Anyone here own a bersa 45?

This is a discussion on Anyone here own a bersa 45? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really like this gun in the satin nickel finish but haven't seen one in person yet,are these guns lightweight? Do they use an aluminum ...

I really like this gun in the satin nickel finish but haven't seen one in person yet,are these guns lightweight? Do they use an aluminum alloy frame like other bersa guns? For those of you who own them do they function well out of the box?

Yes they are fairly light. Do have the aluminum frame (some blackened) and yes, mines been PERFECT out of the box! Mine's Stainless though, not nickel. I like the black frame better than the nickel version. The nickel version almost looks 3-tone to me, ugly.

I've had one for about 1 1/2 years, several hundred rounds downrange and not 1 problem ever. Extra mags run around 40.00.
    My UC 45 is black, matte, or whatever you call it. I also have the Bersa full size 9mm in Nickle and I like the satin Nickle finish on it; I have read where you have to be carefully when using Hoppes #9 around it because it will attack the copper beneath the nickle; don't matter to me, its got a lifeime warranty. I think it weighs 27 oz. empty
    Last edited by dannyabear; February 22nd, 2008 at 10:41 PM. Reason: add info

I had a lot of FTF/FTE problems with my UC-45 when I first got it, but after replacing the original recoil springs and extractor, it's now had about 1,000 or so rounds through it with no problems. It's a very easy gun to shoot and accurate, but it's a heavy little pistol and a bit "chunky". My UC-45 has a CAT laser installed (made specifically for the UC-45/9) and is my bedroom gun. Because it's not a regular "carry" gun, the weight and shape aren't a problem. FWIW, I have owned both a Bersa UC-9 and UC-45 for about 4 years, shooting about 2,000 and 1,500 rds through the guns respectively. Essentially, they are exactly the same gun though the UC-45 has a slightly larger frame & slide (making swapping most parts impossible) to accommodate the larger caliber bullet. While most people wouldn't notice the size difference at a quick glance, it's obvious in a side-by-side comparison.

During the time I've owned the guns I've had ZERO failures of any kind with the 9mm pistol, it hit POA straight from the box at 10 yds and shows no more wear after 2,000+ rds than it did at 200 rds. It holds 13+1 rds of ammo vs. the 45's 7+1 mag capacity and they both (9 & 45) cost the same. If you check the forums, this customer satisfaction and lack of problems is the norm for literally everyone who owns a UC-9, so Bersa must be doing something right with the gun.

As I already said, my UC-45 had a lot of feed and ejection problems for the first several hundred rounds (at least one per magazine) and I almost sold it. However, after I replaced the 45's recoil springs - many early production UC-45's had notoriously weak recoil springs - and did some tweaking, I've experienced no problems. Most owners of UC-45's made after 2005 report no problems at all with FTF/FTE, at least as far as I know. Aside from the early FTF/FTE problems, the 45 has performed the same as the 9mm pistol. As a side note, 3" auto pistols in .45 ACP often appear to have spring related FTF/FTE problems and 1911's are particularlly sensitive if you read the complaints in many gun forums. I guess it involves the "timing" of the slide after the bullet is fred. The .45 ACP was originally designed for a 5" barreled pistol so it's often hard to get the proper spring design/rate in relation to the bullet & shorter barrel 3" length... so it's not a problem unique to Bersa.

While I like my UC-45, I personally prefer the 9mm. It holds twice as many rounds as the 45 and due to it's SLIGHTLY smaller frame, it fits my hand a bit better than the 45. FWIW, I consider my hand "average" in size and while the 45 is not too larger for me, I just feel more comfortable with the grip of the 9mm pistol. Either gun would serve you well and which you buy really is a matter of what you want in the gun. With the dramatic improvement in bullet designs over the past 20 years - particularly in self-defense ammo - the 9mm is probably just as good a self-defense round as the .45 ACP, especially when compared to the .45 ball ammo a lot of people still use. I prefer the UC-9 because it holds more ammunition and it's a better fit for my hand, but if you like a 45 caliber bullet, I could see no problem owning a UC-45 if you are comfortable with it. Both guns are EXCEPTIONAL values for the money and if you are left handed, you'll never find a more lefty friendly pistol!

"... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I don't need another concealable .45, but I am so impressed with the 2 compact 9's we bought recently that I may have to find room in the budget for a new Bersa compact .45!

Does anyone have anything negative to say about them?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Nope, as long as it is current manfacture.
    Check out "bersatalk.com" forums
    Very few complaints.

I don't know if I'd call them concealable. Not big, but not small either. The grip is a little chunky and fat. For the width and grip length I think it should be able to carry more rounds than it does. Mags are expensive. First round DA trigger reach is a bit long for me. Don't like it. You can cock the hammer and you're alright though.

Links