All Time Best Carry Handgun? Now w/ Poll: MERGED

This is a discussion on All Time Best Carry Handgun? Now w/ Poll: MERGED within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am carrying the HK P7M8 with two spare magazines (total 24 rounds Gold Dot +P's or equiv) and I LOVE this gun. It is ...

View Poll Results: Best Carry Pistol

Voters
624. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 19/23/26/27/38/39

148 23.72%
  • Glock 30/36/29

29 4.65%
  • HiPower/clones

14 2.24%
  • Glock17/22/37/21/20

9 1.44%
  • Kahr series

43 6.89%
  • SIG 220/225/226

12 1.92%
  • SIG 228/229

20 3.21%
  • CZ75/compacts/PO1/PCR/clones

13 2.08%
  • HK compacts

27 4.33%
  • 1911 5"

47 7.53%
  • 1911 Commander/Officers ACP

122 19.55%
  • XD/compacts

67 10.74%
  • Other semis

35 5.61%
  • S&W 19/66/etc./Ruger Security Six/Etc.

10 1.60%
  • J-frame / Ruger SP01/ Colt Det. Special/ Charter Arms

106 16.99%
  • Other Revolvers

13 2.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: All Time Best Carry Handgun? Now w/ Poll: MERGED

I am carrying the HK P7M8 with two spare magazines (total 24 rounds Gold Dot +P's or equiv) and I LOVE this gun. It is as safe as safe can be... a squeeze cocker. You MUST squeeze the grip in order for the gun to be cocked and ready to fire. Pull the trigger and bang every time. EVERY time. The gas discharge piston recoil system is inline and reduces 'flip' substantially as does the fixed inline barrel. It is about the best designed and most reliable handgun I have ever owned, bar none (and I have one of everything). Got a couple of P7PSP's the other day and they are about the same. Holsters were a bit of a challenge and we are still playing around deciding which holsters we like best. The gun is all metal and thus a bit heavier than normal today, but on the other hand it is very thin and conceals well.

I refuse to carry Glocks and anything else that has nothing between the trigger and BANG. It has GOT to have some sort of grip safety at the least although I will settle for a thumb break safety even though it can tend to slow things down.

We are talking about carrying with one in the chamber, of course, as speed to first shot is critical in concealed carry. Carrying without one in the chamber is sheer folly although many would argue that point. What one CANNOT argue is that one in the chamber is indeed faster than having an empty chamber and having to rack a round before firing. So I am a convert.... always one in the chamber and 8 in the magazine. And always two spare magazines on the opposite side of the belt. If I know that I am travelling into an especially bad area I will actually carry 2 plus 2 spare magazines on the weak side for a total of 41 rounds ready to go.... and the HK magazines are metal and built like a tank. I love them! Like I say, NEVER a failure of any kind so far. I would say that they are as realiable as... or more reliable than.... our beloved Glocks. I have no trouble carrying a Glock and prefer the full size handgun to the smaller HK P7M8 in a duty carry gun holster where the holster has the muzzle aimed at the ground and not at my butt or my family jewels (as in driving the car).

So, what would you say, if money was not an object, you would choose as your ideal in a carry gun? I believe that there is such a thing as TOO SMALL and I have avoided snubbies for that reason, although I would consider a featherweight as a backup.

MY PERSONAL CHOICE? Best all round CCW handgun? The HK P7M8, followed closely by the P7PSP. Dead accurate. Dead reliable. Super safe. Built like a tank. The only downside is the cost. But if I am betting my life on it... the cost is long forgotten after a few trips to the range.

What would you say is the best CCW handgun? BTW, my P7M8's (I have two of them) are going to have the slides plated and night sites installed. Pity it has no slide for a combat light.

To each his own. I admit they are good firearms, but Carrying a glock has never been an issue for me 10000+ rounds with no hicups. Follow good safety practice and keep your head out of your behind and there as safe as any other fire arm.
    Glock for me equals dependability and that's why I carry them.
    Jack dog

P7 is a VERY nice weapon.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Glock 19
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I don't have much experience under my belt. However, so far it is the 1911. Crisp consistent trigger pull, two safeties, highly customizable, parts available EVERYWHERE you look, and its a big .45.

Of course, if you asked me the same question a year ago, I would've said SIG p229. 6 months before then and it would've been Beretta 85 Cheetah or Taurus Ultralite revolver.

Who knows what the future holds.

kpw
    Mostly a Glock of some sort since 1991 and my butt is still in one piece. Mine go bang EVERYTIME, too.

Kahr P45.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

Glock 23. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot and it's perfectly safe.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool All time best carry handgun

Quote Originally Posted by torontogunguy View Post
    MY PERSONAL CHOICE? Best all round CCW handgun? The HK P7M8, followed closely by the P7PSP. Dead accurate. Dead reliable. Super safe. Built like a tank.
    +1
    Gotta agree with you on the P7.
    I have both but I prefer the P7 over the P7M8.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    The P7s are wonderful weapons, no argument there, and I am sure they are the best for you. I could just never get over the $ thing. which is a personal failing, I am sure............ Not sure they would be my gun of choice even IF I had unlimited resources.

LOTS of good weapons out there; most of them will serve well the role of personal protection.

I vary my carry guns; from GLOCK and Kahr to S&W and Springfield Armory. [1911]

Glock 23
    Springfield EMP
    CZ 75 Compact
    Ruger SP101
    Kahr PM9
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

VIP Member
    Love my CZ's

Having never owned a P7 (or some of the others mentioned), is it too smarty pants to simply say 'whatever I'm carrying when it saves my skin'? Coming home safely after any incident where it was 'them or me' would have me smooching it and calling it the greatest gun in the world.

Seriously, when it happens, that gun will probably be a short barrel 1911, to concurr with what several others have said, which means my Kimber Ultra...
    Last edited by Scot Van; February 23rd, 2008 at 12:27 PM. Reason: pics are better than no pics!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

4" 1911......and I don't even own one anymore.

Glock 23
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links