The XD Check in Thread - Page 2

The XD Check in Thread

This is a discussion on The XD Check in Thread within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tangle Euc, I hate to say this, but if you're talking about the two tone, it's not stainless. I bought my two ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The XD Check in Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Euc,
    I hate to say this, but if you're talking about the two tone, it's not stainless. I bought my two tone thinking it had a stainless slide, but it isn't stainless; it's just a bright, metallic finish.
    Well well well... wait until I get home.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Well well well... wait until I get home.
    I know - I felt the same way when I found out. I just kept lookin' at that slide for "stainless" to show up on it somewhere.

The thing is, not many people know it's not stainless.

Grrr that ticks me off. Had me fooled. I'd have just bought the blued one if I'd known that.

Oh well, it does mean my gun is different from all the other ones and it does look better at least.

There's a local guy here who will put any kind of finish you want on a slide for $70 so if it's ever really a problem there's your solution.

I bought a service model XD-9 2
    weeks ago.i've got 500 trouble
    free rounds thru it.I paid just
    $429.00 before tax at a local
    sportsmans warehouse.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    I've shot an XD40 with the ported barrel and really liked it. I'm thinking more and more that I might have to pick up a service size and a sub-compact. the SC comes first, because I'm thinking that instead of the G26 for an angle carry bug.

Anyway, that'll be a few years down the road I think.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Senior Moderator
    Grrr that ticks me off. Had me fooled. I'd have just bought the blued one if I'd known that.

Oh well, it does mean my gun is different from all the other ones and it does look better at least.

There's a local guy here who will put any kind of finish you want on a slide for $70 so if it's ever really a problem there's your solution.
    Euc,
    That's exactly the way I felt. I bought mine too, solely because I thought the slide was stainless. I found out after the fact, just like you. I just hate that I had to be the one to tell you. Now you'll hate me forever.

Someone would have told me eventually. Besides, maybe the "treatment" or "coating" or "finish" or whatever the heck it's supposed to be actually works. It's too early to tell. My slide still looks new. It's the blued parts that are already worn. I got a good enough deal on it I won't be outraged if I have to have this addressed eventually.

Everything has an Achilles heel after all.

I have an XD9 Service. I have lost count of the number of rounds but must be close to 2000 without any problems. This gun is a real work horse, completely dependable. While I understand some have had finish problems I have not and this is now my primary carry weapon.

I have the .40 cal XD in the service and subcompact model. Very happy with both!

DNM
    So here's to the XD40, service size ..., loaded with 12+1 rounds of 165 grain Golden Sabers. I have found it, and I am content.
    +1

But mine is black.
    \"Got party ammunition for those tryin\' to surprise me\"

Sig Pro 2009
    Soon to be a SA 4\" XD40...

love the gun, but the rusting is a disappointment

I am new to the forum, I really like what I have read so far, so great advice.

I love the way the gun shoots and feels. However if I leave the gun in my car while I am at work the slide starts to rust. This doesn't happen with any of my other guns, and it is a disappointment for a gun that was suppose to be able to stand up to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle1911
    I am new to the forum, I really like what I have read so far, so great advice.

I love the way the gun shoots and feels. However if I leave the gun in my car while I am at work the slide starts to rust. This doesn't happen with any of my other guns, and it is a disappointment for a gun that was suppose to be able to stand up to anything.

Clean the slide real well then really apply the oly and let it soak in the slide will actually dry out on its own then Wax it with car wax seems to stop the rust did on mine anyways

I clean my guns like a mad man so I don't think I should ever experience the rust issue. If I do, I'll have my slides refinished and that'll solve that problem. Even with that work, the XD still costs about the same as a Glock.

Reviving the XD thread...

I carry my XD9 Service (see avatar) everyday in a CTAC holster. I haven't done anything to it except pick up an XML light for it, for use when I'm at home. I've been feeding it primarily Winchester white box and Remington UMC and gone through ~1000 rounds without any issues. I couldn't be happier with my choice of CC gun.

I have an XD9 Tactical. This is my "Bump in the night" and range fun gun. This pistol is accurate, easy to shoot, points nicely and is an allround hoot. My only caveat is that the finish is not the most durable. When it gets worse for wear I will send it away to get redressed in a sexy little black number.

I have been concidering putting a light on it. I usually like my lights and weapons to be seperate but peoples input on this subject has led me to giving it a try.
    Shoot well and be safe

-Don

"The trouble with our liberal friends are not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links