Defensive Carry banner

I'M NOT GONNA BE ABLE TO SHOOT TODAY! Shoot! #$%&!

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Tangle 
#1 ·
I know how disappointing this is gonna be for everyone, but I realized only this morning that I have an eye appointment at 3:40pm (that's 15:40 real time).

I get out of school today at 3:00pm (that's 15:00 real time) at and had planned to go to Walmart, pick up 1000 9mm rounds and go shoot 200-300 rounds of it. I don't have time to shoot before my appointment and won't be able to see to shoot afterwards (eye dilation). :cool: Ooooo! I could shoot in the dark! No wait, that's no good, I'll be all the way across town from the range; oh well, another day maybe - like tomorrow! Or maybe some of you guys could go today, since I can't.

I had cataract surgery in my left eye almost two weeks ago. If you want to know how I'm doing, I can still see really good out of my right eye. :wink:

Actually, I am eager to see (no pun intended) what the doctor finds today. I really don't have good vision in my left eye, but it may just be a matter of time. Or, he may have to replace the lens with a different power. :eek:

Anyway, you'll just have to wait until tomorrow after I shoot to know what the best gun is for everyone to carry. :wink:

See less See more
#3 ·
Hate it when (shooting) plans go south! I guess we'll have to be patient tho until you get back to the range. :wink:

How easily we can tend to take vision for granted when younger - makes you realize what a blessing good sight is. Mine is way off its original performance but what I do have I treasure. Hope that left can be improved some.

#6 ·
AirForceShooter said:
before you shoot ask your Doc if it's ok.
I'm serious.
The recoil can screw you up.

AFS
Too late to ask!

rocky said:
Good luck, BTW, It's 1540 and 1500 . no : in mil. time.
I knew that! Sorry, my bad!

You guys are the greatest! Don't forget to shoot some for me; and don't make me look bad either! :biggrin:

Well, I better go teach Electrical Circuits I. :rolleyes:

#8 ·
I appear to be in a holding pattern on the eye. It may "zero" in, it may not. Gotta go back in about 2 weeks.

Plannin' to go shooting today! Sig 226 ST, H&K USP, P2000 LEM with reduced trigger rebound spring, and Sig 229R DAK. It's gonna be fun!

I was a little disappointed with the P2000 last week because I didn't shoot it as accurately as the other two guns. So, just to satisfy my curiosity, I changed out the trigger rebound spring. The reduced power trigger rebound spring (actually it's a USP trigger rebound spring) reduces the trigger break from a bit over 8 pounds to a bit under 6 pounds.

When I dry fire it, the trigger return seems...well, different, not sharp. But I'll see today.

Man, guns and shooting are fun!!!!

#10 ·
I have a premonition that I'll enjoy shooting my Sig 226 ST so much that I'll feel compelled to post a blow-by-blow, post shoot report in my trademark "Tangle length" style. :biggrin:

Didn't you go plate hunting or something yesterday? How'd that go?

#11 ·
Yep - steel plates, with .22's.

Unfortunately not many came out - often we have 14 - 16. The few of us tho did shoot thru some ammo just for practice as we had no timer - still enjoyable and I came back early - in good light. Still glad I could bike it as it's a 70 miles RT.

Awaiting the ''tangle-length'' post shoot de-briefing LOL!

#12 ·
P95Carry said:
Yep - steel plates, with .22's.

Unfortunately not many came out - often we have 14 - 16. The few of us tho did shoot thru some ammo just for practice as we had no timer - still enjoyable and I came back early - in good light. Still glad I could bike it as it's a 70 miles RT.

Awaiting the ''tangle-length'' post shoot de-briefing LOL!
Sounds like fun - I guess you worked up slowly to the full power .22 long rifle load :biggrin:

Well, this will come as a blow to many, but I can't post a post shoot debriefing. I did go shooting, shot 200 rounds of 9mm through a USP, 226 ST, 229R DAK, and P2000 LEM. But I did something wrong. :confused: The hits at both the near (21 feet) and far (50 feet) range indicated that I shot the H&K USP more accurately and faster than the Sig 226 ST and I know that can't be right. So I'll repeat the test next week. :rolleyes:

I think one thing that was wrong that may have messed up everything - it appears that the sights on the 229R DAK were off slightly and hence it shot just a wee bit to the right. And, that's why I think I was better with the USP than the Sig 226 ST :rolleyes:

Plus, I had two puppy dogs with me. In this case that means two guys I taught to shoot. Both bought guns and joined the indoor range. Puppy dogs because every time they find out I'm going shooting, they want to go. Follow me like puppy dogs, get it? I have to spend time oooing and aaahing over their shooting or they'll come and get me to if I don't. The things I do in the name of shooting! :wink: But, I'm glad they go, I'm glad they shoot regularly. Now if I can just get them to understand it's ok for them to go on their own.

I'm a little concerned about my H&K USP. It seems to make me shoot too good. Well, I guess you see how that could be a problem. I can see the sights better and quicker and hold it on target better even though it's one of the lighter guns. I sure hope it doesn't get any better as it breaks in - I may not be able to stand it. :wink:

And I would be remiss not to say a word about the 229R DAK trigger. I believe the "word" would be a toss up between WOW and SMOOOOOOTH. I must admit that I prefer the DAK trigger over all the guns I shot yesterday. It is a smooth, light pull with a surprise break. I think I need to adjust the sights just a bit because it does seem to be indexed to the right ever so slightly. Of course, it showed up more at 50 feet. Seemed to be ok at 21 feet. I suppose it could be that I'm getting a bit different sight picture at 50 feet (since I can't see). Oh well, more testing next week.

Oh yeah - the P2000 LEM. I'm sure the big question in everybody's mind is how did replacing the P2000 trigger rebound spring with a lighter USP trigger rebound spring work out? It was great. I could really feel the trigger pressure with the stock spring especially at longer ranges. The lighter spring made the trigger pull 2 pounds lighter (is now 6 pound break) and it felt much more "natural" to shoot and I didn't notice the trigger like before. I know one concern we all had was would the trigger still return and reset reliably and crisply? You can sleep better tonight knowing there was not one problem with the trigger reset.

So anyway that's why I can't post a post shoot debriefing; maybe next week though. :tongue:

#13 ·
That'll work Ron - but seems you are now in the horns of a dilemma, re what does better than others etc.

I'd guess this is all relative anyways - because you have there an assortment of fine pistolas. Just the ''edge'' one seems to have over the other.

Good re the puppies too - that counts for a lot - passing on the legacy etc. Nice. :smile:

#14 ·
"horns of a dilemma" - sounds painful, but that's just about it!

Seriously, regarding the guns, they are all excellent. One may excel one time and another another time - that's why I struggle with which one - I simply like them all. When I carry one, I always think it should be the others. Any one would be an excellent choice for me, and I'd certainly have to include Glock and 1911s in that same regard.

How else could such a dilemma be counted but as a blessing?

#15 ·
Only one real solution Ron - one rig left side for cross draw - one strong side conventional, sho rig with two holsters and maybe throw on an ankle rig too.

Thus - you carry 'em all LOL! :biggrin: :banana:

#16 ·
LOL!!! You may be on to something there! Why didn't I think of that? 'Course I'd want to avoid bodies of water that would be over my head 'cause I sure couldn't swim! Then again I could sink to the bottom and walk out.

And don't anybody tell me who won the football game; I taped it and am on my way home to watch it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.