Non-stock Glock for CCW

This is a discussion on Non-stock Glock for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read here and have heard from other places that things like light triggers, enhanced optics, and even ammo like HPs being used in ...

Thread: Non-stock Glock for CCW

Non-stock Glock for CCW

I have read here and have heard from other places that things like light triggers, enhanced optics, and even ammo like HPs being used in a defensive situation can be a nightmare in the courtroom. I don't understand this. It seems to me that if I'm more accurate with my weapon, everyone is safer. . .except for the BG. My Glock 23 now has a 3.5 connector and a 9mm barrel. I can already see that I am more accurate with this setup than with the stock G23. If I practice more often and become more accurate, does that give me an "unfair" advantage too? I'd like to hear from some other members on this. Thanks. . .
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

2. Remove Ads

IMO, nothing wrong with the factory trigger on the Glocks. Just learning to use it the way you want to. A 9mm barrel in a 40 cal pistol? That goes in a G19--not a G23. In my honest opinion?-----you should have sold your G23 when you didn't think it could do the job in the first place. I hate to think you're money behind now, but I'd look at alternatives some more. I personally don't believe you'll ever feel comfortable or happy with this pistol. Cut your losses and put an ad in the paper this week. You'll have no problem selling it and the extras. I'll apologize---sometimes the truth does hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by STORMVET View Post
    I have read here and have heard from other places that things like light triggers, enhanced optics, and even ammo like HPs being used in a defensive situation can be a nightmare in the courtroom. I don't understand this. It seems to me that if I'm more accurate with my weapon, everyone is safer. . .except for the BG. My Glock 23 now has a 3.5 connector and a 9mm barrel. I can already see that I am more accurate with this setup than with the stock G23. If I practice more often and become more accurate, does that give me an "unfair" advantage too? I'd like to hear from some other members on this. Thanks. . .
    Will the attorney opposite yours say things like that?

Yes.

Will it change anything?

Probably Not.

Will keeping your firearm stock and using crappy FMJ bullets make you seem like a nice guy?

No. The other attorney will just attack something else about you or the circumstances harder.

JMHO.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

FWIW

I carry a very custom Glock 19 full of JHP. The time to articulate your defense of modifications is before court. Your reason for a trigger connector is like mine, easier to shoot means easier to hit. That = safer. The response to JHP is simple. What is loaded in the weapons of the Bailiff, detectives that investigated the case, etc? I'll bet it's not FMJ. You work on your guns and practice with them so that you are more familiar with them, thus safer with them in public. You know through training and practice what you are capable of and know your limitations, I'll bet. Any decent "gun lawyer" should know this kind of stuff. You should be able to explain it simply and honestly.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Will keeping your firearm stock and using crappy FMJ bullets make you seem like a nice guy?
    Full Metal Jacket? "You mean those super penetrating bullets that the MILITARY uses?"

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Full Metal Jacket? "You mean those super penetrating bullets that the MILITARY uses?"
    Exactly. I'm glad you got it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

If I am on a jury and a guy hits someone with FMJ, I'm assuming the shooter is guilty and is really a BG, as good guys should know better.

Ram Rod, I considered selling my G23, I looked at all the possibilities. Last week I even had a post about my delima. I weighed my options and chose to take my chances with an aftermarket 9mm barrel. I now have a G23 that I can reliably fire either 40s or 9s. So far I am pleased with it's performance. The 9 barrel is heavy, like a bull barrel and it fits tighter than the factory 40 barrel. Now I can carry my 40 as a sidearm for hunting because it has more punch or swap to the 9 barrel and carry it as my CCW. No, there's nothing wrong with the factory trigger, but you have to agree that a lighter trigger pull means tighter groups. Thanks for your reply.
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

Honestly, if he swaps in a 3.5 connector, which some Glocks come with, who's going to know if he doesn't tell anyone?
    I've heard the arguments that a trigger job on your carry gun will get you in trouble in the event you're involved in a shooting, but I honestly don't think anyone is going to rip your carry gun down and check out every last piece, to ensure it's box-stock, if someting were to happen. I've talked to other people who I've run into at the range about it, and they're of the opinion that it's just an urban myth.
    On the other hand, I could see a prosecutor parading a gun around in front of a jury if it had visual mods like flames, a skull and crossbones, or something like "GO AHEAD, MAKE MY DAY" engraved in the slide, but I think that's just common sense.
    I'm not the most qualified person in the world, but I do carry a Glock every day, and I'm not the least bit worried about changing the connector, trigger spring, or adding extended controls to it.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Quote Originally Posted by packin45 View Post
    (sic)
    On the other hand, I could see a prosecutor parading a gun around in front of a jury if it had visual mods like flames, a skull and crossbones, or something like "GO AHEAD, MAKE MY DAY" engraved in the slide, but I think that's just common sense.(sic)
    What, like this?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ait-flash.html

Administrator
    "but I honestly don't think anyone is going to rip your carry gun down and check out every last piece,"

Actually, if there is a human that ends up in a "not alive" condition...yes, they will.

Well lets see, I have never seen a Glock that came from the factory with a 3.5lb trigger. For me 3.5 trigger is to light for carry. (mm barrel in a G23, saves on shooting cost. Did you change the ejector as well. Every conversion barrel I've seen comes with a disclaimer that it should not be used for carry purposes. If you check with Glock you will note that they suggest a complete upper to change the G23 to the G19. One more thing did you change out the recoil spring as well.
    Jack dog

kpw
    The competition models come with a 3.5 trigger. Sensible mods can be defended in court. Anything else, I shy away from.

thanks did not know that.
    Jack dog

Links