Yesterday was a happy 21st for me. Springfield Armory Mil-Spec, parkerized. All mine now.

It's the first 1911 I ever shot, and now the first one I've ever owned. Only had the time to put one box through at the range, minus a full mag's worth, but otherwise it was ninety-three squeezes of the trigger and ninety-three bangs. What a pleasant handgun to shoot; I can't imagine how long I'd have to shoot before getting fatigue.

However, as this gun isn't meant to be just a range toy, I've recognized two things that have to change for it to be a dedicated carry gun: grips and sights. The Pachmayr grips (the only thing on the gun not "stock) are very nice, and offer a very sure grip. However, they're fairly thick, and more importantly the rubber seems to catch shirt material and cause printing that wouldn't otherwise happen. The sights are alright, but they seem to catch clothing when drawing.

So now is where I ask you all a couple questions. What type of grips would you suggest to replace the Pachmayr ones? What kind of low-profile sighs would you recommend replace the stock Mil-Spec sights?

Thanks in advance; now I can see why the 1911's made friends in its day.

-B
    Last edited by BAC; February 21st, 2008 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Love Firefox spellcheck...

2. Remove Ads

Good for you! The main reason the full size 1911 is a pleasure to shoot is it's heft and weight distribution IMO. I really think the 1911 is still the best platform for the 45acp, and it was designed to be----well, next to my SIG P220 of course. Enjoy! I'm so close to getting another 1911, it aint even funny. The Springfield, Rock Island, and the Taurus will all be in the running. Give it six months. I've actually held my previous 1911 model pistols more than any others. Sometimes for the simple reasons of just holding them--the are so natural.

Happy birthday and congratulations! I was thinking you must have some mighty big hands to wrap around those Pachs AND an arched MSH! My favorite grips are from Alumagrips and VZ Grips. Both are functional, durable, and good looking. For a heavy use 1911, I've been using a set of VZ's black blasted canvas Gatorgrips for several years. The Alumagrips may be the best choice for non-stick concealed carry, but I do both. I'll leave the sight issue to someone who knows the Springfield cut.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Wow! Happy 1911 returns.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Congrats
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I've got Ahrends Tactical Stocks in Gaboon Ebony on my Loaded Champ. They would work well for you. They offer a quick purchase and once you have your hand around the grip they're sticky enough.

As for sights, I'd go with some Novak dovetail nightsights.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    It's the first 1911 I ever shot, and now the first one I've ever owned. Only had the time to put one box through at the range, minus a full mag's worth, but otherwise it was ninety-three squeezes of the trigger and ninety-three bangs. What a pleasant handgun to shoot; I can't imagine how long I'd have to shoot before getting fatigue.
    Congratulations on the new pistol. Very nice.

One thing, though. It looks from this post like you are carrying FMJ (perhaps WWB, given the 100 round box) for defense?

I'd suggest you reconsider, and obtain either some quality JHP that feed well in your gun, or else some EFMJ loads.

Over-penetration is a valid concern with FMJ loads, and you don't want to shoot your assailant *and* whatever is behind him.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Grips

If you want the thinnest grips that do not grab at your cover garment, I would recommend the thin Alumagrips, which reduce the grip thickness by 0.20 inches on a 1911, from about 1.25 inches to 1.05 inches.

Alumagrips website

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

A few grip sites I have come across in my internet travels:
    Exotic Grips by Esmeralda
    Collins Craft Handmade Pistol Grips
    Alumagrips

Edit: Just noticed this thread running a grips. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ips-black.html
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Congratulations.......no sense in doing things halfway!

I'm gonna agree with Matt though. Pls don't carry FMJ's in that .45. You're losing way too much defensive capability, and risking over-penetration that could cause danger to others in a defensive situation.

Very nice 1911, happy belated b-day!!!!
    Glock Perfection
    "A right not used is a right lost" -Unknown

Give it a good work out with a few hundred rounds of your defense loads to make sure it's ready to run.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Great gun ! Try good hollow points first. If your carry gun doesn't like hollow point then by all means carry ball. Better ball than nothing at all. The venerable .45 ball killed many enemy during WWI, WWII, Korea, 'Nam, etc.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Husker, I didn't notice that about the MSH until I actually looked at mine compared to others here. Depending on how I like whatever grips I end up with, I'll probably swap that out when I remove the ILS (which serves me no purpose).

Matt, you're correct about the ammunition choice, but keep in mind that it was the first chance I've had to shoot the gun and I haven't had the opportunity to go shopping for more appropriate defensive ammo. It was a quick trip to Wal-Mart and to the range after school. Today I'll have time to stock up on better ammo though, as well as submit my CCL paperwork.

-B

Links