Is there a snake in my magazine ?

This is a discussion on Is there a snake in my magazine ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased my first XD .45 yesterday. Used (barely) for $399...is that a pretty fair deal? Not having shopped for them I'm unsure. Feels ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a snake in my magazine ?

Is there a snake in my magazine ?

I just purchased my first XD .45 yesterday. Used (barely) for $399...is that a pretty fair deal? Not having shopped for them I'm unsure.

Feels good compared to all my Glocks, especially my main carry, G29. Call me a snob...I'm still goin to carry the mighty 10mm everyday.

Question: Anyone have their full magazines rattle?
    Both of them do this.
    Should I be concerned?
    The weapon funtioned perfectly at the range last night.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

2. Remove Ads

I always give my loaded magazines a sharp 'rap' on the back in the weak hand palm to seat all of the rounds against the back of the mag. I think it's especially important for staggered/double stack magazines. Might try that. I know nothing of the XD or the magazines.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I have the XD 45 as well and both of my 13rnd mags rattle when you have more than 10 rounds in it. Almost everyone I have ever spoken with that owns the XD 45 with the 13rounders also rattle. Rapping doesnt seem to help. If you cant put up with it, the only way out I know of is to switch to 10 rounders or dont load the 13rnd mags to capacity.

Ahhh...thanks. The rattle doesn't bother me really...I just wanted to be sure some other issue wasn't in play.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

I took my mags apart trying to find out what the hell that rattle was.. drove me crazy..

the magazines for both my XD-9 and my XD-45 rattle when full, or when one round down from full. it's only a mild annoyance though. it isn't really that lound. could almost sound like keys or change in a pocket.

used to have the xd-9. don't recall any rattle but even still,whats causing
    the rattle??? haveyou tryed calling S.A. to see if they have any ideas.
    just a thought.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

If you don't shake 'em, they won't rattle.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Thats normal for most double stack mags. My SIG P229 would do it. The Beretta 96 mag would do it every now and then. What happens is as you're loading the mag, when it starts to open up to start the double stacking, a round will get loose between two rounds and will remain so. A tap with the weak hand or slamming the base of the mag on a table would sometimes fix it.

Note: not all double stack mags do it. But quite a few. I fixed my problem with a +10% extra power Wolffe magazine spring.

With my CZ-75, both my 10 rounders rattle when all 10 are loaded. As soon as a round is chambered (bringing the number in the mag to one less than capacity) this stops. They both function fine despite this. My 15 rounders for the same gun never rattle (and since they hold more rounds are the ones that actually get used). I don't really worry about it.

I've had magazines rattle before and it drives me nuts!! lol. I've heard of some using a pair of channel locks and squeezing the walls of the magazine together by the smallest little bit to stop the rattle. But I've never tried it and I'm not sure how that would effect function.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My 45 compact's magazines use to rattle. They don't do it anymore, don't know if they broke in or the ammo is seated right now. But this is common among the XD's
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    If you don't shake 'em, they won't rattle.
    uhhh...ok...then I'll have to walk like a....well, you know what.

At least I wouldn't be perceived as a threat.

mags

All five of my clips rattle on my xd.45 I also checked my fathers and his do as well.... My Berretta clips rattle as well. No clue what causes it.

kel tec p11 mags does this also. they have several fixes for it. i have found that the rounds about mid way down are the one that make the noise. take a small screw driver place it in one of the intercator hole and move the rounds to stop the sound. or just hit the mag on your hand to reset the rounds.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links